Fallen Defense

Evelyn's Change of Heart

Evelyn wakes in the morning to a soft knock on her door. She looks over and sees a blue piece of notebook paper lying on the floor. The covers hit the wall as she hurries over to pick it up. In a very elegant print, it reads, "Outside. Five minutes. L". She tilts head but quickly pulls on a t-shirt and a pair of jeans. Ties her hair up in a messy bun and makes way down the staircase and out the front door. She nearly collides with Leo standing on the front steps.

"Good morning sleeping beauty."

"Uh, hi. You wanted to see me?" Sarcasim lines her voice.

"I have a job for you today. I cannot make it. I have other business to attend to. I am sending Alex, Robert, and two of your angel friends with you. Five men should be enough."

"And what exactly is this job?"

"It seems a class C has decided to rear its ugly head. Handle it quickly."

"You're sending Alex? He's only seven!"

"And quite the fine troop. Do not underestimate him. He has a remarkable foster father after all." A small smirk plays on his lips. Evelyn tilts head. "He's just as strong as those much older than him."

"Fine, get them ready. This will be over quickly."

A few hours later, Evelyn looks over the small group and nods satisfied. They salute her and fall in formation. Her eyes rest on the young human boy and cloud with concern. She quickly shakes it away. Maybe Leo is right, she should have more faith in the boy. Even if he is a frail little human. Taking the lead of the party, she gives the command to move out. It doesn't take long to find the demon. Long pointy fangs, and short stubby horns. It looks like an overgrown imp. She draws blade from its sheathe and twirls it.

"Ready boys?" The group nods. She takes a step forward. Suddenly the demon vanishes. "Damn... It's fast. Watch out for-" Her voice trails off just as the creature reappears behind the boy and drives a poison soaked barb right through his chest. "Alex!" The demon lets out an amused hiss before springing four feet away. It pulls out another barb taunting her. She looks down at Alex. He's trying to mask his pain, but tears still stream from his emerald green eyes. Evelyn feels her heart breaking. She doesn't even notice her wings spring open as she scoops the boy up. "Robert... take care of this..."

"Yes General!" The man charges at the demon as she kicks off ground and speeds back to academy. Leo hears the sound of wings and rushes outside. His eyes get wide as she lands.

"Alex..."

"It was too fast...we need to get him help..."

"Bring him to my room."

"But..."

"Just do it!" She nods and runs inside and takes the stairs two at a time. Leo follows close behind and opens door. "Put him on the bed." Alex whimpers softly as Evelyn puts him down on the brown covers. Blood covers the front of her shirt. Tears fill her eyes as she looks down at the boy. Leo digs in a drawer and pulls out a glowing white blade.

"That's..."

"I know."

"But how?"

"I'll tell you later." He takes the glowing seraph blade and begins to carefully remove the barb.
"It was covered in a purple fluid. Most likely venom." Leo nods and casts barb aside.
"Hold on Alex... This is going to hurt." He drives the blade into the wound and it glows brighter. Alex gasps in pain before going still. Evelyn takes a step towards him and Leo holds her back removing the blade. "Just wait." The wound slowly begins to close and the boy's chest slowly begins to rise and fall. His eyes flutter open weakly.

"D-dad?" Leo sighs in relief and pulls the boy to his chest.

"Wait... did he call you dad?"

"Remember how I mentioned Alex's foster dad? Well... I was talking about myself. It's a story I will have to tell you at a later time." He pets Alex's hair and lies him back on bed. "Rest now. You're going to be OK. Evelyn, may I talk to you in the hallway?" She nods and leaves room. He follows her. "You saved his life."

"You saved his life. I nearly got him killed."

"Without you, he would have died. While I'm grateful, I've been told you're not one to flee from a battle. Especially not to save the life of a human."

"Things change. As do the people living them." She turns to walk away.

"Evelyn?"

"Yes Leo?" She turns to face him.

"I would like for you to have dinner with me tonight." He hands her a slip of paper with a series of codes written on it. "There's a door behind the tapestry in the training room. Enter one of these codes to open it." She looks down at the paper then back up at him. Nods slightly and a smile spreads across his face. "Great. See you at nine." He steps back into his room and closes door behind him. Evelyn looks down at the paper a moment longer before turning on her heel and dashing downstairs and out the front door. Robert is leaning against the railing smoking a cigar. Thick smoke trails up from the end. At his feet rests a bag still dripping slimy black blood. He smirks taking a drag.