‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

19. Welcome Home

19. Welcome Home

(Nicole’s POV)

Our game against Vancouver was successful; the final score was 5-1 in regulation. Vero and the guys came down after to congratulate us before leaving for the hotel. They had an early flight back to Pittsburg. I was sad to see them go; having my old teammates around made me miss them but I knew they would be back for the Winter Classic in a couple of weeks.

With our official break here, several of the guys leave the city to visit family. Our floor is unusually quiet – Kaner went back to Buffalo, Saader to Pitt, and Andy to Belleville.

I was in the middle of making homemade chocolate chip when Jonathan walks in carrying several large packages.

“What’cha got there?” I ask as I shamelessly watch him place the boxes under our Christmas tree.
He straightens and turns, giving me his signature smirk, “Like what you see?”
“Oh baby you know it,” I sass before he leans in for a kiss.

He chuckles, “Your parents sent them. They were at the front desk so I thought I would bring them up for you.”

“Thanks babe…..Hey!” Johnny had grabbed a cookie while my back had been turned, “Those are for the kids!” I chastise – The family skate was tomorrow, Christmas Eve, and I wanted to bring enough for the kids.

Johnny swallowed the remaining cookie, “It was just one….they just smelled so good….”
I giggle as he buries his face in my hair before placing several quick kisses against my neck.
“Okay, okay,” I push against his chest, “Go sit over there so I can finish this last batch.”

Johnny retreats to the living room. I can feel his eyes on me as I move around the room. I plate the last of the cookies and put the dirty utensils in the dish washer before taking my spot next to my boyfriend.

We sit in comfortable silence for a while before Johnny speaks, “It’s kind of strange isn’t it?”
“What’s that?” I question.

“How quiet it is,” I barely hear his whispered answer over the show we were watching.
I ponder for a moment, “It is strange; I’ve gotten so use to Andy, Saader, and Kaner coming and going whenever they feel like it…..it’s kind of nice though.”

Johnny gives me a playful look, “I could get used to it easily. May even look into getting my own place after this break.”

“Yeah…but then you would be so far away,” I say; the snow had started falling heavily, like someone had shaken a snow globe.

“Not if you move in with me,” Johnny’s words cut through my wondering thoughts.
“Wait…what?” I give him a puzzled look.

Johnny moves off the couch and digs through his coat pocket; moments later he reclaims his spot and puts a small, wrapped gift on my knee.

“What is…?” I start but he cuts me off.

“Nicole, I know we haven’t been together long but I know, for me, this feels right. I love you, and I wanted to do something to show you. So, I talked to some of the guys and they agreed that this was the next step, the right step, for us.”

Johnny stops talking and moves the small box to my hands. I shakily unwrap the gift. Opening the box, I let out a surprised laugh. Looking up, I meet Johnny’s mischievous gaze. He’s holding back laughter – waiting for me to answer.

“So….Will you?” Johnny probes, a smile threatening his features.
Out of the box I pull a silver key.

“Yes, I would love to move in with you,” the words barely escape when his lips crash down on my own for a heated kiss.

I pull away, causing Johnny to give me a puzzled look.

“I love you too,” I say – a genuine smile lights Johnny’s features as a warm feeling of contentment settles around us.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

Nicole and I arrive at the rink the next morning for the family skate. Snow fell gently around us as we made our way inside, but the warm, fuzzy feeling from yesterday was keeping me toast warm and the smile on my face seems to now be permanent.

As soon as we enter the family area, Nicole is pulled from my side by several of the wives. I watch as she immediately picks up Madelyn, the little girl had reached for Nicole the moment she get close.

“Hey Captain! You’re looking awfully chipper this morning,” Sharpie’s voice brings me back to the present.

“Morning Sharpie,” I greet the man long with several others who had stayed in the city.
Duncan walks over and offers a cup of coffee, “So how did the surprise go?”
I take a sip before answering, “Great…”

“Of course it did. You haven’t stopped smiling since you walked in,” Niklas chirps, causing the small group to laugh.

“I’m taking her after this to look at the place,” I finish, ignoring the jab.
“Things getting serious then?” Seabs asked.
“Yeah they are.”
Sharpie spoke again, “What about part two of the master plan?”

The guys all looked at me as I glanced back at Nicole, making sure she was still with the wives.

“He’s waiting at the new place; Nicole has no idea he’s here,” I say just as Coach walks in to announce that we can take the ice.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

Coach has announced for us to take the ice shortly after Johnny and I arrived. I helped lace Maddie’s skates; baby Sharp giggles the whole time. Abby and Patrick had offered to take her back but I waved them off and told them to take a couple’s lap. They breeze by as I help Maddie step onto the ice, causing her to laugh and nearly fall. I catch her easily under the arms and pull her upright.

