Hope Is a Waking Dream

Chapter 20

Chapter 20

They arrived back at the campsite as the stars were coming out. Neither had said a word to the other the whole trip. They left the supplies in the truck and Daryl started a small fire while Melissa grabbed a few cans from their stash, placing them on a grate of sticks that he had made. They were still shaken by his revelation, and he was still ashamed and scared. She was able to alleviate some of his guilt, but not all of it, never all of it. She wanted to sit next to him, she wanted him to put his arms around her and kiss her, but she knew he wouldn’t. She knew he was afraid to. After he finished his dinner, he pulled out the poncho and laid it on the ground. “I’ll take first watch, you get some sleep,” he said gruffly. “Tomorrow, we’ll pull up stakes, head back to the development, and see what we can find,” then he sat down leaning against the massive tree trunk and let the fire die out.

His mind wouldn’t stop running, going over everything she said to him. She didn’t blame him for anything, not for her parent’s deaths or for him being happy about what that meant to him. She hadn’t yelled at him or hit him. She hadn’t walked away from him. She was still here and he was grateful and relieved by that. The dark recesses of his brain kept telling him that she could still leave though. One day she would wake up and realize that he was just a selfish bastard. He told her he loved her and she hadn’t acknowledged it. He barely remembered saying it, but he had. Maybe she didn’t hear him, maybe she didn’t love him back. Maybe she could have loved him once, but he had probably ruined that like he ruined everything else in his life. He didn’t wake her when it was her turn for watch. There was no one in the woods, so he just watched her sleep. She was the most beautiful women he had ever known. She had kindness, compassion and love in her soul. He could see it and feel it. She deserved a better man than him. He wanted so badly to be her everything. He wanted her to love him, want him and need him as much as he loved, wanted and needed her.

When the sun began to rise, he finally moved from his spot beneath the tree. He knelt next to her sleeping form and rubbed his thumb against her cheek softly. When she stirred, he quickly moved away, going over to the bike, taking it from its hiding place to load it onto the truck. She sat up and looked for him. She was sure she felt his touch, but he was too far away. She was hesitant to speak to him, but needed to connect with him in some way. She walked to the truck where he was trying to lift the bike up. “Can I help?” she asked him. He never looked at her when he spoke.

“Sure. I can get the front half up there. Could you get up in there and pull it in so I can lift the back end up?” She nodded and climbed into the bed of the truck. When he lifted the front, she grabbed the handle bars and puled as he lifted the back end up and in. “Can ya hold it up while I go get the rope?” When he came back, he shooed her out of his way and secured the motorcycle.

“How come you didn’t wake me up for watch?” she asked as she observed him.

“Just thought ya needed some sleep. I wasn’t tired anyway.”

“Yeah, but you ain’t gonna last all day if you don’t sleep too. Let me drive and you can take a nap.”

“Don’t need you mothering me,” he said. “I’ll be just fine. I’ll let you know if I need sleep.”

“Do you want something to eat before we leave?” she asked him as he jumped off the tailgate.

“Naw,” he said shifting on his feet, “just grab a box or bag of something and we’ll eat in the truck.” She took a box of Ritz crackers out of one of the bags and watched him roll up the poncho. He used his foot to scatter what was left of their dead fire pit and jumped into the truck. She followed him and he sped off the moment her door was closed.

They had both been keeping an eye out for any movement in the tree line, but had only seen squirrels and walkers go by. When they were about halfway back to the development, Daryl suddenly stopped the truck in the middle of the road. “Gotta take a piss. I suggest you go now if ya gotta.” She did, in fact have to piss, so she got out and stretched her legs a little before following Daryl into the woods. He was leaning next to the passenger’s side door when she came back. When she put her hand on the door to get back in, he stopped her. “Thank you,” he said as he looked down at their hands. “Thank you for what you said yesterday. It’s just gonna take me a while to believe it. Never heard anything like that before. Everything has always been my fault, whether it was or not. It was always me that got the blame . . . the beating.” He put his hands on her hips and pulled her close. “I meant everything I said too.” He leaned down and kissed her lips. She put her arms around his neck to hold him to her. Their lips moved together slowly and when they pulled away from each other, he opened the door for her and she climbed back into the truck.

Daryl slowed down when they were about five miles away from the development. If any of the others had escaped and were injured, they wouldn’t have been able to get too far away. With about two or three miles to go, they saw what remained of the walkers that had been locked in the box truck. There weren’t many left, maybe half a dozen or so. When they got close to the truck, Daryl and Melissa stepped out with their knives drawn. It didn’t take long for the two of them to destroy what was left of the small herd, then they got back into the truck and coasted the rest of the way.

