At the Bottom of the Ocean There's a Place for You and Me

Lead The Way.

Alex watched the shore from behind his rock, he claimed it as his own because it's where he goes when he likes to watch the humans. Not in a creepy way, he's just enticed by their lifestyle and the way they go about their life. Not many people come to this part of the beach though, it's not as clean and nice to look at. But Alex favours it because it means that people come here for more interesting reasons, he's been told that he's not supposed to talk to the humans, but what everyone back home doesn't know won't hurt them. They have such interesting stories to tell.

Alex readjusted himself on the rock, pulling his body out of the water and onto the rock, when he turned back around he noticed a black and blonde haired boy tentatively looking out at the sea. The sun was setting and even Alex had to admit it looked beautiful. The boy was cautiously dipping his toes in the water, letting the waves wash over him. To Alex it looked like a cleansing ritual, with his shoes and socks a couple meters behind him and his skinny jeans rolled up to his ankles. Alex wanted to take a picture. Keep it forever. Too bad photos don't last that long underwater without disintegrating.
He watched the boy for a little longer, admiring from afar. He felt drawn towards to him, he wanted to talk to him. Alex swam closer at a steady speed, not wanting to scare the black haired boy. Alex wanted him, wanted to keep him forever. As he got closer the boy looked up, and stumbled backwards a bit. Alex wasn't offended, it's not like everyone has seen a boy with a tail before. He got as close as he could without wanting to freak him out more, he lay next to him, the waves washing over his toned torso, making his tail sparkle under the sunset. The boy was captivated by it, watching intently as Alex swished his tail in the shallow waters, as he hummed a made up song under his breath.

Alex took a chance and decided to see if he could make the boy talk to him. Tentatively he said "Hey?" He watched as the boys eyes widened slightly and he stumbled backwards a bit.

Alex's heart dropped. Not again. "No, please don't do that. I swear I'm a nice person. Promise, or may my tail be eaten by sharks." He laughed dropping his head, and put his hand over his heart as he voiced his promise. He looked up at the boy through his long fringe, eyes sparkling under the hot sun. The boys lips curled in an almost smile. "H-hey. You- you're a-a-" he stuttered. "A mermaid yes, well done captain obvious." Alex finished the boys sentence for him with sarcasm dripping off his every word. He'd heard this a thousand times, the shock on people's faces was funny at first but it's starting to get tedious now. The boy smiled properly, cocking his hip and putting a hand in his jeans pocket. "Well excuse my ignorance, I was lead to believe mermaids weren't real." He said, just as sarcastic. Alex's arm gave out underneath him and he let out a whine, dropping his body flat to the sand, while the small waves went up his body. The boys face fell as he jumped and shouted, "Hey! Hey! Hey! You alright man?" He knelt down beside him and put his hands on Alex's shoulders, shaking him lightly. The water was soaking through his jeans making them soggy and gross but he was worried. Was he supposed to say that? Was it like the fairy thing? Did he have to clap? Had he killed the mermaid? Panic set in and he was shaking him more urgently, leaning over the figure on the sand. As he built up his panic more Alex couldn't hold it in any longer and he burst out laughing, the boy leant back confusion set in.

Okay, Alex lied. This bit does not get old. People seemed to think they were like fairy's, some people had even clapped furiously before. That was pretty funny.

"Oh my Zeus! You should have seen your face!" Alex laughed at him, watching the boys face turn to steel as Alex doubled over in laughter. "That's not funny! I was really worried then." The boy pouted. And Alex noticed that he looked really cute, hair messy from tugging on it with worry and the sun hitting his brown eyes, showing the depth to them. He tilted his head to the side, and smiled holding his hand out for the boy to shake. "I'm Alex." The boy shook his hand and replied, "Jack, I'm Jack." He stuttered.

Alex smiled, Jack he liked that. It sounded cute, he liked Jack, he seemed nice, he was easy to talk to and he grasped the whole mermaid thing a lot quicker than the rest of the people he's.. made contact with. Jacks face dropped as he looked down at the time displayed on his watch, he was supposed to have been home an hour ago. "What?" Alex asked him, eyebrows knitting together in confusion. He hadn't done anything wrong has he? "I was supposed to be home ages ago," Jack sighed, "I better get going." He looked down at his feet and went to pick up his shoes from behind the rock by Alex. Alex grabbed Jacks hand as he bent down to pick them up, "Promise you'll come back and see me tomorrow?" He smiled. Jack nodded in reply as Alex let go of his arm Jack used it to wave goodbye walking off in the direction of his house. Alex's eyes widened as he remembered he forgot to tell Jack something. "Wait! Jack!" Jack stopped and turned around, "What's up Lex?" Alex smiled at the new nickname, but tried to focus on the more important things, "Uh, you can't like, tell anyone? About me. Please?" He said sheepishly. Jacks face broke out into a grin and he nodded, "I know, your secret's safe with me. "

~*~*~

The next day Jack visited Alex again, talking for hours as they sat on the beach. Alex obviously half submerged in the water, while Jack sat on the rock next to him dipping his feet in the cool ocean. Alex asked about what life was like out of the water, what it was like to dance properly, how different schools where compared to what he was used to. Jack asked about what it was like to have gills, if he ever washed his hair, if he knew what common objects were. Alex knew some of them, but only the ones that people brought to the beach with them or that he'd spoken about to other humans. He explained that it's not all that fun being in water all the time and his fascination with hair dye and piercings. Jacks feet were starting to go wrinkly for being in water too long and he asked Alex why it didn't happen to him, Alex shrugged. He didn't know, they didn't have things like biology under the sea.

