What I Did for Love

Interesting Job Offer

" You missed an open goal" Ana teased Marco, she had watched his game and thought he played good, but wasn't going to tell him that, his ego was already huge.

" I miss kicked the Ball" Marco said, still a little embarrassed about his miss.

" If you say so" Ana said, a huge smile spread across her face.

" So how have you been?" Marco asked, diverting attention away from himself.

Ana thought about Marco's question, in truth, she was doing better than expected. It had been three months since Robert's death and while she will probably never get over what he did, she was learning to deal with it. That may have something to do with Marco, ever since he gone back to Dortmund they talked at least once a week.

" I am doing good" Ana replied.

" That is good to hear, are you still seeing your therapist?" Marco asked.

" Yes only once a month now, she doesn't think I need much support" Ana said.

Marco smiled at Ana, she really did seem to be dealing with everything really well.

" How are things with you?" Ana asked.

" Pretty much the same, train, play football and sleep, then repeat" Marco replied.

" Don't you get out?" Ana gasped, she thought that Marco would be going out every weekend, now he was single.

" Not really, My injuries have saw to that" Marco moaned.

" So no new girlfriend?" Ana teased.

" Still happily single" Marco relied winking at her.

Ana laughed a little, Marco could be such a flirt at times, she watched as a few of Marco's teammates came into view.

" Who is the pretty girl Marco? the dark haired player asked, Ana was sure that it was Mats Hummels.

Marco groaned, he didn't want to introduce Ana to them, because he knew they would make a big deal out of nothing.

" Guys this is Ana, Ana these Idiots are Mats and Erik" Marco said, waving his hand towards his friends.

" Nice to meet you Mats and Erik" Ana said.

" Ooh she is American" Mats blurted out, making Marco roll his eyes. Mats wasn't the brightest.

" I love Americans" Erik said.

Marco groaned at his friends, they were acting like Idiots.

" So are you the girl who has our boy all distracted?" Mats asked Ana.

" I don't know what you mean? Ana said, blushing a little.

" Nobody has me distracted" Marco protested.

" Sure" Erik replied sarcastically.

Ana laughed at Marco's friends, they were Hilarious, she looked at the time it was getting late, she needed to go to bed.

" Marco I have to go, same time next week?" Ana asked

" Yeah sure, speak to you then" Marco said, before he logged off.

Marco glared at his friends, he was pretty sure that they had chased Ana away.

" So how long have you been talking to Green eyes?" Mats asked.

" Green eyes?" Marco asked.

" Don't tell me you haven't noticed how green, her eyes are Marco? Mats replied.

" Of course but she has a name" Marco mumbled.

" Green eyes suit her better" Mats joked.

" So how long have you known her?" Erik asked, he was a little surprised that Marco had kept her hidden.

" Only a few months, we are just friends" Marco replied, he knew where his friends were going with this, but she was in New York and he was in Dortmund, nothing would happen.

Mats studied Marco closely, he always knew when Marco liked someone.

" You want more" Mats said.

" No I don't" Marco denied.

" You are lying" Erik sang annoyingly.

" I don't want more" Marco stuttered.

" Sure, I believe you, but thousands wouldn't" Mats replied.

" Whatever" Marco mumbled, closing his lap top and went to get ready for their first practice of the day.

***

Ana yawned as she sat at her desk, the late night talk with Marco, was the reason why she was tired. She smiled as she remembered Marco with his silly friends, she wished that she had friends like them, most of her friends ditched her after Robert's death, they sided with his parents. Picking up her coffee, she took a sip then got a start on her work. She worked for a magazine, she loved designing stuff. The last couple of months Ana had struggled to come up with anything, thankfully her bosses were understanding about her situation.

Ana looked up as her assistant walked into her office " Harry would like a word" Kate said.

" Did he say what about?" Ana asked, taking her glasses off, she needed them for her work.

