‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

27. All Star Day Four

27. All Star Day Four

(Regular POV)

Nicole was one of the first awake and in the kitchen. She had started coffee for the zombie mob that would slowly but surely make its way down stairs. She sat at the counter, watching as the morning chef quickly whipped up her stuffed French toast – it wasn’t on the dinner plan but she had special requested it. She smiled and thanked the young woman before taking her phone and snapping a photo.

“You know that will be better if you eat it,” a deep voice startled Nicole from her early morning thoughts.

She turned and saw Chara walking past her to the coffee, “I know; but this way I can make a certain captain jealous,” Nicole said as she waved her phone.

The Bruin’s captain gave her a small smile before sitting with his own plate, “Playing mind games already?” he asked with a pointed look.

“All’s fair in love and hockey,” the young woman quipped.

The pair fell into silence as they ate the cooling breakfast. Nicole took the time to study the Slovak native; at 6′ 9″ he still towered over her petite frame even sitting – he was clearly a force on the ice, but off he was friendly toward her and the other players – that’s what bothered her the most about his attitude with the young Bruin still sleeping.

Nicole cleared her throat, “Can I ask you something?”
The larger man paused mid-bite, “As long as it has nothing to do with our play book, sure.”
Nicole smiled at the joke, ‘’actually it has to do with Tyler.”

Chara’s demeanor suddenly turns serious, “Did he do something? I can make him leave you alone if he makes you uncomfortable or is a bother.”

Nicole was surprised at the quick turn of events, “No! Tyler doesn’t….He’s no bother…..I mean I deal with Shawzie on a regular basis…..I was just wondering why you seem to be so hard on him….you’ve been so nice to everyone else here but when he’s around you seem to…..change? I think that’s what I’m trying to say.” Nicole can feel herself flush as she stumbles over her words.

Chara studies her for a moment, contemplating before he answers, “Tyler is incredibly gifted as a player; the organization did well in picking him before another team did and he can do well in Boston; but, he has a lot of growing and maturing to do; I want him to do well with us….that’s why I am so hard.”

“But he’s just a kid,” Nicole argues.

Zdeno nods, “A kid in an old-fashioned organization; You have to understand, Boston isn’t like Chicago, or Pittsburgh for that matter, if they decide that he is too immature and can’t be controlled, they will trade him.”

“That’s not fair,” Nicole says quietly.
“That’s the game.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Nicole’s POV)

The rest of the guys joined us to eat and soon we were shuffling out the door and onto the bus. The drive to the rink was slow thanks to the heavy traffic. I had grabbed a seat next to Tanger, who was showing me his newest family photo’s when a hand tapped me on the head. I turned to chirp the offended only to see Max smirking at me.

“Of course it was you,” I snark.
Max gives me his best innocent look, “What did I do?” Suter was trying not to laugh.
I ignore the question with my own, “Did you need something?”

Yeah, actually,” Max says, getting serious, “I need to get Breeze on the grounds, but they won’t let me or the guys bring her in….something about no significant others – they are a ‘distraction’ – which is total bull.”

“So what am I supposed to do?” I ask.
“Well…..I thought maybe you could sneak her in as you hair stylist or something?” Max gives me a sheepish look.

I scoff, “That’s so sexist,” I say jokingly.
“Please Nic? I told her how beautiful the place is and I would really like to show her so she can take some photos,” the sincerity in his voice catches me off guard.

I give the Frenchman a soft smile, “I’ll see what I can do.”

He returns the smile before moving further back to pester Geno. I turn back to see Kris studying me.

“What?” I ask, consciously running a hand through my hair.
Kris smirks, “You are growing up, mon belle.”

I give him a quizzical look, “What does that mean?”

He just gives me a small smile and turns back to his phone.

“Damn Frenchman,” I mutter.

I hear Kris softly chuckle and feel a smile creep across my face as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Johnny’s POV)

I was awakened early by the beeping of my phone.

“I swear, if that’s a booty call this early, I’m going to sick Galley on her,” Carey Price said from the bed across the way.

I roll to check the device, “Come on, Pricey, you and I both know Nicole could take Brendan any day of the week,” I chirp.

