Fallen Defense

A Father's Gift

The following morning. Leo walks across hall and finds Evelyn's door slightly open. He knocks three times before pushing it open. She is sitting in front of her vanity brushing out her long black hair. She smiles at him in mirror. He returns he smile and sits on her bed. A pistols rests on each of his hips. One is black and one is white. Evelyn turns around to face him. She notices he's dressed in his full gear. All the way from his black trench-coat down to his mud covered boots.

"You're going out this early?" She looks down noticing she is still wearing just her short, silk nightgown. She catches his eyes momentarily drift down her long legs before snapping back up to her own. She looks down at the pistols. "It must be serious, I've never seen those before."

"Just going to handle the flame-bursts. I was going to ask if you would like to join, but I can see you're not ready."

"I thought Joesph was handling them?"

"I was tagging along for fun. It gets boring around here."

"I suppose." She watches as he pulls the pistols out.

"These are for special occasions. This one," He holds up the white pistol "is Dorthy. And this one," he holds up the black one "is Roth." Evelyn smirks and turns back to mirror. She resumes brushing hair.

"I have a weapon I never use. I keep it in my closet."

"Really? May I see?" She stands and pushes doors open. Pulls out a long black box and lays it on floor. Leo tilts his head. She reaches in and slides the whip out. It is three feet long made of solid steel. Sharp, pointed blades stick out every few inches. Leo looks impressed. "How come you never use it?"

"It's not mine."

"Who's is it then?"

"My father's...." She bites lip and looks away. "It came on my fourteenth birthday. It's the only gift I've ever received from him. It had a note with it. But, all it said was 'This was my first that I ever made. I hope it serves you well. Dad.' That's it."

"He sent it to you. You should use it."

"I don't know how."

"I'll show you." He stands and walks over to her. She looks up at him. He is taller than her by several inches. She never noticed until now. She shakes head trying to erase the thought. It doesn't matter. "I can show you, or I can just implant the information in your mind."

"I prefer to do thinks physically."

"I bet you do." He smirks and starts walking towards door. "Joe can handle things today. Come on. I have just the place to practice.

"I don't really want anything to do with it. They abandoned me. A weapon does not make up for that."

"Come on Eve, it's a magnificent thing. At least try it."

"Fine..." She wraps it up and stalks out door. He laughs and follows her. He leads her downstairs and down a long hallway. Stops in front of a door and enters a code. The door opens to a wide training room. He gets to work setting up practice dummies. He steps back admiring his work. The dummies are set up in a formation the demons usually take.

"I knew you would need this room eventually. I had it made just for you."

"You never cease to amaze me."

"It's my specialty. Now let me show you." He stands behind her and runs hand down her arm and puts it over her own. "Very slowly, pull it back," Pulls her hand back "then snap!" His hand moves hers forward with a snap. She blushes feeling his breath on her neck. Watches as the whip takes the head off one of the dummies. "Very nice. Now you try on your own." He steps back to a safe distance and nods for her to go.

"Um... OK." She sighs and raises whip. Pulls it back and snaps it forward. It misses completely.

"Focus! Don't put anger into it! Just full control!" She nods and lashes out again. One of the blades stabs a dummy right where the heart should be. He nods his approval. "Let me show you something." He takes whip and gets in a ready stance. "Take position and..." He swings diagonally to the upper right the jerks it hard to the left. The whip moves like a snake in the air. He spin in a circle and the whip swirls around him cutting open several dummies. He finishes by pulling whip to ground hard, cleaving one of the targets in half. "That's called the man killer." He hands it back to her. "Here you try."

"I don't think..."

"You can." She sighs and takes stance. Jerks whip into air attempting to copy him. The whip comes flying back towards her. She jumps out of way, but two of the blades still catch her. One on her arm, and one on her face. She gasps in pain and sees the blood well up. Leo walks over and pulls off his shirt. Tears a strip off and ties it around her arm. "You have to be careful." He tears off another strip and begins to dab at cut across her cheek. She looks up at him.

"I want to try again."

"That's the spirit." He steps away and she picks the whip back up. She closes eyes and focuses. Her body begins to move. She executes the move perfectly. He cheers behind her. "There you go! That was even better than me!" She opens eyes seeing the heads of dummies littering the floor. She smiles slightly. He comes up and pats her on back. "I knew you could do it." She smiles more and throws her arms around him. The whip falls from her hand and his arms circle around her waist. The moment is over as soon as it begins. She steps back away from him and mutters and apology.

"Why are you sorry? You did it so perfectly."

"I meant the hug, not the attack." She bends down to pick up gear.

"So did I." He grabs her wrist and pulls her back him. Bends her back kissing deeply. Her body goes limp pressed against his. His fingers twine in her hair and he smiles feeling her returning the kiss. After a minute, he breaks away. She looks at him breathless. "Sorry about that."

"D-don't be." She looks down blushing hard.

"I think that's enough training for today. You should get some rest." She nods and picks up gear from floor. He holds out his hand and she takes it. He walks back to her room. "Sweet dreams. I'm going to check on my son then I will be joining Joe. I might not be back until tomorrow."

"Oh, well be careful..."

"Always. Have a good day Evelyn.

"You too Leo..." She turns and starts unlocking her door. He spins her around and pulls her back against him. His lips find hers once again in a fiery embrace. Her arms slide around his neck and pulls him closer. They fall back against the wall. He smirks and pulls away.

"See you soon."

"Bye..." She tries to catch breath as she watches him walk away.