Status: DISCONTINUED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Master of Sardonic Wit

24.

March 14 1998

James rubbed his arm, wincing at the touch connecting with his sore flesh. Chantal hadn't been happy when she found him sleeping on the couch that morning. He claimed that he hadn't planned it but she wouldn't hear it. Sighing, James walked in the kitchen and grabbed one of the cups before filling it with coffee, Chantal ignoring him from her place at the table. Steve and Kayleigh shared an uncomfortable glance with each other, wondering why the two lovers weren't talking to each other.

“Good morning,” Steve nodded at James who sat down next to him with a cup of coffee, looking rather sour. James grumbled something back in reply but Steve didn't do an effort on trying to figure out what the man had said exactly.

“Okay, I can't handle this, what's up between you two?” Kayleigh raised her hands in front of her chest and looked back and forth between Chantal and James.

“He slept on the couch.”

“Like it's the end of the world honestly,” James muttered, taking a long sip from his coffee and slightly wincing at the taste of it.

“I told you not to fall asleep on the couch James,” Chantal pointed out, glaring slightly at him but she still couldn't hide the fondness shining in her eyes.

“It just happened Chantal, I sat down with my book and fell asleep, it's not like I had planned it,” James reached out for Chantal's hand and squeezed it lovingly. Chantal looked away and pursed her lips together.

Kayleigh and Steve looked at each other before standing up, telling the couple that they would give them some time to talk it out in private. Even the sentence 'don't have sex on the kitchen table' escaped Steve's mouth before he hurried out of the room with Kayleigh glaring at him. Chantal giggled slightly and shook her head at Steve before fixing her eyes on James who was looking rather tired at her.

“You're sore aren't you?” she asked, receiving a nod as an answer, “that's your own fault, you shouldn't have fallen asleep on the couch then.”

“Next time, you can join me, maybe then I won't be sore,” James smirked slightly, trying to lighten the mood a little.

“Maybe,” Chantal nodded, standing up and walking over to him before sitting down on his lap and kissing his lips.

James clasped his hands together on the small of her back as he pulled her closer to his own body, deepening the kiss.

“Maybe we shouldn't have this make-out session in the kitchen,” James broke the kiss, smiling a bit at Chantal who nodded.

“But then we wouldn't have Steve freaking out on us!” Chantal proclaimed, looking a bit shocked. James chuckled a bit and kissed Chantal's lips again. Looking at him, Chantal smirked a bit as she placed her arms on his shoulders and clasped them on the back of his neck.

“So, either we stay here, or we go to our room and continue there...”

“Mm, I don't know, what do you think we should do?” James inquired.

“Stay here and freak Steve out but that would be mean,” Chantal nodded.

“Very.”

Chantal looked at James and smirked a bit.

After half an hour, Steve and Kayleigh managed to find their way back into the kitchen, looking wary at the couple sitting at the table. James had managed to get hands on the newspaper and was reading it with his 3d cup of coffee for that morning while Chantal was busy writing some things down.

Steve looked at them with a frown and then took his own cup of coffee, sipping it, staring attentively at James and Chantal who seemed like they were still angry at each other. Kayleigh nudged him in the side, nodding at the two people smiling and their feet touching under the table.

Opening and closing her mouth a few times, Kayleigh tried to think what to say to break the silence in the room. The only sound heard was the pen scribbling on the paper and James turning a page of the newspaper every now and then.

“Hey, almost done with the newspaper?”

“Almost, why?”

“I want to fill in the crossword.”

James chuckled and got out the crossword from the newspaper, giving it to Chantal who started to fill it in. They showed no indication that they were even aware that their two friends were currently in the room with them, looking worried at the couple. Steve and Kayleigh shared a glance between each other before sighing and shaking their heads.

“There’s a photography expo in the museum, it opened two days ago, maybe we could go?” Kayleigh suggested, trying to get a conversation going between the four of them.

“Not really no,” James muttered, frowning at an article he was reading.

“Oh come on,” Kayleigh sighed, “I thought you liked photography.”

“I do, just not the ones in galleries.”

Kayleigh sighed and shook her head at James before hitting him on the back of it. James yelped it out and rubbed the sore spot, glaring at Kayleigh. Chantal bit back a grin and closed her eyes, trying not to laugh at her lover’s pain.

“I’m going for a walk,” James sighed, standing up and leaving the kitchen in a hurry. Kayleigh looked weird at him and then sat down on the chair he had occupied just seconds ago.

“Okay, so, what’s up between you two?”

“Nothing,” Chantal didn’t look up from the crossword and filled something in in a fancy handwriting.

“You’ve been ignoring each other,” Kayleigh pointed out.

“We talked it out Kayleigh,” Chantal smiled, “we were just busy with reading the paper and filling out the crossword, see?”

She pointed at the half-filled out crossword on the table and smiled at Kayleigh. Kayleigh sighed in reply and placed a hand over Chantal’s, squeezing it softly. Chantal shot her a weird look and then stared at Steve.

“Your girlfriend is weird.”

“Well, you and James are too, you’re not talking to each other.”

“Yes we are,” Chantal laughed, “what makes you think that?”

“You weren’t talking when we came in…” Steve admitted, looking a bit unsure whether he should even start this conversation with Chantal, who looked absolutely sure that there was nothing wrong between her and James.

“We were busy Steve, and-” Chantal began before she was cut off by Steve.

“Yeah, I know,” Steve nodded, “so, do you want to go and see the photography?”

“Sure.”

March 15 1998

James and Chantal made their way through the halls of the gallery. James was pouting, Chantal was reading one of the folders she had taken in the entrance hall. Their arms were locked together in an embrace. Chantal rested her head on James’ shoulder, making the man smile and shift so he could pull his girlfriend even closer to him.

Behind him, were Kayleigh and Steve smiling at the couple before turning their attention back to the photographs hanging out and telling each other trivia they found interesting about the artwork.

There were guards everywhere, making James a bit uncomfortable for a reason beyond his own. Chantal squeezed his hand, feeling his own shake a bit. She frowned up at him and gave his cheek a soft peck, her rosy lipstick lingering on his skin, making her giggle. James grimaced and wiped it away with his sleeve, looking at Chantal with a disapproving glance but ended up grinning anyway, giving in and kissing her on the lips.

“Hey you two, stop making out and pay attention to the photographs.”

“Mine are prettier.”

“You’re not in a gallery James, stop complaining and pay attention.”

James grumbled under his breath and took the folder from Steve’s hands who sighed and grabbed it back, glaring.

“Get your own folder.”

"Spoilsport."