Fallen Defense

First Date

Evelyn sits in front of her mirror brushing hair. She hears a noise and turns to see a black file slide under her door. Sighing, she walks over and picks it up. Her eyes quickly scan down the page and she rolls them. Throws file on dresser and lets her robe fall to floor. Water still clings to her bare skin. Looks through closet before deciding on a sapphire blue, strapless gown. Pulls it on and zips it up. Opens small box on her vanity and smiles at the silver necklace inside. The diamond studded crest of the academy hangs delicately from the chain as she puts it around her neck. Steps into her black pumps just as a soft knock comes on her door.

"Just a minute!" Ties hair in a bun and grabs file from dresser. Opens door and eyes widen is surprise. Leo is standing there in a black suit. A tie, the same shade of his eyes, rests neatly on his chest. His hair is combed back and tied at the base of his neck. He holds a single red rose in his hand. "Wow, you clean up nicely."

"So do you. You look... absolutely stunning." His eyes travel from her hair all the way down to her toes and back up. He holds out rose and a deep blush spreads across her cheeks. "Ready?" She nods and takes his arm. He leads her downstairs and to the training room. She moves aside tapestry and looks at him. He nods and a keypad appears. She quickly keys in one of the codes. The wall begins to tremble and part. It doesn't take long for the doorway to become visible. He turns handle and holds the door open for her. She blushes more and steps inside. "Welcome to my secret room."

"This... how did you manage to do this?"

"God's will be done." He walks over to the table and pulls out chair for her. She takes a minute to look around room. The walls are a deep blue and the floor is black tile. In the center is the table covered in a white table cloth with two candles burning in the middle. Two wine glasses rest by the candles. A tray sits beside the table with two covered plates. She smiles and takes her seat.

"Not bad. But you're not God remember? Only a servant." She smirks and lays file on table. He shrugs and takes his seat. "I need you to look over this."

"What is it?" He picks up file and starts thumbing through pages.

"It turns out there's a legion of flame-burst demons gathering. Not very intelligent, but powerful in numbers."

"Location?"

"Surprisingly, near a river."

"Idiots." He laughs and puts file to side. "I'm sure you can handle that. Make the plans and give them to Joesph. Enough about work. I want to get to know you better."
"What do you want to know about me?"

"Everything."

"Well, you already know quite a bit."

"I know what the file tells me."

"Fine. My name is Evelyn Marie Briarwood. I was abandoned by my parents at the age of three. I was admitted into the academy at the age of eight and have been trained as a soldier ever since then." Leo nods and sits the plates in front of them. Steam rolls off the heaps of pasta. Evelyn smiles breathing in the scent. "Amazing."

"I made it myself."

"You're just a man of many talents aren't you?"

"Of course." Leo smiles and begins eating. Evelyn blushes and keeps stealing glances at him. "You don't have to do that you know. This is a date, you can just look at me." She blushes more and locks eyes with him. He smiles widely. "Your file leaves out so much about you. I want to learn more."

"You've read my file?"

"Yes. Haven't you read mine?"

"I'm not authorized."

"You mean you weren't. I'll get it for you if you would like. You are my second in command. There should be no secrets between us." Evelyn smiles and nods. "You should smile more. It really makes your eyes sparkle. I like it."

The two spend a few hours lost in conversation. It's only when the clock on the other side of the room chimes at midnight do they realize how late it is. Evelyn frowns slightly and stands from table. Leo stands as well and holds out his arm to her. He escorts her back to her room and stops outside.

"This was a great night. Thank you very much for accompanying me Ms. Evelyn."

"Thank you for taking me." She smiles and looks at him. "Sleep well."

"You too." He leans down and places a very gentle kiss on her cheek before turning and walking to his room. The door falls closed behind him. Her cheeks turn a deep shade of crimson before she slips into her room.