Status: I'm still figuring the whole layout thing out. So, I'm really sorry that it doesn't look good.

Drifter

Two - 363 days before

A noise interrupted the conversation that they were having. It came from the other side of the rock, where two bushes were sited. John was the first one to get up and ask who was there, “which if it was a horror movie he would be screwed” Lana thought. But the people who came out were not killers, Jane and Garrett appeared.
“Oh My God, I was looking for you, but I think you are in good hands.” Jane winked at John.
“I think so… I’m sorry for disappearing anyways.” Lana said
“It’s okay.” Jane said “Garrett and I will give you privacy.” They laughed and turned their backs and left.
“I think it’s better for me to look for Kennedy.” Lana said picking her beer cans off of the floor and the flashlight.
“Okay, I’ll help you.” John took the cans off of her hands and walked by her side.
The moment they came closer to all of the people the heads turned their direction. It was uncomfortable and weird for Lana. Some of them made comments with others. Lana and John started to look for Kennedy, he was nowhere to be found. So they sat, drank more beers, talked about weird things and Lana did her Drunk Lana Theories presentation.
It was almost 5 am when Kennedy made himself appear from the shadows. He was holding a really gorgeous girl’s hand. They stopped in front of Lana and John and smiled.
“So… Let’s go?” Kennedy asked
“Yes, sure.” John replied helping Lana to get up. “So, you guys are a thing again?”
“Yes, I think so.” Kennedy laughed.
The girl - whose name was Angela – sat on the passenger seat while John, Lana, Jane and Garrett squeezed in the backseat. The radio was on and even though everyone was almost asleep the conversation was flowing. Lana kept looking outside, the view was unbelievable with the sun rising and she thought of Jo for the first time. Five years had passed since everything went down.
“Jane could keep you company.” Lana heard Kennedy say.
“Sorry?” She asked.
“I said that Jane could keep you company if you decide to go to the concert.” He repeated. “It is going to be fun.”
“Yes, we always have fun.” Jane smiled “Plus, I really think your company is going to be perfect.”
“Yes, sure, why not?” Lana smiled back.

Kennedy left Jane and Garrett at home first. One the way to John’s house, Angela and Kennedy were talking while Lana and John mumbled together the song that was on the radio. Lana could not deny that John was really good looking, but what really caught her attention was how intelligent he was and how that did not affected on the stupidities that Lana had spoken that night.

“What’s your number?” John asked when Kennedy stopped at his house. Lana gave him her number. “Good to know you are coming to the concert.” He whispered to her before leaving the car.

The message alert woke Lana up, it was from an unknown number and it read: “How is the afternoon going for you? John” She looked to the clock and it was already 3 pm. “Kind of good, except from the headache. How is the afternoon going for you?” After the message was sent, Lana took her things and raced to the shower. The door of Kennedy’s room was still closed and since Angela slept over, Lana came to the conclusion it would be closed for a long time.

On her way back to her room, Lana stopped by the kitchen and grabbed a bowl of cereal with berries. She placed the bowl on top of her bedside table and turned the laptop on. She checked the messages on her phone. “Good. What you think about going out to eat something?” The words left her speechless. But without further thinking she just sent the reply: “Of course. Tell me a place and a time and I’ll be there.”
Instead of freaking out, Lana checked her e-mail and wrote a few things before the message containing the time and the place made her heart beat really fast. She sent messages to Jane telling her about the “date” with John. Even though they just met, Lana knew Jane was going to be the one she was going to count on.
After replying to e-mails to the magazine it was time to get ready, it was 6 and John was going to pick her up at 7:30. Lana got dressed and did her makeup. By the time she was ready she wrote a little bit more. And when her phone buzzed and she opened the message "I’m here." by John, she could swear he could hear her heart from the street.

She stepped outside and there was a Jeep parked, the window was down and John smiled. She approached the car and got in. He was still smiling.

“Hi.” She said, trying not to be awkward but failing hard.

“Hey.”

John started the car and turned the radio on. The restaurant was not that far from the building she was living. The place was cool, they were led to a table and looked at the menu.

