What I Did for Love

Can You Keep A Secret?

Ana smiled as she received another text from Marco, he had been messaging her non-stop since she had arrived in New York, a couple of days ago. He wasn't putting pressure on her to make her decision and she loved him for that.

" Is that Marco?" Deana asked, noting the smile on Ana's face.

Ana quickly sent Marco a text back, then placed her phone back in her pocket.

" Yeah, he just wanted to make sure I was okay" Ana said, picking up her Lemonade.

Deana shared a look with Henry, they had seen this look on Ana's face before it was with Robert, they didn't want to see her hurt again.

" How long have you been seeing him now?" Henry asked, a little surprised that Marco hadn't come back to New York with Ana.

" A little over six months" she beamed.

" Are you happy with him?" Deana asked, although she knew the answer, you only had to look at Ana to see she was happy.

" I am, he makes me very happy" she gushed.

Henry had his reservations, but knew he couldn't tell Ana who she could and couldn't date.

" He asked me a question" Ana said.

" What sort of question?" Deana asked.

" He sort of asked me to Marry him" Ana said rather quickly.

Henry and Deana were a little stunned, they hadn't expected that, they thought it was a little soon soon for any of that.

" What did you tell him? Deana asked, looking at Ana's ring less finger.

" I told him I needed to think about it, as I didn't want us to rush into things" Ana replied.

" Good girl" Henry said, as he didn't think Ana was ready for that next step.

Ana took a sip of her lemonade and then placed it back down on the table. The last few days had given her a chance to think and she had made her decision.

" The thing is I want to Marry him" Ana admitted.

Deana smiled at her daughter, she could tell she was in love, but she didn't want Ana to make any stupid mistakes.

" Are you sure, because Marriage is a big commitment" Deana said, looking towards her husband for help.

" I am more than sure, I want to be with Marco" Ana said, her face lightening up as she spoke of him.

" Then we will support you, whatever you decide" Henry said warily, he couldn't help but be a little concerned. Things were moving way too fast.

" Where is the ring?" Deana asked.

" I told Marco to keep a hold of it, till I made my choice" Ana replied.

" Ana, are you sure this is what you want?" Deana asked.

Ana smiled at her parents, she could see they were concerned, but she was happy and she was going do what felt right to her.

" I am sure" she grinned, hoping her parents wouldn't try and talk her out of it, while she was in New York.

***

Marco ignored Marcel and Mario's attempts at chatting a few girls up, he had come out tonight, just to stop them nagging a him. He was happy just being at home, but they said he was being boring, so here he was.

" Mario I am not interested in even talking to those girls" Marco said,rather rudely.

The girls heard what Marco said and glared at him, they knew he had a girlfriend, but were going to try and seduce him, but he was clearly not interested.

" You don't have to take them home Marco, just talk to them" Marcel encouraged. He hated that his wing man was no longer around.

" Hi" Marco muttered, as he took a swig of his beer.

The girls just giggled and moved a little closer to Marco, he eyed them warily.

" I have a girlfriend, so I am not interested in anything else Okay"he barked at them.

Mario glared at Marco, as the girls went back to their table " Did you have to scare them off?" he asked, not amused at all.

" I told you I didn't want to be here tonight" Marco muttered, as he pulled his phone out. His face lit up when he saw he had a message waiting from Ana.

" Well sitting at home moping around while Ana is away is not my type of fun" Mario snorted.

" I don't mope around" Marco said, without looking up from his phone.

" Yes you do" Marcel laughed.

Marco didn't hear him, he was too busy writing his message to Ana, Mario went to reach for the phone, but Marco was too quick for him.

" Tell Ana you will speak to her tomorrow, this is a boys night" Mario demanded.

Marco quickly finished his message and then put his phone away.

" I can't wait till Ana is back, you are awful without her" Marcel teased.

" Shut up" Marco yelled, while rolling his eyes at his friends.

" When is Ana back?" Mario asked.

" In a few weeks" Marco muttered, it had only been a few days since she went, but it felt like a week.

" Why didn't you go with her?" Marcel asked.

Marco took another swig of her beer before answering " I always spend Christmas with my family" he replied.

" I am sure they would understand" Mario said.

" Maybe, but Ana wanted space to think" Marco added.

