Status: GeneCo, cleaning up the streets since 2030!

Drawn by the Glow

Evil Goes By Many Faces

It was a corner shop on Walsgrove St. where she found some food. It was not too far from the neighborhood since she figured she should stay close to the safezone. GeneCo had been shipping food to the house as always, but for some reason the flow of food had stopped. Maybe they thought Shilo was dead because it has been almost a year now she hasn't shown her face.

Over the door of the corner shop was a beautiful sign in ivory white made of smooth marble. It read Melawand's Treasures in dark brown wood. Under that serving as a subtitle read A Melawand And Largo Company. The name startled her with memories, but she still pulled her jacket around her tighter before moving into the store. The clerk behind the counter was an aging lady that had the looks of a four star harlot and smelled like a brothel. Her hair was a thousand slimy eels of blue fighting for a hat sat on top of her head. Face paint stuck out inches thick with forgotten eyebrows. Regardless of her harsh appearance, she did all her business with a smile.

Shilo walked around the store very hesitantly. It felt odd to be out of that house. It had been growing like a shell on a snail's back. She made sure to leave at night so it would be more difficult to recognize her face. To put in extra efforts a scarf was placed around her neck which hid half of her face. While looking around, her eyes accidently locked with the store clerk before quickly looking away.

"What's your name, Love?" The store clerk spoke in a raspy voice. She had seemed to be staring at her the whole time.

In that moment, Shilo almost turned around and ran back to her shell, her home. Instantly, her heart had each beat tangled in anxiety. Everyone in the store glanced at her with eager eyes then began to whisper to one another. She heard some mutter "Fresh meat" while others whistled with drooping smiles.

"Well,?" Spoke the clerk growing impatient.

"M-my name is-"

"Ah, Clara!" A new character burst into the shop using an Italian accent a bit too high pitched. "Please, what have I told you? Don't go around scaring business." He wore a pea coat accessorized with a shiny, grey cane. It also seemed as if he wore a mask. Shilo recognized him at once, as his mask was his mark.

"Oh, shut it, Pavi. We need new recruits. Randa and Gretchen were repoed last week. And you know Brit's number is comin' up."

"Why, but she seems like such a sweet young girl." He wrapped his arm around Shilo's tense shoulders then smiled big down at her through his mask. "For your trouble, of course, take whatever you need from the shop. On me. Clara can be, um, uh, a bit aggressive."

"Uh, t-thank you. Thank you so much." She looked around the store hastily and spotted some bread next to a hunk of cheese. Careful not to get tripped up with nerves, she walked over and grabbed them.

"Oh, will that be all? Not to be too terribly impolite, but you seem starved. Go ahead. Grab some carrots and cookies. Clara, fill her a basket will you? I must um, return to business." His attention flipped back to Shilo. "Here is my card if you need anything, okay?"

He handed her the card then gave her hand a tight squeeze. Pavi stared at her eyes and made a questionable expression, which was barely noticable. He shook his head then he was off whistling merrily out of the store.

"Right twist, he is. Don't be fooled, girl. Calling that number means you are forever in debt to his cheeky ass." Clara displayed a mean, disgusted face. "God damned face stealer."

"He seemed nicer, I guess." Shilo muttered.

"No, see. It's power he has that makes him seem that way. Cunning, all too cunning as well. He is the new owner of GeneCo. He won it in a drunk bet from his brother. That whole family is headed on a slate to Hell, I tell ya."

"But I thought Amber was the new owner?" Shilo asked.

"Pssh! That shit of a whore?! Most posh piece of trash I've ever seen. One gander at her and you almost feel embarrassed for her. No, she lost it within three or four months of getting ownership. Didn't know how to handle her addictions, it seemed." She eyed Shilo up and down suspiciously. "Where have you been, Love? Everybody knows that."

"I don't really watch the television or read the papers." Shilo let out a nervous laugh casting her eyes around.

"You aren't a scalpel slut, are ya?" Clara said a little less of a question and more like a statement. "You seem very out of place of yourself."

"A what?!" She was taken aback by her bold accusation.

"A zydrate zombie, ya know. An addict."

"N-no. I've never had Zydrate in my life." Shilo was now blushing and itching to get out of there.

"Well, ya never know with these kids anymore." She began packing up a basket of food for Shilo. "The shock factor of the youth has been worn out."

"If you ever need food, Darlin', come back here. And burn that card. He's just tryin' to fatten you up before trying to ship you out on the streets. Call that card you'll have no choice but to be turnin' tricks just like the rest of us." A few men whistled and laughed around them.

She handed the plastic basket to Shilo gently finally seeing her fragility. Quietly, a thank you left her lips before she left out the store.

. . . . . .

Blueberry and chocolate truffle cheesecakes, caramelized dehydrated plantains, and carrots sprinkled in mango powder. These foods were the most bizarre that she has ever heard of, but all very delicious. She was only used to small portions of raw vegatables and little sweets.

Maybe she'd go visit the corner shop again sometimes soon. Now that GeneCo didn't send food she'd have to. Should she chance running back into Pavi again? What if Amber Sweet still stalks the alleyways wanting Zydrate? It would be terrible seeing her. Shilo let out a small gasp.

"Graverobber." He was the only one to ever help her out. He had rescued her in last years renaissance and told her of Blind Mag's fate. She wondered if they could be friends or if he'd even be interested. "Where are you now?" Shilo wondered aloud. Maybe he was still lurking the streets as well. Still getting badgered by Ms.Sweet for what they call the glow.

There was a knock on the door again that caused her to jump and interrupted her thoughts. The knocking continued in a lazy beat. She felt that she had been courageous enough today and ignored the sound. Instead of answering the door, she moved towards the bed with dragging feet. With a soft blow she blew out the candles on her bedside table. This left her in the dull darkness only accompanied by the shine of the moon which peaked through her curtains. The white blankets of her bed wrapped around her warmly. She turned away from the moon then fell asleep.