Status: DISCONTINUED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Master of Sardonic Wit

20.

January 8 1998

“Hey Steve, wait up!” Vanessa jogged up to her friend, her books clenched between her chest and arms, a thin layer of sweat was visible on her forehead and even though it was cold outside, Vanessa was only wearing a long sleeved shirt and a pair of pants that reached her knees, her look was finished with a pair of old ragged All Stars, the ones she wore through every weather.

“Oh hey Vanessa,” Steve said tired, he had a rough night last night as James had challenged him to see how many cups of coffee he could drink in one day. Of course Steve didn't want to be defeated by him so he drank the double of what he usually drank in a day. Which ended in a restless night of wriggling and trying to fall asleep as the caffeine ran through his veins.

“You okay? You're looking a bit tired there,” Vanessa frowned at him, looking at him worried and feeling his forehead.

“Nothing I can't handle,” Steve smiled.

“That's good,” Vanessa smiled, “I talked to the mister by the way, about that bass part, and he said I should give it a shot while I still can since he knows I've been wanting to pick it up again so, I'm in alright? Just thought I'd let you know.”

“Oh right, thanks,” Steve sighed in relief and then ran a hand through his messy black hair, “I'll be sure to tell James, we'll call you when we get together alright since, it's sort of, random.”

“How is he by the way? He seemed sort of stressed that night.”

“He's fine, trust me,” Steve chuckled, “although he's probably annoying Chantal right now because he's hyped on coffee, sort of his own fault though.”

“Okay...”

“He challenged me to drink more coffee than him, so we had some sort of, coffee overdose yesterday, which is why I look like shit and he's an energizer bunny.”

“He's such a special person isn't he?” Vanessa giggled, sitting down under the familiar tree with Steve who threw his head back and closed his eyes.

“Please don't tell him that or he won't stop saying it.”

“I'll try to keep that in mind.”

Steve nodded tiredly and then muttered something about going to find a good spot under the tree to sleep before waving goodbye to Vanessa and walking to the outside. A groan reached Vanessa's ears when she saw him walk into the bright sun, even though it was middle of winter.

In the end, Steve did find a good spot under the tree to catch up on some sleep. He leaned against the tree behind him, pulling his jacket closer to his body and hoped that he wouldn't end up being a Popsicle when he woke up. Which was probably going to happen anyway whether he liked it or not. The sun might've been shining, it was still freezing cold outside.

“Hey Steve!"

“Shut up Jimmy, I'm trying to sleep here,” Steve muttered, opening one eye and looking at James in front of him before closing it again and wrapping his arms closer around his body in a way to keep the warmth closer to him.

“Well, alright then, but Chantal told me to come and get you, so you better come," James nodded to himself, "otherwise you'll start complaining to me if you turn out to be as blue as ice when you get home later.”

“Yeah whatever,” Steve muttered.

“Hey Chantal! Steve doesn't want to wake up!” James walked away again, probably towards his girlfriend, which wasn't hard to guess even if you were sleeping. Steve sighed and shook his head slightly, keeping his eyes shut.

“I thought I told you not to say anything stupid!” Chantal's voice said, coming towards him and shaking him slightly out of his dream, “hey Steve, wake up, seriously, you'd better come home if you want some sleep, you're freezing cold.”

“Mm, just keep Jimmy away from me and I'm good,” Steve muttered, finally standing up from his spot under the tree and smiling at Chantal. Her hair was in a mess (not that he really cared, Chantal was known for her bed hair so early in the morning) and she wasn't wearing a lot of clothes, which surprised him since the woman was so easily cold.

“Trust me, I'll send him on a few errands once we get home and you can sleep.”

“You're the best Chantal, you know that?” Steve smirked as he walked with the woman towards James who was deep in a conversation with one of the first years.

“Somebody got to keep James in line from time to time,” Chantal smiled before pulling James along with them by his belt.