I open the text, only to see a photo of Nicole’s favorite breakfast item, fallowed quickly of a photo of her taking a very satisfied bite. I let out an exasperated sigh at my girlfriend’s antics, only to have my phone snatched away.

“Hey!” I exclaim as the goalie holds the device above my bed and out of reach.
“What is this?” he asks as he studies the photo.

“Stuffed French toast,” I answer.

Carey gives me a strange look, “You guys are weird,” he says before tossing my phone back at me.
“What? Why? It’s her favorite breakfast food,” I say completely confused.

“Yeah, I’m sure she loves to eat it,” Carey says, giving me a wicked smile.

I feel my face heat up when I realize what he’s implying, “Fuck off,” I say, but there’s no malice in the words.

Carey laughs, “Come on lover boy; let’s go get some food.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Nicole’s POV Practice)

I lean against the bench, huffing for breathe, as the guys run through different drills for the skills competition.

Tanger stops next to me and taps my shin, “What’s wrong, belle? Are the ‘hawks taking it easy on you?”

“Fuck off,” I say between in hails; Kris gives me a cheeky smile before skating off, he knows as well as I do that Sid’s running the drills like a man possessed – he wants to represent the City the right way and we are all feeling it.

Sidney skates up and grabs a water bottle, “Are you trying to kill us?” I ask before reaching for my own drink.

Sidney quirks an eyebrow, “Can’t keep up with Tanger anymore?”
I give my former captain my best ‘really’ look, “You know damn well I can skate circles around him,” I say.

“Prove it,” he challenges; pointing his stick at the blue line.

I skate over to the line as Sid calls Kris back – the action in the rink comes to a halt as guys move out of the way. All eyes turn towards us as Kris lines next to me. A low murmur runs through the group and I catch a couple of the guys shake hands out of the corner of my eye – they were clearly making bets.

I catch Kris’ eye and he gives me a curt nod; Sid skates in front of us, “First to make the circuit wins; on my mark.”

He holds his stick high above his head; Kris and I both crouch, getting ready for the blade to fall, “Ready.”

The guys shuffle to get a better vantage.

“Set.”

I hear several guys call out but I ignore them.

“Go!”

The blade cracks against the ice, sending both Kris and I leaping forward. The ice glides smooth under my blades as I race the blurred figure next to me; I can tell we are close as the first turn quickly approaches. I loose site of the Penguin when I turn left, he has to turn right. I pass the cones in a smooth glide, narrowly missing turning one over, and move into the straight.

I push as hard as I can against the slick surface; I can barely make out Kris’ form from the corner of my eye. I reach the second turn and see that we are paced equally. I come out of the turn and try to jump ahead; Kris is right with me – I can hear his blades cut into the ice. We streak to the finish, unsure who won because we were that close.

Kris and I both skate to the bench, sucking in air. The guys are chattering around us, arguing over who won. Sidney had skated to the camera crew that was there to document the practice for the network, and was trying to see who crossed first and fastest. Breeze was standing with the men, checking the footage.

“Glad to see you haven’t lost it yet old man,” I chirp when Kris bumps my side.
Kris scoffs, “You have a lot to learn, little girl.”

I give him a shove as the guys laugh at our antics.

“Were they always like that?” I hear Jamie Benn ask.

Max answers, “Yeah, they are practically family. You should see them gang up on Neal.”
“Its lots of fun,” Geno agrees with a chuckle.

“Jay’s like the little brother we never wanted,” I say with a smirk.

“Hey!” James exclaims with a fake pout when he realizes the group was talking about him.

“Not nice, Nika,” Geno scolds, “Hurt Nealsey’s feels.”
I skate over and wrap an arm around his waist, “I kid; I love this guy; how could I not?”

Sidney skates back over and breaks up our fun, “Alright guys; we have times and a winner,” he pauses to make sure everyone is paying attention, “so…….the winner is……..Tanger with a skate time of 12.123. Nic you skated a 12.124.”

“NO!” Nicole exclaimed.

“Yes!” Kris gives a victory whoop, “Nice try ma belle,” he says as he throws an arm around the small woman, “You are fast; But I am – still – faster.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Nicole’s POV)

After practice, I hurry through the shower and change in record time. I happened to see that Mario was here during practice and I wanted to catch him before he left. I practically ran through the familiar back halls, all the way to his office. The door was slightly ajar and I could hear him talking to someone. I knocked gently – not wanting to intrude. I heard him call out and I eased the door open. Mario was on the phone, but when he saw me, he happily waved me into the room and gestured to the chair. The call ended shortly after.

