What I Did for Love

Just Friends

Ana breathed in the Dortmund Air, it felt so much different to the last time she was here. Quickly pushing that thought out of her head, she refused to think about Robert.Her therapist said that wasn't healthy but right now it was the only thing keeping her going, not thinking about the man who had betrayed her.

Ana had met her new work mates yesterday,they were a lot more nicer than the ones back home in New York. She had a good feeling about working in Dortmund, yes it held not so good memories, but she was going to move on and Make some good ones.

Ana's phone buzzed, pulling it out of her pocket she glanced down at the text, Mats was asking where she was. She should have been at the game already. Ana would have been on time but she wanted to go and Buy a Dortmund shirt first. Ana quickly sent Mats a text to tell him she was on her way.

Hailing down the nearest Taxi, Ana quickly climbed in and gave the driver the address Mats had given her.

" You going to the game?" The man asked, taking Ana by surprise, most people had spoken to her in German, since she arrived a few days ago.

" Yes, this is my first game" she admitted.

" You will love it, nothing beats a Dortmund game, the fans are incredible" the man said, stopping at a red light.

" I am looking forward to it" Ana replied, a little more excited that she was about to see Marco again.

Ana looked out the window, taking Dortmund in because of what happened the last time she was here, she never got to admire how beautiful the city was.

***
Mats watched as Marco jogged lightly on the spot, he was nervous Mats could tell, in fact they were all nervous. The fans had been great about Dortmund's recent poor form, but the Media not so much.Mats knew they needed to give a good performance against Schalke.

" Quit staring at me" Marco muttered under his breath, he had noticed Mats watching him ten minutes ago.

" Just want to make sure you are fired up for this match" Mats said quietly.

" I more than fired up" Marco replied arrogantly.

" Good" Mats said, slapping him on the back, before he walked to the front of the team.

Marco was more than ready for this match, this was a must win game, nothing less than three points would do. Marco followed his teammates out onto the pitch, he looked around at the fans, They had been amazing over the last few months. They deserved more than what Dortmund was giving them right now.

Marco quickly looked up at his box, his parents had come today along with Emma, things were nice between them, but Marco wasn't feeling much passion. He was only dating her to get Mats off his back, he knew it was wrong and should end things with her, but Marco didn't want to hurt Emma, she was the first nice girl he had met in a long time, well apart from Ana. He frowned as he allowed himself to think of Ana for the first time in days, she clearly didn't want to talk with him no more, so he should also move on. Yet something kept him from deleting her from his life for good.

***

The crowd was buzzing, Dortmund had managed to win their game, It was quite a game, Ana had enjoyed herself. She watched as the players thanked the fans, she smiled as Marco waved at the crowd. Ana couldn't wait till she saw the look on his face when he saw that she was here.

Ana turned to go, but she was pulled back by a girl that had constantly been throwing dirty looks her way during the game.

" I haven't see you around here before, who are you?" the strange girl demanded.

" Nobody, just a fan watching the game" Ana said, bemused at the girls behavior.

" Fans don't sit in these seats, only family and partners do" the girl fired back.

" I am just a fan" Ana said, trying to shrug the annoying girl off, but she was stubborn.

" Who are you?" the girl asked again.

" Does it really matter?" Ana asked, relieved to see Mats heading her way.

" Just stay away from my boyfriend" the girl spat, she wasn't stupid only trusted people got to sit up here, this was Marco's box and obviously the American girl meant something to Marco.

" I don't even know who your boyfriend is" Ana replied.

The girl went to speak, but Mats appearance cut her off, Ana smirked at her reaction before she turned to face Mats.

" You ready to Surprise Marco?" Mats asked, after he gave her a hug hello.

The girl hearing this, stepped forward " Who are you to Marco?" she asked, making Mats roll his eyes. He wasn't Emma's biggest fan, at the time when he had set her up with Marco he thought they would be good together, but all Emma did was moan and Nag at him.

" This doesn't concern you" Mats said to her, as he pulled Ana in his direction.

" She is about to meet my boyfriend, I have a right to know who she is" Emma yelled after them.

" Ignore her, she won't be his girlfriend much longer" Mats said quietly as he led the way down to the players locker room.

Ana stopped outside the door, Mats looked back at her, a little confused he thought this is what she had wanted.

" What is the problem?" he asked, holding the door open, so Ana could step through.

" I don't think I Will feel comfortable with being around your naked Teammates" Ana muttered.

Mats laughed loudly, he shook his head at Ana, before he pulled her into the locker room. A few players looked over at them a little surprised and Curious.

" Where is Marco?" Mat asked, nobody in Particular.

