Hope Is a Waking Dream

Chapter 15

Chapter 15
The ride back to the cabin was less stressful for Daryl than the ride into the woods. Melissa was holding him tightly, but instead of a raging, concentration busting hard-on, he felt calm and relaxed. He’d never felt that, especially around other people. He’d never been that honest with anyone, not about feelings anyway. As often as he’d told Merle to fuck off and leave him be, both of them knew he didn’t really mean it. Maybe Melissa was right. Maybe he was better with words than he thought. She hadn’t yelled or hit him when he’d told her how he felt. Maybe he was worthy of this after all?
Melissa kept her arms tight around Daryl’s waist and her forehead on his shoulder blade. They were riding into the wind this time and the coldness was effecting her. She wasn’t giggling on this trip. She had a sly smile on her hidden face. Daryl’s words repeated on a loop in her head. She could still feel the weight of his body over hers and the roughness of his chapped lips on her skin. The trip back to the cabin was shorter than she would have liked, but she knew she would be back on that bike soon.
They arrived just in time to help load up the truck. Melissa took the saddle bag containing the sticks she had collected and took them inside. Rick’s eyes went wide as saucers when he saw the large bag overflowing. “Wow Daryl. Those bolts should last a long time. Ya did a good job finding all those. Maybe you could get even more before we move on.”
“Maybe, but I weren’t the one who found ‘em. It was all her,” he said and nodded in the direction of the door where Melissa was walking out.
“Well,” Rick said, smiling, “ain’t that something.” He glanced over at the hunter and saw the smile on his face as well. “I think when we found this place, we found more than just shelter. I think we got pretty lucky all the way around.” Daryl couldn’t keep his eyes off her as she came down the steps and made her way toward them.
“Mmmmm,” he agreed. “She’s pretty amazing,” Daryl admitted quietly. “I think she should go with us tomorrow. She can ride on the bike with me.”
“Of course, she’s going Daryl. Can’t imagine doing anything without her, can ya?” Daryl walked over to the truck and rearranged a few items. “Don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.” Rick helped him put more items in the bed.
“You seem pretty relaxed. Something happen out there? Ya don’t seem as stressed out as ya did yesterday when we talked.” Daryl stopped what he was doing and looked his friend and leader in the eye.
“We didn’t fuck if that’s your meaning. We just talked about stuff. I think she likes me. I just don’t want to take advantage. She ain’t never done nothing like this, and I ain’t either, really. Don’t know how to care about somebody the right way. We’re gonna go slow, see what happens.”
“Don’t go too slow. You may miss out on something great. Nowadays we’re not promised out next breath. You’ve got good instincts, you can read people, so can she. Ya’ll be just fine.” Just then Melissa walked up to them.
“What’s left? What can I do?”
“Nothing,” Rick answered. “Think we got everything, unless there’s something ya’ll want to bring along.”
“Ya’ll?” she asked. “Am I invited?”
Daryl cleared his throat. “’Course ya are. Wouldn’t be making this trip ‘cept for you. ‘Sides, I’ll let ya ride on the bike again.” Rick just slapped him on the shoulder and walked over to Hershel and Beth, leaving the two of them alone.
“You don’t have to carry me on that bike all the time. I’s just kidding about that.”
“Well, I wasn’t,” he replied. “It’s been years since I had somebody on the back of that thing. Feels nice.”
“Yeah, it felt nice being on it. Never felt free like that before. I could get addicted to that.”
He smiled at the thought of her being addicted to holding him. “You’re welcome to ride with me anytime. Let’s go inside. I’ll show ya how to make a bolt.” They went inside together, and sat by the fire. Daryl showed her how to shave it down, straighten it and get the knots out, then they sharpened the end. They only got through a handful before Carol brought them each a plate and a bottle of water. “I thought you two might be too busy to stop for dinner.” They each gave their thanks and dove into the meal. They didn’t say much, devouring the savory rabbit and canned vegetables because they had barely eaten all day. Melissa did ask questions though. Mostly about hunting and tracking, she had taught herself when she had begun living in the woods and although she could provide for herself, she knew Daryl could teach her a few things. Daryl admired her interest and apparent awe of his abilities, it made him feel god about himself. It gave him a sense of self confidence. He was beginning to notice that he was having that feeling more often now since he met her. Carol and Rick were trying hard, but it seemed that Melissa didn’t have to. He didn’t realize that he smiled whenever she was in close proximity to him. He smiled when she spoke and he smiled when he looked at her. The rest of the group noticed though.
