Fallen Defense

The Repaid Life Debt

Evelyn paces outside the infirmary. After hours of healing runes and spells, the doctors emerge and disappear down the corridor. Evelyn clings to the shadows and slides in before the door clicks closed and locks. Spots Leo lying on bed and strides over to him. He looks at her slightly surprised and amused at the same time.

"Well, hello. How did you get in here little pixie?"

"I know a few tricks to get past the guards." She sits on his bed. "What were you thinking? You're insane!"

"This may be true. But it had to be done. Also, I wasn't talking about the angels posted outside my door." Two daggers cross over each other at the base of her throat. "I meant my guards. Don't worry boys, she's ok." The young boy, Alex, and a red-headed man named Robert nod and step back removing the blades. Evelyn looks down at Leo smirking. The two leave room. Leo sits up. The blanket falls away revealing his bare, and now scar lined, chest. "Not that the company of a beautiful angel like yourself isn't welcome, but why are you here? You hate humans after all."

"You saved my life..." She looks away and voice trails off. "Without you... that demon would have ripped my throat out."

"It did look hungry. Probably thought you would make a nice snack." He snickers and runs hand over his neck.

"I guess this means we're even now."

"Seems that way." He reaches for shirt draped around bedpost.

"Do you remember that night?"

"How could I forget?"

"It was fourteen years ago."

~*~
Rain pours down heavily over the empty meadow. A nine-year-old Evelyn sits on one of the hills. Tears stream from her soft violet eyes. She wipes them away gritting teeth. So what if she is still the lowest rank in her class? She'll prove to them all one day just how powerful she can be. Cedric hasn't given up on her yet, why should she? She stands preparing to return the academy when a cry for help splits the air. She whips around grabbing her katana from the wet grass. Her delicate ebony wings erupt from her back and she allows a small whimper of pain to escape before lifting up into the air.

The boy stands in the middle of a group of circling fox demons. They lunge and snap the air in front of him. Evelyn narrows her eyes. She knows this game. They taunt their prey and scare it right before they dive in for the kill. The boy looks around frantically. He appears to be not much older than her. Two years at the most. A lone silver dagger falls from his trembling hand. He spots her and his eyes grow wide. She is beside him in a flash. She lets out a small yell and swings blade around. The head of one of the demons rolls a few feet away.

Another of the demons leaps at the kids baring its fangs. Evelyn raises blade in air and it glides right through the beast, slicing it perfectly in half. The third looks at its fallen brethren before turning and fleeing from the scene. Evelyn sheathes katana and turns to look at the boy. He's staring at her in stunned silence. She bows to him before opening wings and disappearing into the night sky.
~*~

Evelyn looks at Leo as he stands and buttons shirt closed. He starts walking for door and she follows. He opens door for her and a small smile plays on her lips. She shakes head erasing it. He bows allowing her to pass. In the hallway, she offers a small waves before heading off towards training room. He turns and begins to climb the stairs towards his room.

"Have a good night." He calls over shoulder and disappears into the dimly lit hallway above her. A door opens and a hand grabs her wrist and drags her into Cedric's office. Cedric is sitting behind the desk looking cross.

"Evelyn. Please, have a seat." He motions to chair across from his. She nervously sits down.

"Yes General?"

"It seems you have failed in the battle today. I heard the human handled the creature all on his own. Is this correct?" She remains silent. He continues. "I see. In that case, you will have to attend remediation courses."

"But General! Those are for the new recruits! I am so much higher than that!"

"Maybe you should act so then! You are dismissed!"

"I don't work under you anymore though!"

"But you still reside in my academy! You are still my foster child! You will do as I say!"

"Yes General..." She hangs her head and turns to leave room. Leo is standing in doorway with arms crossed. Evelyn gasps in surprise.

"You know Cedric, I distinctly remember telling you to ease up on her and leave her alone. She belongs to me now. You have no authority over her." His sword slides out of sheathe. "I did give you warning. You chose to ignore me. You have to be punished now." Leo dashes over and grabs Cedric's wings. In one fluid motion, he frees them from the man's back. His sword drips blood onto the hardwood floor. He then turns and leaves room without another word. Evelyn follows him out in hallway. He keeps back to her. "You need to go to bed now Evelyn." She nods and scurries away to her room.

Hours later, Leo looks down at the report and sighs. He combs fingers back through hair. Swears under breath and shakes head. Slides report to side and stands. Walks across hall to Evelyn's door. Holds hand up to knock. Sighs and puts hand down. He turns and returns to his desk. He stares at his wall blankly until the first rays of light cast shadows along it.