There's a Certain Loneliness in Your Company

ONE

Her eyes flutter close and she took a deep breath, feeling the warm substance course through her veins. Immediately she felt the world around her disappear and all that was left was her, this worn couch, and a now empty syringe. She always said it was the last time, but how could she stop when she felt this good? It was her coping mechanism for the hellish life she had been living. Or maybe it's the reason her life is a living hell. It had been so long now that she wasn't even sure anymore.

Most everyone she knew had forgotten about her and moved on with their lives save for one friend. Skyla. She didn't indulge the way Glitch did, but Skyla knew she couldn't leave her. And Glitch was grateful for that. She knew it hurt Skyla to see her like this, but she just couldn't stop. She would regret it in the morning, like she always did, miss it in the evening, like she always did, then love it by dark fall, like she always did. This was who she was, and she didn't think she could ever change. Not even for Skyla.

With her eyes shut and her mind gone to another time, she didn't even notice when the door to her dingy shack opened and closed. A figure glided gracefully across the room before settling in a dark corner watching as Glitch moaned and grumbled something unintelligible. The figure took a few moments, admiring their prey. Studying the face of the girl they were going to exterminate. Glitch may not be associated with BL/ind, but she was the type of scum that served no purpose for the greater good. These types of people would be worthless when the time came to invade. They don't have the drive or the will. They are too selfish. Glitch had no idea she was being examined this way because of that very reason. She was being stalked and measured up to size, and she had no idea because the most important thing right now was Glitch and the world she escaped to when she would inject herself every night.

The figure watched as Glitch settled down and decided now was the time. They felt no remorse as they reached for the gun tucked away in its holster. As they took a step forward, their foot collided with an empty bottle on the floor. The figure froze. In a swift, hazy motion, Glitch jumped up from the couch and reached under the table for the gun she had stashed away. She aimed in the direction of the noise, though she was unable to see three feet in front of her. The drugs were settling nicely, and no matter how much she fought it, she couldn't stop its effects on her. In her head, she was screaming. Her life was in danger. The drugs didn't care. They, too, had no remorse. She blinked a few more times, trying to focus on the figure who had also drawn their gun.

"Shoot them."

She wasn't sure if it was in her head or not, but without any more hesitation, she fired. Someone crashed to the floor without so much as a whimper. Glitch took in a sharp breath before dropping her gun to the floor.

"Oh, God. Oh, God. No no no no ..." She mumbled as tears filled her eyes. What did she do? She fell back onto the couch and scratched desperately at her arm. She didn't want this anymore. She wanted the drugs out. She couldn't think straight. Was this really happening? Is this just a dream? She couldn't even be sure of her surrounds because of this damn drug.

"Well... I didn't mean you."

There was that voice again. Glitch gripped the sides of her head and groaned.

"Please! Stop!" She pleaded with the voice.

"Maybe it was for the best." The voice was closer now. She opened her eyes and stifled a scream. Someone else was standing in front of her.

"You're not real. This isn't happening." She clinched her eyes shut once more and began rocking back and forth on the couch.

"Yes I am."

"Skyla! Skyla!" She called out for her only friend, hoping by some miracle she would be on her way here and hear her cries for help. To her dismay, her voice wasn't more than a shaky whisper.

"Open your eyes."

"No..."

"Open your eyes!" The voice shouted causing her to jump to attention, eyes wide open. He was close enough now that she could see his face clearly and she gasped.

"You're... you're ONE."

"Hmm, my reputation precedes me." He was quiet and cocky again.

"W-what's going on? Why are you here? Oh..." She groaned as the drugs forced her to bring her knees to her chest as she fought for control of her own body.

“Well, my command to shoot was for Red Thorn, but … well, it looks like you were faster. She was supposed to kill you. She was always so hesitant…” he added nonchalantly.

She opened her eyes and stared at the man now crouched in front of her. Her heart was beating out of her chest and she was sure he could hear it as well. Glitch knew all about ONE and what his assassins were trained to do. Cleaning the zones of street scum that served no purpose; building an army to take down BL/ind. She never thought it would be her, though. She had flown under their radar for so long. As if he could read her thoughts, he chuckled and stood upright.

“Red Thorn had been watching you for a while. Determining what you were worth to the operation. Not much, although you were quick on the trigger. I do like that …” He began to pace her apartment, rubbing the stubble of his chin. “What’s your name?”

“Glitch. Toxic Glitch.” She was quick to answer this time. He smirked as though he knew something she didn’t. Something about herself.

“Tell me … have you killed anyone before?”

“N-no.”

“Have any relatives? Close friends?”

“Just one.” She watched him intently. A moment passed without him saying anything before he reached to his holster.

“How bad do you wanna live?” He raised his gun and she froze; a deer in headlights.

“Please, I’ll do anything.” She whimpered when she realized she had dropped her own gun to the floor and out of reach. Even if she wanted to grab it, her body was shutting down from the drugs. Despite the danger she was in, she couldn’t help but feel groggy. He stood with his gun raised for a few more moments before tucking it back into its holster.

“I hesitate to do this. I’ve only done it one other time and it ended badly. You have to promise me one thing. You get clean off that dirt you’ve been shootin’, and I’ll take you in. Train you to take down BL/ind. Just ditch this life and join me. Leave everything behind. Can you do that?”

“Yes, yes. I … I will…” She tried desperately to keep a clear head but was drifting from consciousness as she spoke. It didn’t go unnoticed as ONE shook his head. Almost as if he was already regretting his merciful choice. He glanced at the body on the floor then to his watch.

“You have until 23:00 tomorrow to get this sorted. I’ll be back for you. Someone will clean this up.” He motioned to the now-dead Red Thorn lying in the middle of her living room, staining the rug with her blood. She was no longer an asset but a burden to him. Or whoever would be cleaning up the mess. She watched through her fogged vision as two more hooded figures entered her apartment while he exited. She couldn’t even muster up the strength to detest the people in her home. She fell back against the couch in defeat as her eyes closed with exhaustion. The last thing she saw was Red Thorn’s blood stained hand fall limp out of the gurney as her body was wheeled out of the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh hi guys. Long time, no see. Here's a new chapter. Let me know what you think. Cheers.