Status: GeneCo, cleaning up the streets since 2030!

Drawn by the Glow

Eye Behind a Keyhole

Shilo's feet paced the floor as she wondered upon an idea. Now that she had left the nest once she longed for more fresh air. The renaissance was in two days and no matter how hard she tried she could not sit still waiting.

She sat criss cross on her bed brushing her wig. Her own hair had grown near six inches over the year, but the habit of always wearing a wig stayed. The task was growing dull causing Shilo to throw her hair brush across the room nearly hitting the music box. She sighed before placing the wig onto her head.

After taking a deep breath she got up and got dressed for tonight's events. Her mind had been made on going out. No matter the consequences it was terribly important she live after so much death.

"I guess it would be safe." She said trying to convince herself. "Just another night." Looking outside she saw the dark night sky cloudy with smog.

A deep velvet purple skirt found it's way onto her hips, then a hoodie drapped across her shoulders shortly after. Her hands wrapped a thick, black scarf around her mouth.

Shilo smiled while running down the stairs at the thoughts of what tonight could hold. Her hand grasped the cold metal of the door handle then pulled hard to open it. She was looking down when the door flung open, but her eyes trailed up from a pair of boots to a pair of eyes. His hand was still held up in a fist as if he were about to knock. On his face displayed the most cunning of all smirks that complemented his dark black opals imperfectly.

"Y-you? Are the knocker?" Shilo shivered from a breeze that threatened to enter through her scarf.

"She lives! She breathes!" he waved his hands around with a bottle in one. His feet began to tap a beat and then he walts in circles. "She lives, she lives! She breathes, she breathes!"

Shilo started to retreat back into the house, frightened. The man saw her shrink which caused him to frowned. He grabbed her by the hand, dropping his bottle to do so, cackling greatly then started to dance with her. He guided her with his fingertips barely touching her side.

"B-but why? Why do you knock? It's been months since-"

"The Opera! Yes, yes! I thought you of as dead! But she lives,she breathes!" He laughed louder and louder and Shilo swore he'd wake the whole street.

"No, stop dancing!" She pulled away from him and stared at the ground distraught.

"Dear, what's the problem? This is an occasion worth celebrating!" His boots stumbled in the dirt of her front yard.

"Are you drunk?" She asked disgusted. Her nose picked up an unpleasant scent of McCormick. He waved his hand still smiling.

"Just enough to keep my bones warm, my pet." He began singing and dancing with himself.

"Did you give me that box? Did you give me the music box?" Her eyes watched his lazy legs move from here to there.

"I felt you'd enjoy it. We all like a ghost's visit from our past. " His eyes looked back towards hers tearing through the protective layers she tried so hard to keep up.

Again, she looked back down at the ground remembering the tune Blind Mag sang. As if reading her mind, he began to hum Mag's song.

"So, where were you going?" His eyes were closed as he swayed hugging himself. "You seemed to have determination all over your face. Tell me, where did you mean to go?"

"I-I. I don't know for sure." Her hands fumbled from feeling so exposed. Her nerves inflamed.

"Come with me. The night is young as are you. You two should enjoy each other." He smiled then offered her his hand.

"Graverobber . . ." She whispered. Her eyes finally met his for more than a second.

"That's my job, not my name. " He peered back as he guided her away.

"Then what is your name?" She blushed feeling embarrassed since she had never wondered his name.

"Well, I call myself Clarence."

The Graverobber held her hand while observing her for a moment too long. He jumped up breaking their silence and tugged her down the street.

"Where are we going?" Shilo started to run to keep up.

"Two seconds ago you were headed no where, so not knowing is okay. Half the fun, they say. " He turned quickly right and hurried down the street.