“Want some help?” Johnny’s distinct baritone voice calls from behind us.
I give him a smile, “I think I can handle her.”
“I don’t know; she looks like trouble; like her daddy,” Johnny kneels closer to her level, “Are you trouble?”
Maddie giggles and latches herself around Johnny’s neck; he gives a genuine laugh and lifts the little girl up.
“See,” he says looking at me, “I told you she was trouble.”

The three of us skate around a while before Sharpie comes and claims his daughter back. Johnny gets pulled into a small three on two game with Seabs and three of the older kids; I take advantage of the break to look for some water.

“You two look cozy,” Abby walks over with a mug of cocoa and a bottle of water for me.
“Thank you,” I say, taking the water, “Where’s Mads?”
Abby pointed to the far end of the rink, “She’s claiming Corey at the moment.”

I look and see Crow bent in half to support the young blonde child. Patrick is close by and I’m convinced he’s chirping the captive goalie.

“She’s such a cutie,” I say, turning back to Abby.
Abby smiles, “Thank you,” she pauses before continuing, “So, any plans for tomorrow?”
“Probably stay around the apartment, Jon’s going to show me the new place this evening.”

Abby’s eyes light up at the mention of our soon to be new home, “Well if you two don’t have anything else going on, come by for dinner. Pat and I would love to have you.”

“Yeah, absolutely,” I say; a pair of arms slide around my waist.
“Sorry to interrupt, but do you mind if I steal my girlfriend?” Johnny asked Abby.

“She’s all yours.”
“Gee, thanks Abs,” I chirp, giving the dark haired woman a hug before Johnny pulls me away.

We return to the locker room and Johnny starts untying his skates so I do the same. He grabs my coat and his own before taking my hand and leading me out of the arena.

We drive for a little while before Johnny pulls over; we’re sitting in front of a dark brick town house. The front area is gated and a soft, warm light is falling across the snow from the front windows.
Johnny hops out and walks around the car. He opens my door and helps me out of the car. He offers his arm, which I take and escorts me up the front walk.

“Are you ready to see our home?” his eyes dance in the light; excitement etched on his features.

I’m too excited to answer so I just nod. Johnny gives me a quick kiss and a smile before opening the door.

“Ladies first,” he says with a slight bow.

The entry way has hard wood floors and a staircase leading to the second floor. Immediately off the hall is the living area; a Christmas tree trimmed in red and gold takes residence in front of the bay windows. The walls are a soft blue with white crown molding. A Black sectional sits opposite a large television that is placed over a lit fire. Off the living area is a modern kitchen with black granite counter tops and a breakfast nook. A large dining area with a modern style table is in an attached room. I can see a moderately large backyard with a high privacy fence.

I feel Johnny wrap his arms around me again as I take in the area, “There’s an office down stairs, along with the laundry and an entertainment area. We have four bedrooms up stairs and four-in-a-half baths. It’s not completely furnished yet. Our bedroom is the only ready; unless you don’t like what’s in there. We can change anything you don’t like.”

I turn in his arms and capture his lips in a heated kiss.

I feel him chuckling before I hear it, “So you like it?”
“I love it Jonathan. It’s perfect,” I say before giving him another quick kiss; I pull back when I hear a scratching noise, “What is that?”

Johnny moves away quickly, “Your third surprise. Wait here,” he says with a smile.
“Johnny,” I call after him but he disappeared.

I turn to examine the living room again. I can hear him open and close a door quickly. Thirty seconds later I hear his footsteps along with a clicking noise on the hardwood. I turn back just as a large black and white blur tackles me to the couch.

“Rex!” I exclaim as my dog starts whining and wiggling in excitement. I try to calm the dog, as he attempts to climb all the way onto the furniture. I finally feel Johnny pull against his collar; Rex continues to whine and tries to break free from Johnny’s firm grip.

“How did….When did….How?” I’m at a loss for words as I love on the Border collie, who now is belly up and begging for attention.

“I called your mom and arranged for him to be flown up. We have a yard that’s should be big enough for him; a dog park is five minutes away by foot. I know you missed him.”

I tackle the unsuspecting man to the floor and kiss him senseless, “Thank you,” I finally say when we break away.

He smiles up at me; Rex has retreated to a warmer spot in front of the hearth.

“Welcome Home,” Johnny says, running a hand down my back.
A chill runs up my spine, I give him a coy smile, “Show me the rest.”

Johnny takes the hint and, in one motion, carries me up the stairs two at a time.
♠ ♠ ♠
The FEELS!!!!
I really hope you guys enjoy reading this chapter as mush as i enjoyed writing it!

I'm still looking for suggestions for the All Star Chapter if Anyone would like to offer a suggestion.

Here's What I'm Looking for:
1. Place (Arena) for Contest
2. Captain's of teams
3. Player's for teams - Forwards, D-Men, Goalies

if you would like a specific pairing please let me know: Such as Crosby/Toews vs. Malkin/Kane

As always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!
I love hearing from you guys so let me know what you think!