Status: DISCONTINUED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Master of Sardonic Wit

6.

May 2 1994

When James arrived on the campus of art school, he was rather surprised to see how many people around the place knew the man he joined and who was showing him around. Several people around his age came up to Steve, most of the time just to say 'hi' and ask him how he was doing, even some girls came up to him giggling and whispering in his ear, something that he tried to avoid as much as possible by telling them he was busy and he would get back to them later when he had more time.

It wasn't a big secret that Steve was one of the better guitarists walking around on the campus, as James noticed that a lot of people walked up to him with questions about either random music, to talk about bands or just to ask help with their own guitar. James smiled to himself, happy to know that he had found someone that was kind enough to help him around and actually knew his stuff.

“You can learn cartooning and animation here?” James asked in wonderment as he looked at the class of multiple people sitting at special designed tables for drawing. Steve nodded and closed the door again.

“This is art school Jimmy, don't forget that, why so surprised?”

“I just, never thought you could go to school and draw all day,” James admitted shyly, not really wanting to admit to anyone that drawing was also one of the things he kept doing whenever he locked himself up in his cave.

“You draw?”

“...Sometimes,” James muttered, looking down to his feet and avoiding the curious glances Steve shot him.

“Well maybe you should show me what you can do then,” Steve said, smiling before opening one of the lockers and getting out the necessary books, “I got a class now but you 're free to explore the campus some more, perhaps you should consider entering, you never know right?”

“Right, I'll think about it, 4 pm at the Starbucks right?”

“Yup, see you then Jimmy!”

“It's James,” James rolled his eyes, making Steve smirk at the gesture.

“Whatever you say Jimmy,” the man winked before taking off to his next class. James sighed at him, realizing that Steve would probably not stop calling him Jimmy for the next few days until he realized that it wasn't annoying James anymore. Then again, James had to admit that he found the nickname of 'Jimmy' sounding much younger than just James. Perhaps he should just get used to the fact of being called Jimmy.

Seeing a lot of people just relaxing and sitting in groups on the grass or on some of the benches placed around the campus, James couldn't help but feel somewhat at home, knowing that these people shared the same love for art as he did. He took Steve's tip in consideration as he found himself sitting down against a tree with his eyes closed and looking slightly up to the sky.

Art school could do him some good, make some friends, progress further into the music part of his life and develop his drawing skills. Couldn't hurt anybody could it? Besides, he still loved learning and he wasn't too old to start school again, he was just in a coma for almost two years, it was a surprise that he could actually do all those things. Mark often said that James had never been artistically involved before the coma. Then again, his brother made a lot of comparing to the former James and the new James, who in his opinion was much more fun to hang around and relaxed.

Looking on his watch after a good half hour, James decided it was best for him if he already left for the Starbucks where he was to meet Steve in a good 20 minutes or so. But since he didn't know his way around here that well, he preferred to leave somewhat earlier so he had time to actually try and find his way. He felt some eyes of other students on his back as he wasn't exactly dressed to be all incognito but he ignored the glances they shot him, wondering if he was a new student or just lost.

Dressed in his bright pink shirt that Chantal had bought for him during their shopping trip before she left and some black jeans with his trainers under it, James felt out of place on the campus where everyone was dressed in some similar way like him, yet he couldn't feel like being left out, probably because he didn't actually know anyone around him.

“Hey new guy!” some guy came running up to him. James halted in his steps and frowned at the guy, wondering if he was going to hit him or not. For the first time, James actually wondered about that.

“I saw you around Steve, must mean you're pretty good, I'm Galus,” the man called Galus extended his hand to James who shook it with a smile on his face as he was glad to realize this man wasn't going to hit him, but how he got that in his head that he would get hit was unknown to him.

“So, do you go here?”

“Not yet, I'm thinking of it actually, might be a nice change,” James nodded, looking at the big building in which they were standing in front of, it kept amazing the man with all the details and it's grandness since James wasn't used to seeing buildings like this around the place he lived, he lived way to far away from the centre of the city to see things like this so they kept holding him in awe every time he saw something like this.

“Well, keep me informed alright? I got to get going now, nice having to talk to you dude!”

When he finally reached the Starbucks, after searching for 10 minutes where it exactly was, James sat down at one of the booths and ordered his coffee while waiting for Steve to show up. Looking outside the window, he smiled slightly as he saw Steve running towards the Starbucks, looking frantically on his watch.

“Oh you're already here! Damn it! Sorry I'm late dude but that teacher wouldn't stop talking to me,” Steve explained, trailing off before James just sighed and forced a cup of coffee in his hands.

“I took the liberty to order the same coffee as I had for you, if you don't like it give it back, I'll drink it,” he smirked.

“Hell fucking no, coffee is coffee dude, I drink anything if it's just handed to me,” Steve nodded before taking a long sip from the coffee cup and looking surprised at the taste of it.

“I hate you,” he muttered before sending a glare at James.

“Why?”

“Because it's my favorite coffee dude and I never even told you which one my favorite one is,” Steve complained a little, “sheesh dude, do you read minds or something?”

“So how did you get so popular around art school?”

“Thanks to the crazy shit I keep doing actually, if anything, I do it to shock and nothing else, deal with it,” Steve said, getting a bit defensive at the end that it made James look in shock at the man in front of him before smiling and knowing he should've expected an answer like that.

“So, how about we give that messing around of yours a listen shall we?” Steve said, standing up from the booth and looking at James, waiting for him to do the same. James took a sip from his coffee before nodding and throwing his empty cup away, stalking out of the Starbucks as soon as he could.