When their plates were clean, they took them to the kitchen and washed them off in the bucket of water Carol had placed there for that purpose. “Do you want to make more bolts, or do you have watch soon?” she asked him.
“I’d love to make a few more bolts if we got the time, but I don’t know who’s got first watch tonight. Let me go talk to Rick real quick, I’ll be back.” She dried off the dishes as he went to find Rick, and hummed to herself unknowingly.
“Do ya need some help?” Melissa jumped about a foot into the air when Beth snuck up on her.
“Good Lord girl! You scared the shit outta me.”
“Sorry, I thought I was being loud enough. Didn’t want to sneak up on ya,” Beth said apologetically.
“No worries sweetheart. I was off in my own world, it was my fault for being distracted. What did ya want hon?”
“Just wanted to know if I could help. I can bring in the rest of the dishes and we can have ‘em done in no time.”
“Sounds good. Daryl went to find Rick. I’m sure he’ll be gone for a bit, should give us time to get it done.”
“I think he likes you,” Beth said bluntly. “I’ve never seen him this agreeable or nice. He actually uses words instead of just grunts and nods. Ya’ll been spending a lot of time together too. I’m real happy for ya. It’s nice to see him smile. I think you like him too, don’t ya?” she said with a sly smile.
Melissa sighed. “I think I might, but let’s not tell him that just yet. I don’t want him to think he can use that against me.”
Beth’s eyes grew wide. “He would never do that! He would never hurt you, or anybody! He may be a little standoffish, quiet, shy, and surly at times, but he’s a real good man. He’s saved us all at one time or another, me especially. I ain’t no good with knives or guns, can’t defend myself for shit . . . sorry. I’m just a kid to them, but Daryl keeps me safe, keeps his eyes out for me. He’s like my big brother. I lost mine, but he’s just as good to me as Shawn was.”
Melissa considered all Beth said. She knew it was all true. She finally knew what kind of man Daryl Dixon was . . . is. He is a man she can trust, with her life and her heat, but that didn’t quell her fear of being hurt, not completely anyway. “I know Beth. He is a good man. I know it, I believe it. You’re right about everything, but I’m still scared of getting hurt. Nothing will ever change that, not matter how we might feel about each other. It’s hard to let that fear go.” Just then, the front door opened and closed and Daryl walked into the kitchen.
“Am I interrupting something?” he asked looking at the ground.
“Uh, I’m gonna go grab those plates, be right back.” Beth said and darted to the door. Daryl took a few steps toward Melissa until he was inches away from her. She backed up to the kitchen counter and he put his hand on either side of her body, resting on the counter.
“Rick wants me to take first watch with him tonight. We’ll go out in a few, only be a couple of hours. Maggie and Glenn, Herschel and Carl are gonna take their turns after.” He leaned into her. “You got the night off. I want ya to try and get some good sleep tonight, gonna be a long couple of days.” He paused, looking at her lips. “Can I stay with ya tonight?” he asked hesitantly.
“Yes. I was hoping you would want to.”
“I do, more than anything.” He closed the small gap between them and touched his lips to hers softly. The banging of the door startled them both and he jumped back, immediately missing the sweetness of her lips. Beth bounded into the kitchen, her arms full of dishes.
“Oops, sorry. I thought you’d already gone on watch.”
“Yeah,” he said, a touch of sadness in his voice. “I’m on my way now.” Before he left the kitchen, he turned to Beth. “Make sure she gets to bed, she’s gonna need her rest.”
“Yes sir, Mr. Dixon! I’m on it.” She saluted him for added effect.
“Don’t be a smartass Beth. I’ll tell your daddy,” he joked.
She and Melissa washed the dishes in silence. Beth knew how alike those two were and she didn’t want to make their host feel uncomfortable or risk her shutting down, so she didn’t ask about what had happened while she was gone. When they were finished, Melissa said she was going to clean up the bolt mess and go to bed. This whole day had made her giddy with happiness and excitement, and now she was exhausted. She took the new bolts and the soon-to-be into the bedroom. She took off her boots and jeans and climbed into bed. She extinguished the bedside candle and was soon asleep. She didn’t wake up when Daryl came into the room two hours later. He crept as quietly as he could around the room trying not to wake the beautiful woman whose bed he would be sharing. He took off his boots and vest and crawled under the blankets with her. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her back against his chest as tightly as he could. He felt her bare legs and moaned quietly into her neck. He held her even tighter, and whispered into her ear, “I’ll take your fear away, I promise my love.”