" I think I should wait outside" Ana hissed at Mats, she didn't like the way some of the footballers were looking at her.

" Marco is in the showers" someone yelled out.

Mats nodded, then turned to Ana " You stay here I will get Marco" Mats said grinning at her, before he turned and headed off to the showers. Ana kept her face on the floor, she heard a few of the players whispering, she ignored them, knowing they were probably wondering who the hell she was.

***

Marco wrapped a towel round his waist and walked towards his locker, he was stopped in his tracks by Mats.

" I need you to come with me and Meet a fan" Mats said,making it clear it wasn't up for discussion.

" I hardly dressed for a meeting with a fan" Marco replied sarcastically.

" Trust me you will want to meet this one" Mats called back, as they made their way back to the team, who were all looking between them and Ana.

Mats stepped to the side and watched as Marco's eyes widened in Surprise at Ana standing in their locker room.

Marco slowly walked towards Ana, she looked so much better in the flesh.

" What are you doing here?" he blurted out.

Mats groaned to himself, Marco could be a Idiot at times.

"I thought I would surprise you" Ana said, having a hard time keeping her eyes on Marco's face. He was standing in front of her in just his towel, most fan girls would love to be in her position right now.

" So you haven't been ignoring me?" Marco asked, stepping closer to Ana.

" I was busy with work, I wasn't ignoring you, I had a lot of stuff to deal with" Ana replied.

A slow smile spread across Marco's face as he stared at the Dortmund's shirt Ana was wearing.

" Nice Shirt" Marco said.

" Thanks, the guy who sold it to me, told me that it was quite a popular shirt in Dortmund" Ana replied.

" Do you have a name on the back?" Marco asked, hoping that it was his name on her back.

" Maybe" Ana teased, then became painfully aware that they were being watched by all of Marco's teammates.

" Give me five minutes and we can head out" Marco said, noticing Ana's discomfort.

" Okay" Ana replied, she watched Marco, as he swaggered over to his locker.

" Well that wasn't the big reunion I was expecting" Mats said.

Ana glanced over at him and laughed, what did he expect that she would fall into Marco's arms. It wasn't going to happen, Marco was a friend and right now that was all she needed.

" What did you expect?... us to fall into each other arms?" Ana snorted.

" No but a hug would have done nicely" Mats said, wrapping his arm around Ana and leading her out the locker room.

" We are just friends Mats" she said.

Mats knew she was lying to herself, he knew from Marco that she was hurt in the past, but he had a feeling Ana would be good for Marco.

" Whatever you say Ana" Mats called out, before he made his way back into the locker room.

***

Marco finally appeared about twenty minutes later, she smiled as he ran his hand through his hair, he really didn't like anyone but himself touching it.

" Sorry I took so long" Marco said, sounding anything but sorry.

" Its okay I understand than you and your hair need some alone time" Ana joked, earning her a playful nudge from Marco.

" My Hair is my best feature" Marco defended as they made their way to the exit.

" Don't we all know it" Ana teased.

Marco shook his head and walked towards his car, he turned back when he saw Ana wasn't following.

" You okay?" he asked walking back towards her.

Ana snapped out her day dream and nodded her head, she was just being stupid.

" I am fine, So where are you taking me?" she asked.

Marco smiled at the Ana, he had heard the doubt in her Voice, he wouldn't dream of hurting her.

" I figured we could go back to mine, order something in and you can tell me why you are in Dortmund" Marco said.

" That sounds good" Ana replied, walking to the passenger side, she was about to get in when a female voice called out Marco's Name.

Marco cursed under his breath, he had forgotten all about Emma, Ana turned to see the Girl who had tried to scare her off Marco, standing a few yards from them. So this was his girlfriend, Ana almost Laughed out loud, Marco could do so much better.

" Emma I will call you later okay" Marco said, hoping she wouldn't make a scene.

Emma glared at her boyfriend, before she turned her attention to Ana.

" Who are you?" she asked.

" Emma, she is just a friend" Marco sighed.

" I wasn't asking you, I was asking her" Emma spat at him.

Ana not wanting to get involved in the couple's argument, took a step away from them, she didn't get far as Marco pulled her back.

" We have plans" He muttered to her, then turned back to Emma.

" We will talk later" he said, waving her off, Emma shook her head and shrieked before she stormed off, she didn't like that another girl was holding her boyfriend's attention.

"Nice girl you have there" Ana said, a little amused.

" Don't start" Marco warned as they got into his car, he would talk to Emma when she calmed down, She wasn't a nasty person she would understand.

Ana held her hands up in surrender, who Marco dated was none of her business, she wanted to enjoy her time with Marco tonight and not argue about his girlfriend.