Jack took a deep breath, he knew Alex was going to laugh at him for this but he had to know. "Hey, Lex. Do the, uh. Do the fish talk down there?" He made an arrow with his finger as he pointed down and towards the ocean. Alex's face crinkled with laughter and Jack rolled his eyes. He knew it. "Jack, I'm not Ariel. That films not real." He said in between laughing. "How do you know about films? How've you seen it?" Alex looked at the boy and tilted his head to the side. "I've never seen it, but do you know out of the four times I've revealed myself to humans all four of them have told me about it. Apparently it's the only film about mermaids you have, and it's incredibly inaccurate." Alex chuckled. Jack huffed and crossed his arms, slightly pissed that he wasn't the first one to know about Alex. "I suppose that makes sense." He said.

Alex picked up on this and changed the subject. "Wanna race?" He said raising his eyebrows up at his friend. "I'm assuming you mean in the water considering your lack of legs?" Alex rolled his eyes, "Yes in the water you barnacle." Jack laughed at his insult but chose to keep quiet. "Sure. But I'm not a great swimmer. And you have what, nineteen, years of experience. I don't think that's really very fair." He challenged. Alex put his fingers under his chin, thinking about what he could do. Jack watched as some water droplets fell off his elbow. Alex started talking and it brought him out of his trance, he shook his head as he listened to focus himself again. "What about if I only use one arm?" He suggested. Jack thought that was fair enough. It's not like he could do anything else. "Sure. But I'm not swimming in jean shorts, I'll take them off. Give me a second." He said standing up to take of his pants, readjusting his boxers to low on his hips, he left his shirt at home, it was too hot for clothes today. The cold water would be nice. He jumped into the water, splashing Alex in the process. He bobbed his head up, laughing as he looked at Alex, "Alright, where are we racing to?" He said biting his bottom lip and tasting the saltiness of the sea. Alex looked around and lifted his arm out of the water, pointing in the direction of a rock about 12 metres away. "What about to over there?" Jack followed his outstretched arm with his eyes and nodded, "Yeah. Sounds good man. " he said as he raced off immediately trying to at least get a head start on the mermaid. Alex looked on his mouth open as he watched the boys legs go wild behind him. Smirking he lifted himself up and dove head first down easily passing Jack as he stayed underwater watching the boy try as his arms flailed wildly. He stayed underwater as he approached his final destination, he admired the way Jacks legs were moving underwater as he waited to suprize him with his victory. As Jack approached the rock he looked around, revelling in what he thought was his own victory. He turned around, looking back to the shore shouting Alex's name. "Over here, pretty boy." He heard coming from behind him, he slowly rotated sighing. "How long have you been here?" Alex smiled at him, "A while." He said with a wink. Jack blushed and looked down, grasping onto the rock to keep him upright.

Jacks heartbeat picked up as Alex made his way towards him, he pushed his hair out of his face. "Cheater." Jack whispered as Alex's face got closer to his own, following the lead of his hand. He closed his eyes as he leant into the mermaids touch. He felt a slight pressure on his lips. Then just like that the pressure was gone, he opened his eyes to look around but found no one. He called Alex's name as he swam back to the shore. He lifted himself onto the rock, twisting slightly as he made contact with the slimy rock. He sat down as he pulled his jean shorts back over his still damp legs, staying still as he looked over the ocean sighing. Jack touched his lips with the tips of his fingers, confusion setting in as he felt the almost salty taste on him. He smiled anyway as he got up and walked the journey back home.

~*~*~

Alex was back at the beach again the next morning. He didn't want to get too close to this boy after almost being caught the last time. If his parents ever found out he was communicating with a human he'd be in solitary confinement for the rest of his days. But something about him just didn't care, just wanted to know the boy more. It made it all the more exciting to him. This was why he was back. He needed to see Jack.