“Well! This is a surprise,” he said as he leaned back in the chair, “What brings you here, Miss Green.”
I give my former boss a smile, “Just wanted to say hello since I was in the area.”

Mario returns my smile with a laugh, “How are you, Nicole? Chicago treating you well?”

I ease back in the soft chair, “I’m good – Chicago has been amazing. Couldn’t ask for a better city –after Pittsburgh of course.”

“Of course,” Mario agrees with a chuckle.
We sit and talk for a while longer until Sidney comes and finds me, saying that the bus was about to leave.

Mario stands and gives me a quick hug, “It was good to see you, Nicole. If you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to call Natalie or myself.”

“Of course; give Natalie and the kids my best,” I say before stepping back, “Actually….I do have a favor to ask.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Johnny’s POV)

We return to the compound late in the afternoon and all I want to do is crash for a couple of hours. The guys slowly file off of the bus, and seeing as I was sitting near the back, I was one of the last off. When I step off, a blur of motion nearly tackles me to the ground. I only stay upright thanks to Kessel and Burns.

“What the hell?” I exclaim – I’m met with a high pitch giggle and a round of laughter from my team mates; looking down I realize my girlfriend is the offending mass. I smirk and wrap an arm around her, “Hey babe; miss me?”

Nicole gives me a cheeky smile, “Not even a little.”

I drop my arm and step away – causing her to pout.

She lets out a huff, “Fine – I’ll find someone else to cuddle and nap with.”

There’s a collective ‘Ohh’ and one ‘I volunteer’ – Ovi is the owner of the offer of course.

I let Nicole get three steps away before I grab her and pull her back possessively, “Not a chance,” I say, before leading her into our house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Patrick’s POV)

I was in the game room with Segs, Jamie, and Neal. We were playing Mario cart – I was winning of course. Sidney walks in and scans the room – the guy looks like he lost something.

“What’s up, Sid?” Nealer asks as his character falls off the rainbow bridge - again.
“Have you guys seen Nic? I wanted to go over some strategy ideas with her about the Defense pairings,” he says.

I answer, “Yeah, She went next door,” I feel four sets of eyes turn toward me so I pause the game, “What?”

“Why did she do that?” Tyler asks.
Jamie jumps in, “What could possibly be over there that she needed?”

Neal and Sid simply stare at the duo – it was kind of creepy to be honest.

I let out a sigh, “Did you two get hit in the head at practice? She went over because her boyfriend is over there and she wanted to nap – they always do after practice unless they have something else scheduled. Plus, Jake and Max went over too.”

“Gives a literal meaning to the phrase ‘sleeping with the enemy’,” Tyler says, “Ouch! What the hell!” he exclaims, rubbing the back of his head.

James had reached over and slapped the kid, “Say something like that again and it’ll be more than your head hurting,” the Pen threatened.

“Sorry – I was just joking,” Tyler says; he has the decency of looking sheepish.

If looks could kill, the young Bruin you be dead where he sits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Paulie’s House)

The group had arrived around 5 p.m. Sidney, Geno, James, Kris and Max had gotten to the house first with Nicole, Johnny, and the Staal’s pulling in shortly after – they had to go pick up Jered at the hotel.

Nicole couldn’t leave the young Staal out, especially after receiving a pouty picture and a complaint that she didn’t love him as much as the other three. Johnny had been amused while Jordan complained loudly about favoritism – Eric and Marc hit the younger Staal at the same time; causing a small ruckus in the back of the SUV.

After parking, Nicole quickly moved through the house and into the kitchen, where she was greeted by Paulie with a bone crushing hug, and by Cat and Breeze with softer hugs – Breeze turned and passed the brunette a glass of wine.

“We may need this tonight,” Breeze stated as the guys loudly moved around the house.

Nicole gladly accepted the stemmed glass, “I think I may love you,” she said playfully.

James had rounded the corner and heard the comment, “Max! Nicole’s trying to move in on your girl!” he yelled toward the open patio door – Max had retreated outside to watch Paul cook steaks.

