Fallen Defense

The Power of a Heavenly Curse

Leo wakes in the middle of the night with a burning sensation coursing through his body stemming from the mark on his neck. He falls off bed screaming in pain. Across the hall, the noise causes Evelyn to stir from her slumber. She groans and throws blanket off herself. She makes way across hall and opens his door.

"What the..." She cuts off seeing him lying there. Sweat rolls down his bare skin and his eyes are clenched tight. "Are you OK human?"

"First, call me by my name." Voice comes out in short gasps. "Second, this is the downside of being chosen by God. His holy wrath. If I try to overuse my powers, the mark causes me extreme pain." He pushes himself up on his hands. Evelyn smirks.

"Aw, is the little lapdog being punished? Keep it down oh mighty one. Some of us need sleep." She turns to stride out of room.

"I'll have you know, I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone, not even you. The big man himself put this on me." He pulls himself to feet and slams door in her face. She shrugs and returns to own room. Her clothes fall to floor and she slides in between her silk sheets.

The next morning, Leo wakes and makes way to bathroom still half asleep. He cuts on the water and pulls shirt off over his head. Outside there is a loud screeching noise for a brief second, then it stops. He shrugs and starts to undo his pants. The noise comes louder this time. In her room, Evelyn pulls blanket over her head trying to block it out. She sighs giving up when it gets louder. Stands and looks out window wearing nothing but her bra and panties. Leo yanks shirt back on and runs out of room grabbing sword as he does. He kicks Evelyn's door open and jumps out window. Her eyes narrow as she struggles to wrap blanket around her body.

"What the hell?!"

"Don't worry! I didn't see much!' He smirks and lands quickly drawing the blade.

"Why my window though?!"

"Shortest route!"

"Idiot..." She scurries around pulling on her gear and follows him out window.

"Looks like the class S found us!" He motions to the creature standing fifty yards away. It stands two stories high and its skin is a crimson red. Several tentacle like appendages erupt from its back and wave around in the air in a frenzy. Each one is lined with barbs of various sizes. The demon has no face, only two holes on the side of its neck used for hearing and smelling and a fanged mouth on its stomach. "Look at that beauty!" Leo snickers. The demon hunches forward on all four slime covered limbs and aims its tentacles at the pair. It lets out a hideous screech that cracks the windows behind them.

"Let's deal with this quickly." Evelyn draws her swords and prepares to charge.

"Not so fast." He places hand on her shoulder. "We need brains to beat this. Not brawn. I can't afford for you to be killed. We need you to win this war."

"Who says I'll be killed?"

"This is a class S we're talking about. It would make a meal out of even the most valiant warriors. We need to come up with a plan."

"We don't have time for that."

"There's always time."

"Fine, you think of one. I'll keep it entertained." She opens wings and flies off towards the demon with swords out by her sides. Flies around it just out of reach.

"Evelyn! No! Watch out!" The words escape his lips just one of the tentacles whips around and slams her into the wall of a nearby building. She slides down wall and slumps to side.

"Bastard!" He throws down sword and mark on his neck begins to glow brightly. He begins running at the demon with inhuman speed. The mark glows brighter as he rams his fist right through its stomach. Evelyn raises head weakly. Her vision is blurred and fades in and out occasionally. She braces against the wall and pushes self up.

"Leo..." Her vision clears and she sees him attacking the monster unarmed. "Damn! Leo! Catch!!" She hurls one of her swords to him. He catches it by the hilt and white light explodes from it. He turns back to her and raises sword. In one swift motion, he cleaves the demon in half. It lets out a soft whimper before exploding in a ball of flames.

The sword falls from Leo's hand as he drops to knees. Evelyn walks over. He holds out hand to keep her back as he begins to throw up blood. His arms begin to tremble and he blacks out. Evelyn stands calling for help. Leo's men rush outside and pick him up.

"Take him to the infirmary..." Evelyn looks at the burning corpse. "A class S... he may be more powerful than I thought.." Turns attention to wall where the monster threw her. "He saved me." Smiles softly to self. "I guess we're even now."