Our New Beginning

one/one

It was only the beginning of December. He was frustrated, I knew it, he knew it, hell the whole town of Pittsburgh knew it. However, I didn’t know how to fix it. This time, I didn’t have the answer, and with it being close to the holidays he was on edge. We weren’t seeing our families for Christmas, due to traveling arrangements and his schedule. We have seen his parents every year since we have been together. Ten years later, and his parents still don’t like the idea that we are married. It wasn’t because I was a whore, and out for his money, I wasn’t. I had a job before I met him and continued to have one as of now. It was the mere thought of him marrying someone who wasn’t like him.

He was counted on by the whole city, and he was in a slump. It didn’t help that half his team was down with injuries.

“Come on, babe we are going out. You need to get out of the house.” I took his controller, and shut off the game.

“I not want to Addie.” He said in his broken English.

“Evgeni, I love you, but I can’t sit here and watch you have a pity party. Everyone goes through them. Remember when I first met your parents? I was in a slump, but you made me get out of the house.”

It was true. I knew his parents wouldn’t like me, but Geno kept insisting they would like me. Truth was, they didn’t like me then because I wasn’t Russian and they still don’t like me now. Honestly, I was happy with Geno and being Mrs. Addison Malkin, and that is all that mattered. He has tried to get me to quit my job but I won’t. My husband insists he makes enough to support us and any kids we have, which is the truth but I refuse to be one of THOSE WAGS.

“You have to. I told Kris and Catherine we would babysit Alex. We have to leave in five minutes.” I went to get my shoes on. He was lucky that I couldn’t make him get up.

I ended up driving to Primant’s. “Addison, this not Tanger’s.” He said confused.

“I know. I lied. We don’t have to babysit Alex. I needed to get you out of the house and I have a
whole night planned. Trust me, by the end of tonight you’ll forget.” I bit my lip.

“Alright.” He nodded. I was glad I avoided a fight.

We ate our sandwiches at Primanti’s, and walked downtown. It was absolutely gorgeous at night. All of the buildings were lit up, especially around Consol. After we star-gazed, we went back to our house. It was a cold winter night, and we both loved hot chocolate. I made us peppermint hot chocolate, with peppermint sticks that looked like candy canes. Our random hot chocolate nights had become sort of a tradition for us. But I’ll get into that later. It was nearing Christmas but I couldn’t wait to give him his present. Sitting on our couch, I sat my hot chocolate mug down.

“Evgeni, I know it’s not Christmas yet, and I have other things for you on Christmas, but I need to give you one of your gifts now.” He looked at me confused.

“How would you feel about becoming a dad?” I asked him. I had no idea how to lead into this conversation.

“I love. But-“ I cut him off.

I was well aware that it was unlikely I would be able to have kids but would be possible. I didn’t need him to remind me.

“I know- But I did get a call from the agency we can adopt a baby and or child. We would have a child or children by Christmas.” I smiled.

Evgeni was so happy. He picked me up off the couch and swung me around. “I love you Addison.” Geno kissed me.

“We need to talk about this. Do we want to start off with a baby, or a child?” I sat back on the couch and sipped my hot chocolate which was now cold, but what did I care. I was so happy to finally become a mom. It didn’t matter that we weren’t blood, I was going to love this child.

“Both.”

We had talked about adopting after I kept losing our pregnancies. I knew we were in over our heads but we both wanted a family, and what better time then Christmas. I promised him we would go the next day. After our conversation about kids, we snuggled on the couch, cherishing what could be our last night as just the two of us. I couldn’t wait for our new beginning to start with our little family.