May 6th 1994

“Now that guitar part makes the whole song sound just so much better,” James said, amazed by Steve's guitar skills and the riff he came up with for the song. It was the only song James had allowed Steve to hear, still refusing to let anyone else hear his songs, but with Steve still nagging about wanting to hear the other songs, he was wondering if he should let the man hear some parts of the songs, just to hear his opinion.

“Just like I've been telling you for the past few days, now are you sure I can't hear the other songs!?” Steve whined, wanting to hear the other songs so badly he had been coming up with reasons all over the place just to convince James to let him hear them.

“Maybe,” James smirked, loving the fact that he was only annoying Steve to the end with his doubting and smirking right now.

“Sheesh Jimmy! Just let me hear those songs already!”

“Sure,” James shrugged, already used to Steve calling him Jimmy, and Steve was smart enough to keep saying it around the place so that both Mark and Kayleigh also started to call James Jimmy, much to his annoyance who found James better fitting with him for when he wasn't busy with anything around art.

“Really?”

“Well, only a few parts, I just want to know your opinion on th em and since you're quite good with music and stuff and I'm just a 'n00b' it would be good to have someone else's opinion on the things I do,” James shrugged, explaining why he suddenly changed his mind.

“Oh, alright, so let me hear those tunes Jimmy!”

“It's James you idiot!”

“I'll keep saying Jimmy until I get tired of it, which isn't soon, deal with it!”

James sighed and pressed a few buttons to speed the song up a little until he reached one of the better parts of the song. Giving Steve the headphone, he looked down to the synthesizer in front of him, anxious to hear the other man's opinion on what he was hearing.

“Are you sure you never did this before?”

“Yeah, pretty much because I've been having a rather boring life before I ever touched this thing,” James nodded, “why? You like it?”

“It's not suddenly the best around but it's fucking amazing for something that's made by someone who never did it before,” Steve nodded.

“Well I don't want to be the best around, I'm just messing around remember?”

“This doesn't sound like messing around actually.”

“Like what does it sound then?” James inquired, wondering what Steve was trying to say.

“Like, messing around actually,” Steve shrugged, putting down the head phone and smirking at James who rolled his eyes at the man.

“Come on, let's just get out of here,” James rolled his eyes, putting down his own set of headphones.

“I need coffee,” Steve muttered as he rubbed his tired eyes and entered the kitchen of James' apartment. He looked up in surprise when he didn't see Kayleigh sitting at the table or preparing food like she always was when he was over. He frowned a little as he sat down at the kitchen table and accepted the cup of coffee James handed him.

“You coffee addict.”

“Look who's talking,” Steve glared at James for a moment but then shot his eyes down towards the hot liquid in his cup.

“Where is Kayleigh?”

“Either hiding from you or doing groceries, I hate doing groceries so she finally realized that if she wants food she should do them or she'll starve,” James

“Why would she hide from me?”

“Because you're creepy cute?” James answered, putting down his own cup of coffee.

“Hell fucking no I'm not,” Steve said defensive,”maybe just cute but hell I'm not creepy!”

“I didn't say that, I said you're creepy cute, like, cute like Pokemon's and creepy like a stalker, you're both!” James threw his arms in the air as he tried to defend his previous sentence while Steve glared at him.

Opening his mouth several times and blinking, Steve looked at James and progressed his answer before actually forming a good sentence.

“Did you just- did you just compare me to a fucking stalking Pokemon!?”

“I think he did, hi Steve,” Kayleigh entered the kitchen, holding several plastic bags filled with food and drinks for the next few days.

“Hi Kayleigh,” Steve said back, sitting back down on the chair he had thrown back earlier when he had stand up, ready to punch James in the face.

“And all of the sudden he doesn't want to hit me anymore! Hell fucking yes!”

“Hit him for me Kayleigh,” Steve rolled his eyes and Kayleigh smirked before hitting James on the back of his head, making the frown and look at the both of them back and forth.

“You're spanning together, just peachy,” he muttered, rubbing the back of his head where Kayleigh had just hit him. Steve smirked and high-fived Kayleigh when she passed him before the girl sticked out her tongue at James and patted Steve on the back.

“Now make out,” James said, looking at Steve and Kayleigh with a grin on his lips that made them both look at him with wide eyes like he was crazy, “I mean it, there is too much sexual tension around here, just kiss each other already!”

“And now why would I do that James?” Kayleigh asked, standing behind Steve and looking at the man sitting on the other side of the table.

“Because I say so! Now make out already!”

“No!” both Steve and Kayleigh said in unison, which made them jump up slightly and look at each other before Steve detected a small blush on Kayleigh's cheeks, making him blush himself too. James sighed dreamy and propped his elbows on the table before leaning with his head on the palms of his hands and looking at them.

“You two, should so get together, your babies would be so damn adorable,” James looked at both Kayleigh and Steve who looked shocked at the man in front of him before Kayleigh just made her way back to wards him and hit him on the back of the head again.

“If you love Steve so much, why don't you date him then?”

“Because there is too much of sexual tension between the two of you,” James said, standing up and pushing Kayleigh on Steve's lap before running out of the kitchen, yelling over his shoulder again 'now make out', which only made the two people left in the kitchen sigh and look at each other.

Steve kept his eyes on Kayleigh as she blushed a little when he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer.

“You know, I don't know if it's true about that sexual tension, but I do know that you're damn beautiful,” Steve muttered, taking Kayleigh's head in his hands and pulling her closer to him before he pressed his lips against hers.