The Wait

The Wait

Astrid entered the small restaurant, got a table, sat down and took out her phone. It was a coping mechanism. You know… to hide her own awkwardness. She hoped that he would come soon, or not at all. She could be home watching Netflix and eating noodles. But her friend had insisted.

“Single on Valentine’s day? Uh nooo… not this year.” Mary Jane had a boyfriend. One year last month. She always had a boyfriend, someone always hanging off her arm.

Astrid scrolled through the Instagram pictures. People she had known for years somehow found a person to share their life with. At least Astrid had a cat. She always joked about becoming a cat lady. It didn’t bother her at all. She was used to being alone.

Xander. Asked her to prom. It was fun. Nothing else happened. He now lives on the other side of the country where the winters are harsher. He’s going places.

A text appeared on Astrid’s phone.

Mary Jane: How’s it going? Wink Face.

Astrid responded: Just got here. Waiting for him. Wish me luck!

Mary Jane answered with an emoji four leaf clover.

Astrid was happy to have a friend like Mary Jane. At least she had friends.

Walter. Their relationship didn't have a label. It went on for three months, but Astrid ended it. She knew she hurt him. She knew she changed him. But he wasn’t ready… Astrid wasn’t ready. Afterwards he went out with Mary Jane. That was okay.

Astrid looked around the restaurant. The candles lit the room with that ambiance of romance, the rose pedals on the table, and the pink decorations hanging from the ceiling. It definitely was that time of year.

Benjamin: She had a crush on him freshman year. The only guy she confessed her love to. The next day she was so anxious to see him at school she puked. Two days later he was going out with Mary Jane. Funny thing… Mary Jane still doesn’t know.

Astrid looked across at a couple making eyes at each other. She imagined their whole life story as something out of a romantic comedy. They bumped into each other while walking their dogs. She owns a black lab, and he owns a boxer. They were attracted to each other immediately. They’ve been officially going out for five months. They’re still in that weird nickname stage. Her nickname is Baby Cakes and his is Boo Bear. She’s a nurse and he’s an accountant. It was something like that.

Carlisle. Took Astrid to homecoming junior year. The next day he told her he was interested in someone else. Astrid should have seen that coming. The rumours about him were extensive. But she wanted something to be hers… just once.

Astrid was finished looking through all the social media apps on her phone. Now all she could do was wait. The waiter brought the menu for her and some water. She nervously sipped.

Fred. He took her to the Winter Ball sophomore year. The next week she introduced him to Lucy Jones. They were together for a year and they broke up the day after prom. Astrid always knew they wouldn’t last. They were too distant. Lucy’s heart wasn’t in it. But he loved her...

Astrid played with her napkin trying to see how many weird ways it could be folded.

Dylan. Asked her out but she declined. Two days later he asked Wendy Buchanan to be his girl. They’re married now. So young.

Astrid looked once more at her phone. Mary Jane had sent one more text.

It read: Sending happy thoughts! Smiley face.

Astrid thought that maybe today day would be the day. But she wouldn’t give her hopes up.
Someone approached from the corner of her eye.

“Excuse me? Astrid?”

Astrid looked up into the eyes of a stranger. “Yes!” She stood up to greet him.

“Hey! I’m Daniel.”

Daniel. Someone she met on a blind date....