Mario was a little curious now " What does Ana have to think about?" he asked.

" I kinda asked Ana to Marry me" Marco blurted out.

Mario choked on his beer, that had been the last thing he expected to come out from Marco's mouth.

" You proposed?" Marcel asked, also shocked by Marco's sudden proposal.

" Yes" Marco replied.

" Hold on, I thought you were not the Marrying kind?" Mario asked.

Marco smiled at his friend's disbelief " I wasn't until Ana, I want to settle down with her" Marco confessed.

" Wow Marco finally settling down, never thought I would see the day" Marcel joked.

" She isn't pregnant is she?" Mario asked.

" No she isn't fool" Marco snapped back.

" Just checking, you know you will be asked that question when everyone finds out" Mario added.

" There might no be a wedding, Ana hasn't said yes" Marco muttered.

" She hasn't said no either" Mario hit back.

" Are you seriously going to do this?" Marcel asked.

Marco nodded and finished his beer, he had never been so serious in all his life, if Ana said yes, he would Marry her.

" Well I hope she says yes" Mario said.

" Me too" Marco muttered, he would have another two weeks of not knowing and he knew that was going to make it worse for him.

***

Ana clicked on her Lap top and waited for Marco to come on Screen, she knew he had been out tonight and was just wanting to make sure he got home alright.

Ana smiled as Marco finally appeared on screen, he looked a little tired. Mario was in the background, talking to someone on his phone.

" Hey, you look a little tired" she said, wishing she was back in Dortmund with him.

" I am, Marcel and Mario dragged me out tonight" Marco yawned.

" Anywhere interesting?" she asked.

" Nah, just the usual place" Marco replied, running his hand through his hair.

" Have you been drinking?" she asked.

" I had a couple of beers" Marco mumbled, as he sat down on his seat.

" You should get some sleep" Ana suggested.

Marco pouted a little, he hadn't seen her in a few days, he wanted to talk a little more.

" I will, after I talk with you, how is New York?" he asked.

" Great, my parents won't stop fussing over me" she complained.

Marco laughed " That is only to be expected, they don't see you enough" he replied.

" True" she sighed.

Marco rubbed his eyes a little, " Have you spoken to Robert's parents yet?" he asked.

Ana hadn't gotten round to that, she was going to speak to them before she left.

" Not yet, but I have made my decision regarding your question" she said.

Marco eyes widened a little, he hadn't expected Ana to make it so soon.

" Are you going tell me?" Marco whined.

" Yes please put him out of his Misery" Mario added.

" I will give you my answer soon" Ana teased.

Marco glared at his girlfriend, she could be so annoying when she wanted to be.

" Ana you can't say that and not tell me, that is cruel and annoying" he replied.

Ana just blew Marco a kiss, then turned to Mario " You better be looking out for Marco" she said sternly.

Marco moved away from the screen, muttering he was away to bed, clearly not amused at Ana's teasing behavior.

Mario waited till Marco was out of the room, before he turned back to Ana.

" I am looking out for him, you are going say yes right?" he asked.

" Can you keep a secret?" she asked.

Mario was terrible at the secrets but he wouldn't tell Ana that " I can keep a secret" he lied.

" Don't tell Marco this, but I am coming home on Christmas eve to surprise him" Ana whispered.

" Am I the only person you have told?" he asked.

Ana slowly shook her head " No his parents know too" Ana confirmed.

Mario smiled glad that Ana was coming home soon, Marco was like a bear with a sore head when she was gone.

" What about the Marriage question?" he asked.

Ana chuckled lightly " I am not going to tell you, when I haven't even given Marco my answer yet" she giggled.

" Marco is right about you, you are annoying" Mario joked.

Ana laughed at Mario, then she looked at the time, it was getting late.

" I have to go, look after him for me, and no spoiling the surprise" she warned Mario before she signed off.

***
Ana walked up the pathway she knew so well. she didn't want to do this. Ana knew it had to be done, if she truly wanted to move on and be happy. She may never forgive them for lying to her, but it was time for all concerned to talk and move on.

Ana knocked a couple of times on the door, she looked around as she waited, she didn't really miss this place anymore, it no longer held any meaning for her.

The door slowly opened, Ana turned back round " We need to talk" was all she said.