We're a Classic Case of Teenage Romance...

Outside it starts to pour...

About 5 hours later, Dan awoke to find that heavy raindrops were pummeling his bedroom window.

But it wasn't the sound of rain that woke him up, it was his mom.

"You haven't eaten all day, is something wrong?" She asked as she made her way inside.

Dan sat up, and looked at his mother.

Dan wanted nothing more than to crawl onto her lap and just hug her while he had a good cry. He wanted to smell that familiar scent of vanilla on her, just like when he was a kid and things were alright. But he couldn't do that. He couldn't tell her that he was beyond fucked up, beyond the ability of being repaired. He couldn't tell her about the scars on his arms, or the nightmares that haunted his sleep.

His mom was sitting on the edge of his bed now, close enough that if he really wanted, he could crawl into her arms right now. But he looked away, trying to hide his despair from his own mother.

"I'm fine," Dan lied.

His mother laughed softly, "And I'm just supposed to believe you?"

"Ideally," Dan mumbled.

"Sweetie, you've been asleep all day. And if I'm not mistaken you sort of sobbed yourself to sleep last night."

Crap.

"I also heard you yell Reagan's name last night. Which means you saw her. Is she why you're sad?"

"I'm not sad," Dan continued to lie.

She sighed, not an angry or frustrated sigh, but one that conveyed nothing but worry and sadness, "I get that you don't want to talk about your love life with your mum, but I really wish you would. And if not me, then Phil."

"Mum, I'm not sad," he repeated.

His mother remained silent, deciding whether to tell him the latest news on Reagan, or whether to keep it to herself.

"I might as well tell you this before you hear it from someone else," She starts, "it's about Reagan."

"Let me guess, she's dating Chris?" Dan muttered through gritted teeth.

"Chris? No she's not dating Chris. She hasn't dated anyone after you, silly boy."

No one? Not one person?

"Then what is it?"

"She's going back to the States."

Dan's entire body froze. "What, why?"

"I assume it's because she's tired of her asshole father."

"But why?" Dan couldn't help but ask.

"Well, I figure it's because she has nothing here to hold her back. Her entire family is over in the States. The only thing here is him."

"What about me?" Dan didn't mean for that to be said out loud.

His mother took in a deep breath, deciding not to ask what he meant, instead she ignored his comment, and got up. "I'm going to go and make you something to eat."

And with that she was gone.

So Reagan was going back to the States.

Dan groaned loudly, grabbing a pillow to muffle it, but deciding to throw it across the room instead.

Wasn't this just fucking dandy!?

*******

Dan ate the sandwich his mother had made him in the dark, listening to the sound of the raindrops hitting his window.

He began to wonder when the rain would stop...hopefully soon.

Dan decided then to pop out his laptop and spend his time on the internet, wondering if he could live off of
his mum's sandwiches and kitten videos forever.

Before he could entertain the idea any further, there was that pesky light spilling into his room again.

He looked up, having an almost perfect view into Reagan's room.

Why was she up this late? Where had she been?

Dan shook the thoughts clear out of his head. He needed to stop thinking about her. But he couldn’t.

Dan watched as she looked through her closet, picking out pajama bottoms that were covered with Spongebob’s face, and an oversized Fall Out Boy jumper that had once belonged to Dan.

She stared at the sweater for a moment before tossing it on the floor and grabbing an old t-shirt instead.

Dan watched her, watched as she undressed.

He wished that he could look away, he so desperately needed to look away. But he couldn't.

So he watched. His eyes glued on her legs. He watched as her jeans moved ever so slowly down her milky white legs. Her now exposed legs sending shivers through Dan's body as he remembered the last time those legs were wrapped around him.

Before putting on the pajama bottoms, she tied her long black hair up into a ponytail. Dan wondered if her hair still smelled like strawberries.

Just like it had that day...

She put the bottoms on. She was now taking off the black Harry Potter t-shirt she had on and soon replaced it with the t-shirt she had grabbed.

She rubbed her eyes. She was tired.

But as she kept rubbing and rubbing, and soon began wiping at her entire face, Dan came to the realization that she was crying.

He watched as she picked up the Fall Out Boy sweater, and stared at it.

Did she remember?

Did she remember the reason why it was now in her closet, and no longer in Dan's?

Did she remember that the last time Dan had worn it, it had ended up all the way across the floor of her bedroom? Did she remember that it was her who threw it?

Dan did. Dan remembered every second of that day.