Status: DISCONTINUED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Master of Sardonic Wit

21.

January 30 1998

"I can't believe they're still arguing," Kayleigh sighed, "and here I thought that they talked it out."

"Well you know how stubborn both of them are, they'll come around, trust me."

Steve smiled and brushed some of Kayleigh's soft brown hair away from her forehead before giving it a soft kiss. They were on the big double bed in their room, Kayleigh was on her back while Steve was laying on his side, propped up on one elbow while staring at her.

"They shouldn't be fighting in the first place, it's such a silly reason."

"Stop worrying about it," Steve chuckled, pulling Kayleigh up by her chin and kissing her lips briefly, trying to distract her from her thoughts.

"I can't, I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Steve smiled, pulling back from yet another kiss, "It's who you are. But at least give me a good kiss to make it up."

Giggling, Kayleigh wrapped her arms around Steve's neck and pecked him on the lips before nuzzling her face in his neck. Her warm breath tickling him slightly as she shifted on the bed so that they were both comfortable.

"I'm glad we never argue," Kayleigh sighed, throwing her one arm over Steve's waist and starting to mess with a loose thread of his shirt.

"That's not entirely true. We argue," Steve started, nodding slowly, "just not that long."

The hand that rested on the small of her back started moving up and down her back, trying to warm her as her hands felt cold to him for the brief seconds that she touched his skin. His lips kissing the crown of her head.

"It's been 5 days already, let's go and lock them up in the same room until they have make up sex."

"And have James break something to get out anyway? No thanks."

"Right, that'd be stupid."

"And dangerous to boot, you know how easily the guy gets hurt," Steve nodded, "I don't know about you but James is one strong motherfucker to push in a room if he doesn't want to be in it. He'd beat you in 5 seconds flat."

"Good to know you have such strong confidence in me," Kayleigh muttered.

"Always darling," Steve chuckled before kissing his girlfriend again, "I do hope they make up soon because this is influencing the band."

"I'm sure James knows that," Kayleigh nodded, "I'll talk to Chantal tomorrow to see what's up with them."

“Do that, I'll just try to get James focused on the band for an hour or two,” Steve sighed before closing his eyes and drifting to sleep while Kayleigh rested her head on his chest and fell asleep herself.

January 31 1998

“Hey Chantal! Wait up!” Kayleigh sprinted down the last remaining stairs and tried to collect her breath once she reached her friend. Chantal halted in her steps and turned around, frowning at Kayleigh and wondering why she had just done all those stairs.

“Yeah, don't ask,” Kayleigh managed to say after she managed to catch her breath, “you going grocery shopping?”

“Yeah, wanna come? I could use some hands.”

“Sure.”

Chantal smiled and the two girls quickly started making their way towards the nearest supermarket, arms locked and receiving some weird glances from people passing by. They either ignored them or giggled loudly at the looks but didn't let them destroy their day.

“So what's up with you and James?”

“Is that really a good subject to talk about at the food court of a supermarket?”

“Where else?” Kayleigh asked, looking innocent.

“Not here?”

“Oh come on Chantal, somethings bothering the both of you and it's causing a rif,” Kayleigh looked at Chantal with a raised eyebrow, “so I'm being curious and I'll ask what it's all about.”

“It's just some disagreement Kays, it's nothing.”

“It's been 6 days, it's something

“We'll just, figure it out alright?” Chantal sighed, “we just need some time.”

“Alright,” Kayleigh shrugged, “but if you need a girl to talk to, I'm here you know.”

“Yeah I know,” Chantal nodded, reaching out for a bag from the freezer.

“Ew, sprouts,” Kayleigh pulled her nose up at the pack of sprouts that Chantal just put down in the court, “I don't see why anyone would buy those things really.”

“Oh don' t be such a baby.”

“I'm not, I just don't like those green little shits.”

“Then go and get something you do like, you and James barely eat any vegetables honestly,” Chantal rolled her eyes and pushed the cart further down the aisle.

“That's only because we don't like the look of them,” Kayleigh nodded firmly, placing a pack of freshly rasped carrots in the cart.

“They're healthy!”

“They look weird

“Oh god,” Chantal groaned and threw her head back in annoyance.

“Don't forget the potatoes! Jimmy loves them. Which proves he does eat stuff that comes out of the ground.”

“That's about the only thing too,” Chantal sighs, “that man is one picky bastard.”

“You love him anyway,” Kayleigh started in a sing song before she continued, “Chantal and Jimmy, sitting in a tree-”

“Oh shut up!” Chantal hit Kayleigh on the arm several times, making the girl laugh and dart down the aisle giggling. The red haired woman sighed and shook her head at her friend, wondering with what sort of food or candy she would return.

Thankfully, the two girls managed to leave the supermarket with everything they needed (and some extra things) including some bruises forming on Kayleigh's upper arm because of the several hits the girl took whenever she started to sing the song again. Walking up the stairs with at least 5 full bags proved itself harder than it looked and Kayleigh was already regretting not taking the elevator with Chantal. But the girl had been a good sport and ignored Chantal's invitation and took the stairs anyway.

By the time she reached the third floor, Kayleigh gave up with a deep sigh and climbed in the empty elevator anyway.

“Oh hey Mark, what're you doing here?” Mark took her bags silently and brought them into the apartment, Kayleigh frowned and then walked up to the door where she was blocked entrance by Steve.

“Steve what-”

“Let's just go get coffee okay?”

“Yeah sure,” Kayleigh frowned, “something the matter?”

“No just feeling like a cup of coffee with my gorgeous girlfriend,” Steve said, ushering her back in the elevator.

“Wait, what's going on?” Kayleigh looked at Steve, her one hand on his chest holding him back slightly from her as she looked at him with a weary eye.

“I told you, nothing.”

“And I don't believe you,” Kayleigh crossed her arms in front of her chest and looked at Steve who bit his lip and looked down at his shoes.

“Just giving Chantal and James some time alone...”

“Oh, alright,” Kayleigh nodded, “coffee you said?”

“Glad you're seeing it my way dearest,” Steve nodded.
______________________________________________

“We need to talk about this Chantal,” James sighed.

“I know,” Chantal admitted, looking down to her own shoes and not really wanting to look at James' face, his lost-puppy look alone was enough to make anyone feel bad even if they did nothing wrong.

“I mean, this is stupid, only for such a trivial matter.”

“Well we've been fighting over it for 6 days now, it's not that trivial anymore is it?”

“Not at all,” James sighed, walking towards Chantal and pulling her in a hug, resting his chin on the top of her head, “I'm sorry baby.”

Chantal nodded and relaxed in the hug.

“So...make up?”

“Yeah, definitely.”

James kissed the top of her head before lifting her up and twirling her around. Chantal's laughter filling the room before James almost fell over from spinning too much. Chantal placed both of her hands on the sides of his face and pulled him in a deep kiss. Her legs wrapped around his thin waist with his hands holding her up.

“Oh and I brought some sprouts and carrots,” Chantal smirked as she broke the kiss.

“Ew...sprouts.”