‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

7. Surprise

7. Surprise

(Regular POV)

“Attention passengers – flight 343 will begin docking now. I hope you had a wonderful flight with American Air Lines. Have a wonderful evening!”

Nicole gathered the few belongings she had pulled out on the short flight and placed them back in her bag. Preseason had ended with the Blackhawks record being 5-2-0, a great start to a long season to come. Nicole flew Wednesday afternoon and planned on staying in Pittsburgh until Monday morning; there was a late practice she had to get back for in Chicago.

When the plane finally stopped and the passengers were allowed to move, Nicole grabbed her small carry-on and was the first off the plane; she didn’t want to waste another minute if she didn’t have too.

Nicole walked through the familiar halls with her bag slung over one shoulder. As she passed through the gates, she began to scan the waiting area for her ride. A smile broke across Nicole’s features when she spotted the familiar face.

“Duper!” Nicole raced across the short distance, dropping her back near the man in question, before launching herself into his waiting arms.

A hardy laugh rang across the way as Pascal swung the small woman around, “ma fille! My wonderful girl! We have missed you!”

Tears threatened to fall from Nicole’s eyes as Duper placed her gently on the ground, “I’ve missed you too, Pascal, and the guys.

Pascal gave Nicole a warm smile and picked up her bag, “Let’s get you home,” he said as he tucked her into his side and led her from the building.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Pascal’s POV)

I drove through the Pittsburgh traffic as Nicole chatted away in the passenger seat. I still could not believe that she was here again. I had been expecting – and honestly planning – on making a trip to Chicago with several others to see her. What was once Nicole’s home was now filled with painful memories, but when my phone rang early that morning I knew I could cancel the trip.

“Duper are you even listening to me?” I was pulled from my thoughts at this question.
“I’m sorry, what did you say?” I glanced at the woman in question as we idled at a red light.
“I asked where we were going,” Nicole gave me a questioning look, “Are you okay? You seem out of it more than usual.”

I gave a small laugh, “I am fine. Just surprised that you are here is all. I thought I would be the one flying out today truthfully,” I say as the light turns green.

Nicole shrugs, “No since in you guys coming up and missing out on time with the family. Plus it’s easier for one to fly than four.”

“Five actually. G, Tanger, Nealer, Paulie, and myself,” I correct her but I understood her point; even though we fly often, it’s normally on a private jet not a commercial airline and having the other four together would have been like having four children on the flight – otherwise known as a nightmare for single parents but I would be the parent.

A short while later I pulled into the drive of my home and grabbed Nicole’s bag – she had brought one small carry on seeing as she wasn’t staying but a couple of days. That and Carol and I still have some of her clothes stored here.

I unlocked the door and pushed it open to allow Nicole in first, “Welcome home, ma fille.”

Nicole took three steps into the room before, “SURPRISE!”

Nicole let out a yelp as she fell back into me; I was waiting to catch her, knowing from previous experience that she was the easiest person to startle with surprises. I helped right her before a flash of dark hair ripped the woman from my arms.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)

“Nicole! il est si bon de te voir! il a été une longue attente!” ((it is so good to see you! it has been a long wait!))

“English, V,” Nicole laughed and gave the dark haired woman an equally enthusiastic hug.
“You have been gone too long my friend! You must come back! Pittsburgh is not the same without you,” Vero pouted but a smile broke across her face shortly after.

Before Nicole could answer another pair of strong arms wrapped around her midsection and picked her up off the floor.

“Nika! You here!”
“Geno! Put me down!” Nicole laughed as the Russian placed her on the floor, giving her a proper hug.
“I miss. You hurt feels when leave and no talk.”
“I’m sorry, G. I promise to not hurt feels again,” Nicole gave the larger man another hug before circling the room.

Kris was the last to receive the smaller woman, “Hello, ma belle fille. It really has been too long.”
Nicole sighed as she was crushed into the Frenceman’s strong chest, “Kris, I missed you,” Nicole whispered, causing the man to smile, “And I you.”

The others watched the exchange; everyone knew the two had been close but showing affection had always been kept to a minimum and many were wondering if one or the other had been hiding feeling for the other.

Nicole noted that neither Sidney or Jordan were present but she wasn’t surprised – if anything, she had expected them to be missing the whole time she was in town.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV Thursday)

I woke up to a large mass landing on top of me and several giggles fallowing the sudden movement. I let out a groan and the giggling increased. My head was pounding from the night before – too much alcohol.