" No, just said he wants you to go to his office,when you got in" Kate said. Kate liked Ana, she wasn't stuck up like the rest that worked for the magazine

" Okay Thanks Kate" Ana said, grabbing her notebook and pen and headed to Harry's office.

Harry's door was already opened, she knocked lightly on the door, Harry looked up and smiled at Ana.

" Take a seat" he said, waving his hand to the chair opposite his desk.

" Am I in trouble?" Ana asked.

Harry shook his head, Ana was one of his favorite employees her designs were amazing and he didn't want to lose her.

" No of course not" he replied.

Ana shifted nervously in her chair " So what is this about?" she asked.

" I have a job opportunity for you" Harry said, smiling at Ana, she had deserved this.

" What sort of a job?" she asked, a little curious.

" As you know our magazine is expanding, we are setting up a new department in Germany and I would like you to be the head of it" Harry said.

Ana was too stunned to speak, this was a big opportunity for her, but she wasn't sure if she was ready for this.

" Why me?" Ana asked.

" You have great vision, your designs are amazing, and I trust you to run the department in Germany" Harry replied.

" Where in Germany?" Ana asked.

Harry looked down at the papers on his desk, then back at Ana " Dortmund, It's a great city" Harry said.

" Do you think am ready for such a big step?" Ana asked doubtfully.

" I do, but the decision is yours" Harry said.

" Can I some time to think it through?" Ana asked.

" I can give you a couple of days, I need your answer by Friday" Harry said.

" You will have it by then" Ana said, getting to her feet.

" You deserve this Ana" Harry said, before Ana walked out his office. She was still a little stunned by the offer, she would need to talk to her parents about it.

***

Marco couldn't believe he was doing this, all to prove that he didn't have feelings for Ana. He ran his hand through his hair nervously as he looked for the girl Mats had set him up with. He wasn't really looking to date again, but his friends thought differently.

Marco walked to the girl waiting by the bar, this better be her if it wasn't he was going to leave and just lie to Mats and say the girl hadn't turned up.

" Are you Emma?" he asked the brunette.

Emma turned at the mention of her name, she smiled at the man standing in front of her, she knew exactly who he was, everyone did in Dortmund.

" Yep, and you must be Marco" she replied, smiling warmly at him.

Marco couldn't help but smile back, maybe this date wouldn't be as bad as he had first thought.

" Would you like a drink?" Marco offered.

" I have already got one thanks" Emma said, pointing at her drink.

" Okay then shall we get started" Marco replied, making his date chuckle.

" Marco this isn't an interview" Emma teased lightly.

" Sorry, I am so bad at this" Marco muttered, as he waved at the bartender.

" You are not that bad" Emma said, trying to put him at ease.

Marco ordered his drink, then turned back to Emma, she seemed really nice and not like the usual girls he usually found himself surrounded by. " She isn't Ana" a voice at the back of his head sneered, he quickly pushed that thought away, Ana wasn't here in Dortmund, Emma was.

***
Ana was still trying to get her head around her Job offer, it was such a massive step, she wasn't sure if she was ready for it. Ever since Robert's death, Ana had felt her life in New York wasn't the same, It had all been lies, so maybe it was time for a change. Pulling her phone out, she needed someone to talk to, she quickly scrolled down to Marco's Number and pressed called, it would be Evening in Dortmund so he should still be awake. It rang a few times, before someone answered It Clearly wasn't Marco.

" Hello" a girl said.

Ana stayed silent, no words would come out. She knew that Marco could see who ever he wanted, but hearing another girl answer his phone annoyed her.

" Hello" the girl said again.

Instead of answering, Ana hung up and placed her phone back into her bag. Marco wasn't hers, he had every right to date who ever he wanted, she told herself. It was useless as the voice at the back of her head kept sneering at her, that she hung up because she was jealous. Ana shook her head at the thought, she couldn't be Jealous, she didn't see Marco that way. Ana was in complete denial, she was a lot more attached to Marco than she would ever care to admit.