According to the other humans he's spoken to it takes a while for them to fall in love. It seems that mermaids have an increased capability of loving and of needing to be loved back. Shortening the time of confusing love with lust drastically, obviously clouding Alex's judgement on the human boy. His eyes sparkled as he spotted a figure walking along the beach towards the rock where they met a few weeks before. After talking nearly all day every day for just over two weeks Alex felt like he'd known Jack forever. He started swimming slowly up to it not wanting to frighten the boy away if he hadn't done that already. He frowned as he thought about that. It's not fair that no one agrees with him. It is possible for someone like him to love a human and he hoped it was possible for a human to love him, it may take time but Alex thought he could wait.
Jacks voice broke him out of his thoughts. "Lex?" Alex looked up into the boys brown eyes as he smiled. "Y-yeah." He replied tentatively, trying to keep the eye contact for as long as he could hold it for. "Wh-what happened yesterday? I-I don't understand?" He whimpered stuffing his hands inside his hoodie pockets and breaking the contact. Alex hung his head, "I didn't mean to do that, I was just scared. I know feelings move slower for humans, and I just didn't want to-to scare you off by being too pushy." He replied running a hand through his wet hair and leaning his elbow on the rock as he rested his head in his hand. "I wanted to prove that not all humans are bad. That they can care about us, and that-that not all of them want to harm us." He swished his tail behind him rhythmically, as his brain fought to keep up with what his mouth was saying. Jack nodded and sat down legs dangling next to where Alex was leaning. "I care Lex. I think you're incredible. And no, not all humans are bad. They're just," he paused trying to think of the right word while he scratched his head, "intrigued?" He questioned himself, shrugging when he couldn't think of a better word, "about your kind. I mean we only know about you through movies and kids tv shows." He answered sighing and tilting his head sideways to glance in Alex's direction. "Wait. What do you mean about about feelings moving slower?" Jack questioned looking up and down Alex's long body. "Well humans tend to believe it takes a while to fall in love. Whereas mermaids' emotions are sped up, the time between lust and love is drastically shorter?" Alex replied, questioning if Jack understood. "Oh. I didn't know that. But why are you talking about tha- oh." He said, stopping himself halfway though his sentence, realisation kicking in. "Do you-you think you love me?" He whispered looking down at the water. Alex shook his head, "Jack my problem is that I don't think I love you. I do." He sighed. Jack looked at him, tilting his head and raising an eyebrow, he'd never been in this situation before. "Oh." Jack said, dragging out the o. Alex looked up at him expectantly. "Well," Jack paused furrowing his brow, "no offence but maybe if there wasn't so many obvious difficulties," he said shrugging and using his arm to gesture to the lower half of Alex's body, "I think you'd be really easy to love. With time I mean." He emphasised the last bit by saying it slower and making eye contact with the mermaid. Alex's eyes lit up, "So what you're saying is if I wasn't a mermaid you would be with me and we could live happily ever after?" His voice getting progressively louder as he got more excited. Jack smiled and replied, "Well, yes. In theory, but obviously life doesn't work that easy?" Alex thought about his options before concluding what he should do. "I know! My aunt knows some spells, I'm sure she'd have one that could make me human! We should go see her! Now!" He all but shouted at the boy, grabbing his hand, "Come on Jay!" Pulling on Jacks hand he took the weight that was holding him up from under him, suddenly submerging him into the cold water silencing what he was going to say. After he got over the initial shock of being fully clothed in the water he opened his mouth to ask what was going on however Alex got there first by placing his mouth over Jacks already partially open mouth. Kissing him softly full of excitement, he pulled back and looked into the boys eyes. "I can fix this." He said full of seriousness. He hauled his entire body out of the water to give him speed, changing the angle so he was holding Jacks wrist to make it easier for him to swim, he plunged back down into the water, taking Jack down with him. Splashing wildly, Jack struggled with Alex's arm restraint, he tried to pry his arm out from Alex's grip but he was too strong, he tried to stay calm. Jack watched as Alex swam ahead, never looking behind him. Jack held his breath as Alex continued to pull him deeper and deeper into the blue depths of the warm sea. He frantically wiggled around kicking his legs and internally screaming, hoping that the mermaid would stop and let him go back to the shore. His face was going red and he could feel the weight of the ocean putting pressure on his human frame. His brain was telling him to give up, the lack of oxygen in his lungs was making him dizzy. He struggled against Alex's vice like grip on his wrist. Alex never looked back. He laughed as he thought about all the fun he and Jack will have, their wedding, introduced to parents. His heart swelled with love, he knew that from now on his life was changed. He was babbling on about how his aunt was going to be so happy for them and how they were going to live happily ever after.

But Alex never looked back.

He never checked on the boy he had so deeply fallen for.

He had forgot in that instant that humans can't breathe underwater without help. He forgot all this in his quest to make Jack happy. To make himself happy.

He spun around and was faced with blue lips, and a light blue tint to his skin, he kind of looked like he belonged in the ocean. His heart sank as he realised what he'd done.

He watched on as Jacks hair flowed upwards from being dragged down for so long, swaying with the ocean as if he was part of the scenery. Alex couldn't believe that this had happened, couldn't believe that this had happened again. His face crumpled as he watched Jack bob up and down with the flow of the water.
He'd killed the boy he loved.

How could he have forgotten that humans can't breathe underwater? He was so selfish.

He should have learnt by now.

Looks like he can keep Jack forever after all, in his hiding place of forgotten eternally preserved lovers.

This wasn't the first time this had happened.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I started writing this over a year ago and forgot about it.
I don't really like the ending but whatever. At least it's finally done.

Comment and let me know what you think :)
~Ally :3 x