“Ugh! Get off!” I groan again as the mass shakes with laughter.
“Non, you must get up,” the mass says.
“Get off, Flower!” I try to role so he would fall off, but the Frenchman simply holds me in place.
“Get up,” Flower sings loudly and off key right in my ear.
“I can’t! You’re squishing me!” I whine into my pillow, the giggles have left the room.
“Get off her, Flower, so she can get up,” Duper comes to my rescue after his kids told him what was going on.

Flower moves out the door and I dress quickly and walk out of the room. I find several sets of eyes on me as I enter the kitchen and take a seat next to Paul at the island.

“Morning boys,” I say, taking the freshly poured orange juice from Nealer.
“Hey!” He exclaims as I take a sip, “That was mine!”
I give him my sweetest smile, “Well it’s mine now.”
“Children!” Pascal chastises us before we really get going; the other three laugh at our antics.

I turn to the others, “What’s on the agenda for the day boys?”
Geno pipes up, “Go food. I starving,” as always his statement is perfectly timed with his stomach as it growls.
We all laugh, “Alright G. let’s go get some food.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)

The group – minus Duper who was on Father Duties for the day – arrived at the small diner and quickly grabbed a booth in the back. Nicole slid in first fallowed by Kris with Geno and Paulie sitting opposite, James pulled up a chair since there was no more room.
The five ordered drinks and food before four sets of eyes turned to Nicole.

“What?” Nicole asked self-consciously and immediately trying to fix a nonexistent strand of hair.
“You’re really here,” Paulie said with a small shake of his head.
“I told you I would think about coming for a visit,” Nicole tried to point out.
“Yeah but you never said you were coming for sure. We were getting ready to head to Chicago to kidnap you,” James said half seriously.

“What’s with everyone wanting to kidnap me?” Nicole questioned causing to guys to look alarmed, “Not like that,” Nicole quickly said, “Greenie, Ovi and a couple of the Caps players said the same thing before preseason started.”

“We all have missed you over the summer is why, Nicole,” Kris said giving her a hard look.
“How is new team?” Geno quickly asked.

Nicole broke the prolonged eye contact to look at the man sitting opposite her, “They’re great. I feel right at home with them. Even live on the same floor with a few of the guys.”

Nicole saw a flash of hurt cross the Russians features when she referred to the team as home but he covered it with a smile, “Is good. They treat well or we hurt.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

The guys dropped me off back at the Dupuis after a long day of food, movies, video games, and just plain old catching up. I walked into the house, finding it quiet. I checked my phone to see if Duper or Carol-Lynn had called but the screen was bare. On the kitchen island was a note though, just telling me the couple and kids had gone out and to make myself at home if I arrived before them.

I was still stuffed from snacking all day so I grabbed a Gatorade and walked into the living room, flopping down on the couch. I pulled up some older messages from that day – mostly the Hawks players and a couple of Caps. I answered all the text when I received one from my Captain.

TAZER>> How’s Pittsburgh treating you?
NICOLE>> miss me already?
TAZER>> Always…..Just making sure you’re okay and that you’re coming back to Chicago. It’s strange not having you around.
NICOLE>> AWE!!! I’ll be back Monday
TAZER>> can’t wait :)

I felt a small flutter as I stared at the text. Johnny had been the best and was always there to help if I needed it but he didn’t try and just do things for me. My thoughts drifted to the night I went out with the team for the first time and the two of us dancing. I could feel my body heat up every time his hands brushed my hips….

I was jolted from these thoughts as my phone chimed again.

SIDNEY>> Can we meet up?

I sat stunned. This was the first time since our breakup that he had contacted me. I was unsure how to answer. Just seeing his name on my screen sent a rolling storm of emotion through my body. I wanted to see him but I didn’t know if I should.

A loud, pounding knock pulled me from my turmoil. I left my phone on the coffee table and went to see who was knocking so loudly.

Through the glass panes I could see a large figure that was clearly male. His back was turned to the door so I couldn’t see his face and the dim porch light didn’t help any way.

I opened to the door and peered at the man. He turned, revealing his identity.

“Jordan,” his name escaped my lips in a whisper as I gazed up, meeting his crystal blue eyes.

“Hello Nicole.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay everyone! I've had a crazy weekend and was unable to post until now.

RECAP:

1. Nicole goes to Pittsburgh
2. The team - minus Sidney and Jordan - give her a welcome home party
3. Tazer misses (awwee) her and she is showing early signs of having feels for him (Insert Happy Dance)
4. Sidney wants to see her (confusion)
5. Jordan shows up out of no where (mass shock) ((Not really. That seems to be his thing))

To try and keep the drama down at the party I figured no one would invite Sid or J. That is why they were not present.
Should Nicole go see what Sidney wants?
What does Jordan what and should Nicole even listen to him?

As always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!
Let me know what you guys think!