The Quest

Chapter 2

Amanda and Sienna were in the door way within the next instant, wide eyed. Amanda looked sick, she took one step back and bolted. Tabitha smiled, told Sienna to go after her . Her voice did not stutter or stammer, she was proud of herself for that. Once she was alone, she took two steps away from the body and started pacing. She wanted to leave the room but didn't feel right doing so. After all, she was Lizzy's mother.
Tabitha paced towards the door and back again,when she grew the courage, she closed the woman's eyes kneeling in blood to do so. She repeated her pacing once before the room grew humid and charged. Two things happened very quickly. The wall behind her shattered, pieces falling like glass crumbling to ashes at her feet. The room grew brighter, bleaching the colors from everything.
Soldiers moved like a sea of gold into the room, none looking fully human. And then she was surrounded, the armored creatures all had really sharp looking weapons pointed at her. One was currently pressed into the small of her back. She slowly raised her arms, palms out. One of the creatures, a tall thing; willowy with too many joints and greying skin, barked orders she couldn't understand. More of them rushed into the house. Tabitha wanted to scream and she started to until the blade pressed further into her back.
“Say anything and you die.” The one standing behind her warned in heavily accented English. Tabitha stayed silent, googling her brain fora accent like that. She found none. Two soldiers came back , half dragging half carrying a very reluctant Sienna. Amanda walked slowly behind one. Both had their humans behind their backs, bound in something red that gave off light . Neither of them had pointy weapons pointed at them. She tilted her head back, to catch a glimpse of the one behind her. He was kind of cut; with beautiful features caved out of alabaster skin and silky hair. She paused, trying to take in the rest of what she was seeing. From the waist down, the man was snake with yellowish green scales. Once she manged to stop staring, she asked “Don’t you think this is a little over kill?”
He looked at me with displeasure “What did I say about speaking?” he hissed.
“Yeah but if you wanted me dead, I'd already be a Tabby kabob.” She stated cautiously, smiling. “So about these” She nodded at the two freak shows in front of her.
He narrowed silted eyes but his white skin turned preach, he growled something in that guttural tongue. The two other stepped away, weapons out of sight. He reached around grabbing her up stretched hands , pulling them behind her back. Something warm and pulsing slid around her wrist. It harden almost painfully . Scratch that, it was painfully.
“Ow!”She yelped “ Was that necessary?” She barked
He gave her a bland look, his response was cool “I do not know. Can you tell me?”
She would have said something back however the movement of soldiers drew her attention with their low bowing. In one movement, all of them lined up on both sides of the portal bowed at the waist soundlessly a feet in its self with all that heavy armor.
Someone walked though the glaring light. He wore no armor had no weaponry . He looked like a walking statue;skin like gold, hair like short curling strands of copper, gossamer wing folded behind him. He was wasn't very tall, although walking though that portal he looked like he might have been a giant. He stopped a little in front of the portal, all regal and determined at least until he saw the dead body on the floor.
The man-fairy-seemed to deflate, rushing to her side, scoped her into his arms and shook. He seemed to curl in on himself, around Lazuli's mother. The moment seemed too intimate to be seen. Then said something in that guttural language, the words some how manage to calm and malevolence. A female soldier stepped forward ruby skinned and blued haired. They had a short curt sounding conversation as the man stood with the broken body in his arms.
The soldier placed a fist over her chest and bowed. The man walked back into the portal without another word. The soldier turned her attentions back to the room and ordered something.
“What did she say?” Tabitha asked
The creature said nothing, throwing her over his shoulder and slithering towards the portal. Tabitha screamed, kicking and flailing against metal armor. She wasn’t alone in this. Sienna and Amanda were squiring and fighting too. Their struggles were not enough as all of them were pulled into the jagged portal.
The centaur carrying Sienna sat her down as if she were made of glass. She gave him her best scary glare, which wasn’t very scare to her disappointment . He responded with a kind smile. When she couldn't glare any more, she looked to see if her her friends were any where near her. They were but didn't keep her attention very long. The spacious corridor drew it instead with its white stone walls that sparkled in the dim torch lights. One side of the corridor had immaculate carvings and tapestries with images of the wildest creatures in various scenes: from performances to daily life and even the bloodiest of battles. The walls curved upward into arches hundreds of feet above her head. Arch windows lined the other side of the of the wall showing a night sky illuminated with thousands of stars and a perfect crescent moon.