“Yeah, I admire the fact that you actually feel up to it,” Steve smirked, looking at James who was, rather calm for the fact he had so many coffee the day before. James' arm was wrapped around Chantal's waist and her head was on his shoulder as the three of them walked towards the apartment. Where James was the gentleman and held out the door open for Chantal and Steve, claiming that his friend would make a pretty woman if he tried.

“I mean it Steve, just put on a skirt.”

“Maybe after I had a good nap or something,” Steve muttered, not really in the mood to get in a conversation about him in drag right now.

“Yeah, you look like shit mate.”

“And who's fault is that?” Steve glared at Jimmy who held his hands up in defense.

“Not mine, I didn't force you to take on the bet.”

“You're right,” Steve muttered, “I'm just so stupid to go along with it.”

“Just go to bed Steve, you look like you really need some sleep. And warmth.”

“I think I'll just go and do that now, g'night you guys.”

January 25 1998

“I thought it was 1.2.3, not 1.2.2.3!” Steve rolled his eyes at James who had once again, gotten the whole song messed up.

“How can you mess up a song you wrote yourself?”

“It's my special talent, goes with my ninja skills,” James smirked, “now let's start again.”

“You're a shitty ninja James.”

“That hurt Kitty cat,” James held a hand to his chest and looked hurtful.

“Oh come on guys, let's just, keep on practicing alright?” Vanessa tried to bring the band to calm down again and begin to play again instead of teasing each other.

“In a hurry are we?”

“Yes actually we are, I have some things to take care of at home.”

“Well let's not waste any more time then shall we?” James looked at Vanessa with a look that made the girl look down to the floor. James frowned and then just picked the microphone back up and nodded to Steve to start the song.

The song sounded weird to James, especially with the bass on the background but even he had to admit that it sounded slightly better. He cursed inwards but tried to keep his focus on the song he was singing. He had messed up the whole song several times already that night, probably because Chantal and him had gotten in some sort of small argument earlier and he had just stormed of.

“Screw this guys, I need to go do something that's more important than this,” James sighed, putting the microphone in the stand and walking out of the room.

“What's he going to do?” Kitty frowned, looking at the open door.

“Probably making up with Chantal, they had some small argument earlier, or at least, that's what Kayleigh said,” Steve sighed, “let's just call it a day shall we?”

The three friends left the studio after putting everything away, Steve locking the door behind him. They quickly passed James' and Chantal's bedroom, hearing some faint voices behind the door.

After letting Kitty and Vanessa out, Steve made his way down to the kitchen where Kayleigh was sitting with a cup of coffee in front of her.

“Just made a fresh pot,” she smiled, looking rather tired. Steve smiled at her and kissed the crown of her head before taking a cup of coffee himself.

“Long day?”

“Pretty much,” Kayleigh nodded, taking a sip from her cup, “just work annoying me mainly, I might look for a new job,” she continued, “how's James?”

“He was distracted until he ran out of the room to go and talk to Chantal.”

“You think they'll be okay?”

“If they're not, I'll be at a loss,” Steve shrugged, “but I didn't hear any shouting coming from their room so I'm guessing it's just, talking that they're doing right now.”

“That's..good right?”

“I think so yeah,” Steve reached out for Kayleigh's hands and shot her an assuring smile, which she returned.

“Your hands are cold,” Kayleigh jumped up slightly at the cold touch of his hands and then looked at him with a playful glare.

“Then make sure Jimmy puts some heating in that recording studio,” Steve joked.

“I thought there was,” Kayleigh frowned, taking a sip from her coffee.

“There is, it's just, normally we get warmed up while playing but we barely played today so yeah,” the man shrugged.

Kayleigh sighed and shook her head amused before standing up and putting her empty cup in the sink, Steve's eyes following her with every move she made. Kayleigh turned around, feeling his eyes burn on her back, a smile visible on her lips before she walked over and placed herself on his lap, kissing his lips softly.