“The concert tomorrow… Are you really coming?” John raised his eyes from the menu to hers.

“Yes, sure.” She guessed they were talking about the concert Kennedy told her to go. “I think Jane was going to get my ticket.”

“You know the band, right?”

“I actually did not paid attention when they were talking about it.” Lana said and got laughs in return.

“Taking Back Sunday.” He said.

“Oh, yes. I really like them.” Her face lit up, she loved Taking Back Sunday.

“They are great.”

The waiter came to take the orders and when she left again they talked a little bit about music. The subject was easy, because they shared the same taste. The waiter came back a few minutes later with the drinks and food.

“Wow, that was fast.” Lana laughed and took a sip from her ice tea.

“So… how does your job works?” John said.

“I work for a magazine; it’s been five years now. Since I was going to be traveling all the time they gave me a job where I can submit my article online and they publish it.” She said before biting her pizza.

“Traveling all the time?”

“Yes… I guess I can tell you half of the story.” She shrugged “Reality hit me and I decided I would not stay at one place for more than one year. I don’t say never because at some point you grow tired of some things but at least for a while I just want to do it.”

“That is interesting.” John bit his pizza and smiled. “So, five years, five places…”

“Yes. First year I decided to go to Mavagoago, Mozambique. Second year Amsterdam, Netherlands. Third one Makassar, Indonesia. Fourth Ulm, Germany. Fifth Tempe, United States.”

“Wow.”

“I’m planning maybe Guatemala or Panama next year. Still searching.”

“So, there is no way you’ll stay in one place for more than a year?” John took a sip from his drink.

“Nope…” She raised her eyes to stare at him but he was looking to the glass in front of him.

Lana changed the subject and the conversation just kept going. They had a lot in common, which was nice, but they disagreed in some things, which caused a little pointless discussion on it. Lana grabbed the dessert menu and studied for a few minutes before discovering her favorite dessert and biting her lower lip.

“Can I get the mint chocolate chip ice cream?” she said to the waiter.

“Sure.”

The waiter placed the bowl on the table and Lana started to eat.

“Are you going to just stare?” She laughed. “He brought two spoons.”

“I know, I just…” Before he could even say anything she grabbed the spoon filled with ice cream and placed it in his mouth.

“That was one of the best I’ve ever had.” Lana said as they walked side by side on the street.

“Same here, the unexpected is always a pleasure.” He half-smiled and she laughed.

They got to the car and John drove to her apartment.

“When Kennedy said he was going to rent the room in his apartment I thought he would do it for a dude.”

“Yes, when I rented the place I thought I was going to live with a girl.”

“I’m so glad it wasn’t a dude.” He said as he stopped in front of the building. “So, see you tomorrow at the concert?”

“Absolutely.” She smiled and opened the door. “Good night, John.”

“Good night, Lana.

She opened the apartment door and was surprised to see Kennedy alone on the couch. When the door was locked she walked to her room.

“Hi, Kennedy.” she said as she passed by.

“Hey.” He stood up “How was the night?”

“Great. Yours?” She came back and sat by his side on the couch.

“It was nice.” He smiled. “I heard you were with John.”

“Wow… News got here quick.” Lana laughed

“Yes. Everyone probably knows by now, so I hope you already bought your wedding dress.” Kennedy mumbled the wedding march.

“Oh my God!” She smiled

“I think this year is going to be awesome, because this is only the second day and we are talking like we’ve known each other for years.”

“I know, right? And I’m shy as hell.”

Lana’s phone buzzed and it was John, she said goodnight to Kennedy and went to the bedroom. “I had fun with you tonight, I hope we do this again soon.” Her smile grew bigger until it almost hit her ears. “I had fun too, John. Tomorrow is going to be awesome.” She replied. Lana got up and brushed her teeth, when she came back there was another message “Have a great night, Lan.” And so she replied smiling: “Have and amazing night. And be careful not to dream about me.” And it buzzed again. “I’m thinking I might be reckless tonight then, darling.”
♠ ♠ ♠
There you go guys, new chapter. Let me know what you're thinking.