She felt like an idiot after wards but she stared at everything opened mouth, eventually the centaur landed an hand on her shoulder, guiding Sienna along down the hall with her friends. Tabitha was still being carried by her guard, who Sienna believe was a naga but she wasn't sure. Amanda walked a little head of her flanked by a female something with long purple hair. They were guided into what looked like a small study; soft velvet chairs sat in a circle, the room was lit by laps. Electrical laps instead of torches to Sienna's surprise. Wooden stairs led up to a rise platform with rows of books. The door closed behind them, disappearing.
At this, Tabitha swore, hands flat against the wall. Amanda did the same, but not in angry like Tabitha, she was curious, looking for a switch of some sort. Sienna sat in one of the chairs, two people were already looking for an explanation, she felt no need join them. Amanda grew bored, then came to sit next to Sienna; adjusting her glasses her nervous twitch she looked around the room with awe before losing interest. Tabitha kicked the wall before siting next to them cursing it again.
“So what do you they gonna do to us” Tabitha grunted, arms and legs crossed.
“Obviously we're here for question.”Amanda answered
Tabitha grunted again, before the room went silent. The door reappeared after what seemed like hours of nothing. It swung soundlessly as a tall woman walked in. She was built like Tabitha: tall, athletic and curvaceous. She moved dainty, every thing about her seemed delicate from her golden skinned to metallic spiral curls. Her face was familiar and ageless. Amanda gasped, apparently she'd seen something Sienna had missed . She sat down in one of the chairs in front of them and smiled.
“Hello Ladies.” Her voice was silvery and thick with accent, “My name is Argante, it is a pleasure to meet you, although I wish it was under better circumstances.”
“We've meant before, you're Elizabeth’s aunt” Amanda said
As Sienna looked at the women in front of her, the more she could the sweet lady who would take them shopping every time she'd come to visit. Argante smiled, little surprised but pleased. “Yes, I am. Most would not” She responded.
“I'm not most” Amanda said haughtily
“You are not.” She acknowledged with a smile, “Now” her voice was more serious “Lets discuss the events of this night.”
The girls recounted their from the end of the school day to the present. Argante sat contemplating, at the end of their story she thanked them.
“What's going to happen now?” Tabitha asked
“You don't need to worry about that my dear.”
“No!” Amanda said with surprising force. Argante jumped a little in her seat. “We answer your questions. Now you answer ours! I want to know where we are and who exactly you people are you?” She commanded.
Sienna expected Argante to be annoyed, maybe even angry, after all she probably felt they have no right to know anything about tonight going ons. But instead of agitation, she almost looked pleased, maybe even delighted.
“You are in Avalon, at the court of the Seelie. My self, Elizabeth and her mother are part of its royal family. Elizabeth was probably taken by the Unseelie most likely to hasten war. Since now would be an inopportune for that, we will need to retrieve her quietly. Any more questions?”
“Is there any we can help?” Sienna asked then felt like a fool for doing so.
Argante looked taken back, but again not displeased, she paused in thought and we about to speak before Amanda said “Let us go.”
Tabitha jumped in “Yeah! We're a separate party. If an unidentified party does the saving, the Seelie may not be blamed.” As ridiculous as this idea was, it was not turned down outright. Instead Argante listened, glazing at them intently.
“You do realized, you are volunteering for an incredibly dangerous mission that you may or may not be able to complete or even attend.”
“Would Lizzy do it for us?” Sienna asked
“For you three? Yes I do believe she would.” Argante avowed
“Then you have your answer.” Amanda added
Argante nodded slowly, stood and walked to the door which hadn't disappeared, she told them to stay there before leaving.
“Did we do the right thing? Is this a good idea?”Sienna asked more to her self than the girls siting next to her.
“Depends what she says when she comes back. Besides Lizzy is our friend.”
“True but this it incredibly trusting of us.” Amanda stated
Before anyone could response, Argante came back into the room stood in front of her chair and stated very calmly “I, Argante Verenestra; daughter of Morgan la Fey, accept your offer and will provide what you need to complete the task you have acquired.”