The Frenchman poked his head in the door, “I saw her first!”

“I’m not a piece of meat, Maxime,” Breeze called out, causing the girls to laugh at the bemused expression Max had.

Cat clinked her glass against Breeze’s, “You’ll do just fine in this lifestyle.”
Nicole nodded in agreement, “So where is the little man?” Nicole asked.

Cat’s features softened, “My mom and Kris’ mom are watching him for us.”
“You have a son?” Breeze asked.

Nicole answered by pulling out her phone, “Yes! She and Kris reproduced possibly the cutest baby ever!”

Breeze studied the photo of the trio, “He is a handsome little fellow – he’s going to break a lot of hearts one day.”

Cat smiled, “Thank you; we are both quite proud,” she paused before continuing, “But just wait until Nicole and Jonathan have kids - la perfection!”

Nicole nearly chokes on the fermented grapes, “Whoa! Slow down there; there will be no reproducing for us right now.”

“But you want to?” Catherine asks; lowing her voice so she won’t be overheard.
“One day, yeah. I would love to have a couple of kids; but I’m not ready and I think Johnny would have a heart attack if it happened so soon,” Nicole reasoned.

Catherine nodded, “That is understandable…..What about you?” the question was pointed at Breeze.
Breeze blushed, “I would love to have kids; and Max is great…I wouldn’t mind but we aren’t rushing anything either.”

Jered and Jordan bustle into the open back door, cutting off the women’s chatter.

“Nic! Tell Jordan to stop picking on me!” Jered whined before slouching onto the bar stool.
“Nicole, tell Jered to stop being such a baby,” Jordan counters – bumping his younger brother in passing.

Nicole sighs as the other two women try to hold in their laughter, “Jordan, stop bothering your brother; Jered, stop whining – it’s not very becoming; and both of you take the silverware and plates to the table for me, please.”

Jered grabs the plates and sticks his tongue out at Jordan before leaving the room – Jordan hot on his heels.

Nicole shakes her head at the two. She feels a cold touch and looks to see Breeze holding out the bottle of wine, “You’re going to need more.”

“Seriously – love,” Nicole states as she pours another glass.
Max shouts, “Hands off!” from the deck; causing the girls to break into a fit of laughter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Regular POV)

After dinner was over, the dishes were washed and put away, the group moved to the living room. Paul lit a fire in the hearth before claiming his spot on the couch; Nicole was tucked into Johnny’s side on the sectional; Max and Breeze were snuggled on the love seat; Sidney had claimed the lounge chair; Geno and James were stretched out on the floor. The Staals had excused themselves after dinner – saying they needed to spend some time with their parents – and Kris and Cat had gone home to relieve their moms of baby duty.

The guys were all talking, Nicole was close to falling asleep – the warmth of the room, Johnny’s strong arms wrapped around her, and the comfort of having some of her closest friends near, had put the young woman into a state of contentment that she hadn’t felt in a while.

Nicole half listened to the chatter, the low rumble of Johnny’s voice lulling her closer to sleep. She could have easily nodded off if Johnny hadn’t needed a refill.

A hand gently nudged Nicole, and she looked up, meeting a pair of blue eyes, “How you doing, Nic?”

Paulie’s steady gaze shifted toward the open kitchen, where Johnny and Sidney were holding court with Geno and Breeze – Max had disappeared upstairs. James lifted up enough to look at the pair on the couch.

Nicole turned back at the same time as Paul did, “I’m happy, Paul. Happier than I’ve been in a long time.”

Paulie gives the young woman a soft smile, “Good; you deserve happiness, Nicole. Never forget that.”
Nicole returns the smile, “I won’t forget; I promise.”

The group in the kitchen laugh at something, catching the trio’s attention for a moment.

“What do you think of Max’s new girl?” James asks quietly; causing Nicole to turn again.

Nicole can feel Paul’s eyes on her as she mulls over the question, “I think; she’s good – she seems to be good a good person who makes Max smile….and Max deserves a good person that makes him smile,” Nicole answers.

Paul chuckles, “Kris was right.”

Nicole gives him a quizzical look, “About what?”

“You are growing up,” Paul answers with a smirk.

Nicole glowers at the Minnesota native, “Damn Frenchman.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you guys think!