‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

18. Invasion of the Penguins

18. Invasion of the Penguins

(Nicole’s POV)

I’m awoken early the next morning to the sound of heavy knocking on my door. Jonathan is still sleeping as I climb out of bed. I open the door and find Sidney, Geno, Paul, Kris, Neal, Marc-Andre, and Vero standing in the hall; Nealer and Geno were in the middle of a shoving match – Andy, Saader, and Kaner had opened their doors to see what the commotion was about.

I waved the three Hawks off before stepping back inside, “Come on in guys.”
They all give me hugs before entering and take a quick look around.

“Nice place, Nic,” Paul says before settling into the recliner.
James claims the ‘L’ of my sectional, “Yeah, nice view.”

I smile at the duo, “Thanks. Make yourselves at home, drinks are in the fridge, T.V. is set up like back in Pitt; I’m going to change real quick then fix breakfast.”

I walk out of the room and see Johnny has finally woken, “Who is it?” he asks, running a hand through his hair – his voice still full of sleep.

I give him a quick kiss before tossing a Hawks shirt and shorts on, “The guys and Vero just got here.”
“Forget to set an alarm?” Johnny gives me a cheeky smile, knowing full well why I over slept.

I give him a look as I run my brush through my hair, “Oh I couldn’t imagine WHY I would have forgotten.”

Johnny laughs as I saunter out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking back into the kitchen, I find both Vero and Paul have already started prepping breakfast. Kaner, Shawzie, and Saader have joined the group bringing our grand total to twelve.

I start mixing batter as I half watch the group interact – James and Andy were arguing over what game to play, Saader was chatting with Kris and Flower, and Kaner was talking with Sid and Geno about the upcoming All Stars Week.

“Nicole?” Vero’s voice pulls me back to the present conversation.
“Sorry, what were you saying?” I give the Frenchwoman a sheepish look.

“I asked if you were finished stirring the batter or were you planning on hoarding the mix,” Vero says with a serious look – Paulie chuckles but turns the other way.

“Yeah, here,” I give her the bowl just as Johnny walks into the room.

Johnny wraps his arms around my waist and gives me a quick peck on the cheek, “Don’t worry Vero, the kitchen isn’t Nicole’s forte.”

“I’m still a better cook than Nealer.”

“Hey!” Paul can’t contain his laughter as James’ voice cuts across the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vero and I shoo the guys away from the kitchen once everyone is finished eating. They go without complaint and settle back in the living area.

“So,” Vero breaks the comfortable silence, “How is Chicago treating you?”
“Chicago or Johnny?” I give her a pointed look.

Vero gives me a small smile, “Both.”
“Chicago has been great, the fans are extremely respectful and have been welcoming,” I say as I dry off the plate.

“And Johnny?” Vero gently probes.

A smile breaks across my face – Vero doesn’t miss it.

“That good?”
“He’s been great…amazing really,” I tell her about our dates and what he did had planned for my birthday – I hadn’t realized how long it had been since I had truly talked to Vero.

She stays quiet until I finish, “So you are happy, Nicole?”
“I am,” I say without hesitation.
She smiles, “Good.”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

“Awe Come on!” Shaw’s voice floats through the apartment from Nicole’s guest room – she had banished Andrew, James, Brandon, and Marc-Andre from the living room so they could continue playing Mario cart; and by the noise, Shawzie was losing.

“So Jonathan, what are your plans for Christmas?” Vero asks- pulling me back to the conversation.
“Nicole and I are staying in the City this year,” I say, glancing over to where Nicole is talking to Sidney and Kris.

“This year?” Paul asks – Vero is simply waiting.

“Well yeah; we talked about going somewhere but with us having to play on New Year’s Day we decided to stay here. I want to take her home next Christmas though.”

“That’s a little presumptuous don’t you think?” Vero pushes – her question grates on my nerves but I know she’s just trying to size me up.

“No I don’t,” I say meeting her gaze, “I plan on sticking around…if she’ll let me.”

“Est-ce que tu l'aimes?” Her dark eyes cut into my own. (Do you love her?)
“Avec tout ce que je suis,” I answer honestly. (With all that I am.)

My answer seems to placate the feisty woman – she gives me a small smile before wondering down the hall.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

V and the guys stayed until after lunch before heading back to their hotel for a quick workout and a nap. We would see them at the arena later. Kaner, Saader, and Andy followed them out, wanting a nap before the game we had that night against Vancouver.

Johnny and I were settling in when I asked him, “Vero wasn’t too hard on you, was she?”
Johnny chuckled, “Nothing I couldn’t handle,” he said before pulling me in closer.

“I’m serious, Jon. If she wasn’t…..” Johnny placed a finger on my lips, effectively silencing me.
“Vero was doing her job as one of your best friends. She was in the right to question me motives and my intentions.”

“Your Intentions?” I question.
“Completely pure,” Johnny answer with a small smile.
“And your motives?” My eyes bore into his dark irises.

“One hundred percent selfish,” He say, before silencing me with his lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my Goodness guys! I didn't realize how long it had been since I last wrote!
I'm so sorry for the long wait and I hope this chapter makes up for it some. I will be working on another chapter to have posted this week so be on the look out!

A BIG Thank you my wonderful readers who checked to make sure that I was still alive!

As always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Let me know what you think!

Also I will be writing an All Star Chapter - It won't be for a couple of chapter still so it will coincide with my other story - this will be from Nicole's POV.

I am asking for suggestions on players you might like featured in that chapter. it can be from any team. the most popular request will have interactive places withing the chapter.

So here is what I need from you guys:
1. Place for contest
2. Captain's of teams
3. Co-Captains
4. Players for teams - this is forwards, goalies, and D-men

If you would like to see a particular pairing/faceoff please let me know.
Example: Kane vs Toews or Crosby/Toews vs Kane/Malkin

Like I said, I am looking for the most popular players mentioned. you can send via private messenger or simply leave a comment.

Thank you for your help!