Status: based on universe 681.

The Call

battle cry

The halls were alive with children. Fawn stumbled as a few rapidly slid past her, almot making her spill her coffee. She slammed her palm against the column in front of her and laughed when they shouted an apology behind them. The kids were running everywhere, despite the rule that clearly stated it wasn't allowed, yet she couldn't bring herself to scold anyone; it was a good day.

"Those damn kids," she heard Logan growl as he discended the stairs.

"Oh, cheer up, gruffball," Fawn grinned at him. "Today we celebrate!"

"Who cares?" he skipped the last step and, as always, refused to meet her eyes. His brooding figure always made her feel safer, somehow. She'd come to enjoy his presence in the Institute very much, feeling a swell of gratefulness for the Wolverine whenever she saw him. "He hasn't even won the elections, and it's just another candidate. He ain't gonna be the president, that's for sure."

"That's something you don't know," she looked at her mug of coffee; black, since she needed the energy, before handing it to him. He seemed surprised for a moment before taking it, nodding at her. "Come on, Logan, it's great news!"

She turned to walk towards the kitchens, where the kids were surely piling up. She looked behind her to see Ororo and Scott stepping inside from the front door. Storm looked beautiful today; radiant, smiling brightly like no other day. Scott looked giddy, if that could be possible.

"Soon mutants will make history!" she shouted, punching the air with her adamantium fist. One of the teenagers in the lounge room cheered after her.

Hank was with the kids, explaining why it was so important that Robert Johnson was a candidate when she entered the kitchen. Immediately, she had a child on her arm and her leg, both the adamantium ones.

"Do the monkey bar! Do the monkey bar!" Mimi called, pulling on her arm. Fawn threw her head back and laughed, flexing her arm and supporting her, swinging her around carefully. Jim, on her leg, giggled as she stomped around. The kids began to climb on her bar until she fell to the floor and Hank began to laugh louder than anyone else.

"I'm sure Fawn would feel better if she could breathe, kids," the telltale sound of Professor Xavier's wheelchair made a clearance, letting her sit up on the floor, still surrounded by her youngest students. She saw him cock an eyebrow, obviously in a good mood. "I believe you told me you wouldn't be persuaded to be a mother instead of a teacher?"

"But she's the music teacher! She's allowed!" Peyton whined.

"Sorry, Professor X," Fawn shrugged. "the students have spoken."

"Very well, then," he chuckled, rolling by to have his serving of the morning.

Fawn felt the buzz in the air as she sat next to Gambit, in front of Bruce, who gave her a wide grin. Remy nudged her side and pointed to the butter wordlessly, which she quickly passed.

"Merci, chere," he winked. "So it seems we have a free day as the X-Men?"

"We do," Jean let a soft smile take over her features. "but we have class, Remy, don't you forget."

"Half day, sugar," Rogue reminded her. "Don't ruin everyone's mood."

"I should probably make this class special or something," Fawn mumbled under her breath, looking outside the window. "I could always do it outside. It's a nice day."

When they were done esting and Logan had finally stumbled into the kitchens to sit on a corner, Fawn wrote on a piece of paper that she stuck to the front door of her classroom for the kids to meet her on the backyard. Jubilee found her struggling to move the piano and helped her out. 

When her class began, everyone was outside.

"I am greatly embarrassed now," she laughed as she turned the piano slightly. "I thought this would be a normal class but it seems not. Anyone want to sing with me?"

"I will," Jill, a girl who was soon to graduate, stepped over to stand next to her. "What are we playing?"

"Do you know the Call?" Fawn saw Logan against the back door, watching the kids run around with a little betraying smile on his lips.

"By Regina Specktor, right?" she tilted her head and Fawn nodded.

"I know that one!" Marina, a little ten year old waved her hand on the air. "You taught me that one!"

"Yes, you know it on cello, don't you?" Fawn saw the gap between her teeth, the one she could but wouldn't let the adults fix. "Go get your cello, then, sweetie."

Soon it was the three - four of them, since Marcus joined them with his flute. The kids had all seen Narnia, it was only normal they wanted to participate in this song. 

And as it began and she played on the piano and heard Jill singing from between all of them, she saw the teachers, professor X, the kids, her students and friends that had been there for the last seven months of her life. She thought of her cousin, long lost, and Tony, probably getting into trouble. She saw Bruce, watched him watch his own students with a sort of pride only teachers and parents could have.

"And then that word grew louder and louder 'till it was a battle cry," Jill smiled. "I'll come back when you call me. No need to say goodbye."

And she felt love.

She felt it deep inside her ribcage, growing and growing to an overwhelming feeling that made her want to grin and cry at the same time. Kids joined. So many kids, all of them outcasts and afraid of their own abilities yet they were so happy to be here. The opportunities this Institute gave them were priceless, and once again she felt gratefulness to have someone like Charles Xavier living among them.

"Let your memories grow stronger and stronger 'till they're before you eyes. You'll come back when it's over. No need to say goodbye."

She felt love. She felt loved. And, above all, as she found familiar brown eyes watching her next to Logan, with his goatee and Black Sabbath shirt and oil stains on his crossed arms, she felt home.

"You'll come back when they call you. No need to say goodbye."