There's a Certain Loneliness in Your Company

Take Care of Her

"Please, please, please..." Glitch began to cry against Ghoul's chest. She could hear Poison's similar pleas behind her as he continued trying to revive Skyla. Ghoul's grip tightened around her, unable to provide any words of comfort.

At first, Glitch couldn't help but feel like this was her fault. She should have been with her. This wouldn't have happened if she wasn't being taken by ONE every time she turned around. If she wasn't off trying to do some bullshit tasks for him, she could have been here. That's when she realized he's the one she should be mad at. He was the one taking her away from the life she knew, trying to turn her into some sort of thieving assassin. He's the reason she wasn't there for Skyla. The thought just made her more upset and angry, and she balled her fists up against Ghoul's chest in frustration.

"Sky?" Poison's voice was barely audible causing everyone to turn toward him. Glitch kept a firm grip on Ghoul's shirt as she looked over her shoulder to the table. With a heaving breath, she watched as Skyla's lungs filled with air which she began to cough up immediately. Glitch felt her whole body relax along with the rest of the room and she let out a whimper of relief.

She released her grip on Ghoul and stumbled over to the other side of the table across from Poison who had his head down, pressing the back of Skyla's hand to his forehead. She noticed the moisture dripping off his face onto the table. She wasn't sure if it was sweat or tears or a mixture of the two. She was aware of her own tears springing to her eyes as she took Skyla's other hand in her own. After taking a couple of large tanks of air, Skyla was breathing more comfortably and looked at the faces surrounding her, concern spreading across her own.

"Tox ... Poison." She looked between both of their faces, seeming confused. Poison had lifted his head and began inspecting her, watching her movements and her facial expressions. He glanced at Toxic, unsure of what to say. Toxic hadn't calmed herself down enough yet to begin explaining anything.

"So you can remember us?"

Everyone's eyes moved to the end of the table where Ghoul's stood, his hands resting on the table, his body language very calm. Skyla looked down at him, then to the other faces in the room, like she had just noticed they were there. She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Yes."

"Do you know where you are?"

She attempted to look around the room, but quickly closed her eyes and groaned. Poison and Glitch were quick to respond, both giving her hand a squeeze.

"It's ok, just go slow." Poison's words attempted to reassure her. She slowly opened her eyes and stared directly at him. Glitch noticed Skyla’s body relaxing the longer she watched him. It caught her off guard the way Skyla trusted him as much as she did in the little time she had known him. It shouldn't have, though. She glanced to the end of the table at Fun Ghoul who was already staring at her. He cleared his throat and looked toward the ground. Skyla stirred once more, bringing Glitch's attention back to her.

"Do you know where you are?" Poison asked this time.

"Yes." She opened her eyes and looked to him for comfort once more.

"Do you know what happened? How you ended up unconscious?" Ghoul was back to asking the questions.

"I don't know. I just went on a run, and then..." She trailed off, looking frustrated. She made an attempt to sit up, causing Poison to reach out and grab both of her shoulders. "I'm fine. I just need to get up."

He hesitated before helping her to the edge of the table. She rubbed her forehead and groaned again.

"I just... I don't know."

"You don't remember seeing anyone? Hearing anything?" Ghoul continued to drill her.

"I can't. I don't know." She began to sound irritated.

"Alright, that's enough. We can ask later." Poison never took his eyes off Skyla, but he voice was stern towards Ghoul. He picked her up once more slowly and carried her towards one of the bedrooms. "You need to rest a little more. Someone get her some water and something to eat." This command wasn't toward anyone in particular. Kobra didn't hesitate as he made his way silently to their rations in the other room. Jet Star walked toward the hallway as well, probably going to help Poison get Skyla situated.

Glitch let out a shaky sigh as she turned and gazed out the window. She absently wiped away the tears that still clung to her cheeks as she watched the sun sink below the edge of the desert. She suddenly felt Ghoul's presence next to her though her eyes never left the window. She felt him gently put his hand on her, rubbing circles in the small of her back. Sniffling, she glanced up and gave him a weak smile.

"Are you going to be ok?" He asked, looking like he already knew that was a dumb question.

She thought she had gotten herself under control but at his words she felt sick, her eyes watering once more. Knowing better than to try and say anything, she just shook her head silently. His hand moved up to her shoulder and coaxed her to lean into him, which she would have done without his persuading. He moved in close to her and she felt his lips press against her forehead for a moment before joining her in staring out the window. The feeling in her stomach went from sickness to butterflies at the intimate gesture, though she felt guilty for being distracted by it.

They sat in silence as the sun continued to set over the wasteland in front of them. They heard the shuffling of the guys reentering the room and they turned around to join them. Glitch's attention immediately went to Poison knowing he would give her the run down.

"She seems fine for now. She doesn't remember anything past driving through the zones. I don't want to overload her with questions right now, though. I don't think she realizes she was ... gone when we found her. I think it's best to wait until the morning to discuss it more."

Glitch could see the pain on his face as he hesitated to say it out loud. Skyla was, for all intents and purposes, dead. No one wanted to think about that, especially Glitch and Poison. She felt the sting of those words as well when he said them. He took a few moments to clear his head before speaking again.

"Glitch, you're more than welcome to stay here in case she needs anything, but it looks like she might sleep through the night. We can rearrange sleeping situations to make room." He looked around and began figuring out who could go where. As much as Glitch wanted to stay, she knew she had some things to take care of. Something that might just explain what happened here. She would be back tomorrow no matter what it took.

"I would, but I have to take care of something first. I'll be back here as soon as I can, though."

"Take care of? Like what?" Ghoul voice was concerned.

"I'm going to find out what happened to Skyla."

There was a pause in the room while the guys, mostly Ghoul and Poison, exchanged glances. She could see the differing opinions on their faces without them saying a word. Poison gave a nod and Ghoul looked at him with confusion.

"Alright, but be careful." Poison said, turning to look at Glitch.

"Are you serious? What if something happens to her?" Ghoul was quick on the defense.

"I'll be fine. No matter what, I'll be back tomorrow."

"And what if you don't come back? What if they get you like Skyla and we can't find you?" They had turned to face each other now, the argument solely between Ghoul and Glitch.

"They won't."

"How do you know that?" He raised his voice causing everyone to shift uncomfortably. She kept her composure, watching the creases in his forehead deepen with frustration.

"Do you trust me?" She didn't have to raise her voice to him, but his features softened. He let out a long sigh in defeat.

"Just let me come with you." He didn't look angry anymore, just worried. She couldn't blame him. He didn't know what was going on, but she was sure this was the work of ONE. She didn't understand why or how, but that's what she was going to find out. She couldn't tell them this, though. She thought about it for a moment, trying to devise a plan in her head. She decided she would have to figure it out on the way.

"Fine, but you listen to me. Skyla is my only ... my best friend. This is my revenge, not yours, okay?"

"Deal." He seemed satisfied with this arrangement as long as she wasn't alone.

"Alright, then it’s settled. You both will be back here as soon as you find something. If not, you'll be here in the morning, alright?" Poison told them rather then asked them in his leader-like fashion. Everyone was agreed, and Ghoul and Glitch silently made their way toward the front door. Glitch stopped in front of Poison and surprised both of them when she turned and wrapped her arms around him.

"Take care of her." She whispered. He just nodded and squeezed her back briefly. With that, Glitch and Ghoul exited the house and walked to Eight Legs without exchanging any words until they began their drive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another update. Hope the ones reading this are enjoying it. Feedback really does help me with my writing. Cheers.