Status: DISCONTINUED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Master of Sardonic Wit

18.

November 26 1997

“So who's going to be there and stuff?”

“Cousins, aunts, uncles, mom, dad and us, and some other people of the family” Mark smiled at his brother who looked rather pale at the thought of so many people together in one room.

“Can't we turn this car around and just celebrate Thanksgiving in a McDonalds or something?”

“I thought you preferred Burger King...” Mark frowned.

“I do,” James nodded, “Burger King makes a superior meal!”

“Whatever you say James, whatever you say,” Mark sighed.

James grinned and then looked back out the window, it was cold outside, several lawns still had the snow from the night before laying on the grass, several untouched by children's hands and snow angels, several others already ruined by the excitement of said children.

“Okay, we're here, just, try to act nice?”

“I'm always nice honey, you should know that,” James batted his eyelashes at Mark who bit his lip and shook his head at his brother before getting out of the car.

“James! Where have you been?” one of the younger cousins opened his door before he could and poked his head into the warm car, letting the cold air inside, “we ate already.”

“What?” Mark asked, “mom said clearly that we would be on time for dinner if we arrived now!”

The youngest cousin giggled and quickly ran inside, Mark and James looked at each other and James started to smirk.

“Burger King?”

“Forget it,” Mark glared before stalking towards the house.

“Fuck,” James pouted.

“James darling! You made it!” his mother pinched his cheeks as James slapped her hand away and pouted.

“Mark don't touch that pie!” his mother yelled at Mark who had already gotten out the pie out of the fridge and was about to poke it, “oh look what your father did already,” she sighed before taking the box from Mark and putting it back in the fridge. James smirked before he got distracted by the cat walking past Mark's feet.

“Oh look! It's Frank! Frrraannkkk!” James picked up the cat and held it just a bit above his own head. The grey cat looked at James with it's small eyes before he opened his mouth and tried to show the cat that he was the boss. Frank however, didn't pay attention and quickly looked away from James before jumping out of his arms.

“You lose,” Mark smirked, “oh mom, I got the best booze ever, it's a sort of apple mix, we're pushing it all over the north east this year!”

“But you get a first taste because you're a trend setter!” James looked excited, giving his mother the bottle he had been holding all the time but dropped it on the table the moment he could, “spin mommy! Spin mommy!”

James held his mothers hand as he spun her around the kitchen, jumping up and down while he did so.

“The kid has moves doesn't he?” Mark chuckled, looking at his older niece Claudia, “it's all in the hips.”

“Wow, you got here what? 5 minutes ago?” Claudia looked at him weird before walking towards the coffee machine and starting it after putting back the filter filled with fresh coffee powder.

"So catch me up! How's Chicago?" James leaned against the counter next to his Claudia and smiled at her.

"Uhm, did you..check your messages? On your machine I mean?" Claudia asked, jumping up and sitting down on the counter.

"No, I've been on the road with my idiot brother all the time, didn't even stop at the 5 Burger King's we passed,” James pouted.

"Well when you finally do check them...I was kind of...fragile."

Their conversation was interrupted by Mark dropping one of the eggs he had just got out of the fridge as he was preparing something on the other end of the kitchen.

“Now who needs the reading glasses here?” James smirked.

“Shut up you,” Mark smirked before cleaning up behind himself.

“Reading glasses?” Claudia frowned.

“I'll tell you later,” James bit his lip, trying to bite back laughter, “so when is Joanne coming over?”

“She should be here soon actually,” Celia sighed, looking around the kitchen in search for something.

“Oh that'll be so much fun,” Mark rolled his eyes.

Before they left, Mark had updated James on the family history, of course, James hadn't been interested but the fact that it seemed that half of his family tended to be rather annoying around Thanksgiving made James remember the names at the least so he could yell them whenever they gave him a headache.

“Joanne is the weird aunt right?”

“She's the one with the two kids yeah,” Mark rolled her eyes, “be careful, the oldest is full of herself and likes pretending she's Britney Spears.”

“Oh fuck.”

“James honey don't curse,” Celia pointed at her son and poked him in his chest before walking back into the living room.

“Sorry ma!”

“This is going to be a long day,” Mark sighed, rubbing his temple.

The rest of the day was rather calm, James had slinked of to the couch and laid down there, resting his eyes before anybody could come and claim the couch. It had been a long ride and he hadn't slept well the night before for unknown reasons, probably because Chantal was once again in Los Angeles with her family instead of laying next to him like she usually was during the week.

Aunts, uncles, cousins, grandmothers and grandfathers, everyone managed to get there in time and end up sitting all around the kitchen table, on the kitchen table in several cases or just around the couch, letting James sleep even though Mark had been throwing pieces of a napkin at him for the past half hour, wondering when his brother would finally react to it.

“Hey you, yeah you! Wake up!” Joanne poked James who groaned and swung his arm over his eyes to block out the light that shining in his eyes.

“Why?” James muttered, turning around on the couch and curled himself up as small as possible.

“Because you're being a boring little fuck, now get up.”

“I'm tired, fuck off,” James kept his eyes closed, refusing to open them even though Mark was still throwing balls of napkin at him in an attempt for him to now open his eyes rather than to wake him up.

“James darling, that couch is really bad for your back, are you sure you don't want to go and lay down on our bed or something?” Celia asked, coming in the living room with an apron around her and carrying several bowls full of vegetables and other things to go with the turkey.

“I'm up now anyway so forget it,” James sat up, stretching and sighing in relief when the joints from sleeping on the couch started to slowly disappear.

“Aaw, did we wake you up?” Mark smirked a bit at his brother as he leaned back in the armchair he was in.

“No, Santa did before I opened my eyes, he told me you're a prick and you're not getting any presents this year.”

“James be nice!” Joanne waved her finger at him before poking him in the chest, James rolled his eyes before just sitting back on the couch and looking at his brother.

“I still win at life, you don't,” James smirked.

“Oh screw you.”