They found the truck that the others had driven exactly where they left it. They stayed in their own truck for a few minutes taking in their surroundings. They didn’t see any other vehicles around at all. The box truck was gone. Daryl took his bow and Melissa took her knives and they cautiously stepped out of the vehicle. They walked to the house that they had found and stayed at before. Nothing had been touched since they had left. The bags that had been left behind were still there, but Rick, Glenn and Maggie were not. “Should we check out the other house? The one where those other people were?” she asked Daryl.

“Yeah, but we gotta be real careful. Just ‘cause that truck ain’t there don’t mean they ain’t’. You stick close to me, I fucking mean it. Doesn’t take five steps away, ya hear? Hell, I’ll give ya a fucking piggy back ya if I have to.”

“That won’t be necessary. I’ll hold your hand the whole time if that will make ya feel better.” She sat on the floor and looked up at him. “So how do we do this?”

“We’re gonna do a check on the outside first. Check for open doors and windows. Maybe we can get a look inside before we do anything. Then we’ll try the front door, I’ll go in first. You don’t move a fucking muscle until I tell you to. When, and if I give the all clear, you follow me in. We check top to bottom. If something happens and it ain’t clear, you run as fast as you fucking can. Try ta make your way back to the cabin, okay?”

“You told me not to leave your sight. I ain’t leaving ya if you’re in trouble,” she told him.

Daryl sat on the floor next to her, “If something happens to me, I don’t want ya to see it. I don’t want to risk the same thing happening to you. Promise me.”

“I promise.” She didn’t really want to and had decided that she would break that promise if she had to. “So, do we wait until dark, see if the truck comes back or what?” He thought about it for a minute before he said, “Our best bet is to go while the truck ain’t here. If there are any people in the house, there shouldn’t be too many. I think we could handle ‘em. You pack both knives and your nine, I’m taking my knife and the bow. I know I don’t have to tell ya to stay alert and pay attention, I know you will.” He stood and took her hand to help her up. He wrapped his arms around her waist and wanted so badly to tell her he loved her, but he didn’t. He buried his face in her neck and kissed her there. “I’m so glad I still have you,” he said on her skin. “I’m glad I still have you too,” she replied.

There wasn’t much to cover their approach to the house, all they had to rely on was their stealth. Daryl had never been more proud of Melissa than right now. Rick was a good leader and a sure shot, but was as invisible as a tornado in a trailer park. This woman knew how and when to be quiet, she knew how to sneak around and he was grateful again that she was still with him. They went straight to the back yard where Daryl immediately found tracks. He could see three distinct sets and he knew they belonged to Rick, Maggie and Glenn. At first they seemed organized, but then he noticed two additional sets of prints. All five sets went around the side of the house and he followed them. Melissa had been trying to look through windows, but either they were too high or covered by closed drapes. They went around the corner and arrived at the front door. Daryl looked up toward the second floor windows, but couldn’t see anything. He motioned for Melissa to stay behind him and on guard.

He wriggled the door handle, and of course, it was locked. That could be a good sign. He took a step back, bow cocked and ready. He kicked out with his left food and the door cracked, just a little. It took two more kicks and a hard shove with his shoulders, but he finally got the door down. He stepped in first and took a quick look and listen. Seeing and hearing nothing, he waived Melissa inside. She took the hallway which led to a bedroom and around to the kitchen. She found the bed a mess, sheets and blankets balled up and piled high in the bed, a few dresser drawers open or on the floor. The bathroom wasn’t much better. She found blood and dirt stains in the sink and shower, and a bucket of cold, filthy water setting on the toilet lid. Daryl found as much in the kitchen as she did in the bedroom. There were empty food cans everywhere, chairs turned over and two bloody knives on the counter, but no people . . . yet.

They met back in the living room and went upstairs together. There were two bedrooms, a bathroom, and a closet. They didn’t separate this time, but moved from room to room together. It looked like no one had ever been up here. The bedrooms were neat and tidy, the bathroom was clean, and the closet was full of nice, fluffy towels. “I think there’s a basement,” Daryl said as they descended the stairs. “There’s a door in the living room, before ya go into the kitchen. We should check it out. Seems like they left, don’t know for how long, but they could be down there, they could be alive down there.”

“And they could be walkers down there, we don’t know. I hope they’re not down there at all. Maybe they were able to get away and they’re safe somewhere.” Daryl tucked her head into his shoulder and ran his fingers through her hair. “We’re gonna find ‘em no matter where they are. If they’re walkers, we’ll put ‘em down. If they’re dead, we’ll bury ‘em.” He paused for a moment, “If they’re alive, we’ll take ‘em home to our family.”

The basement door was slightly ajar and Daryl took the flashlight out of his back pocket and put it between his lips. They crept down the stairs and as they neared the bottom, they heard the tell-tale sounds of the once dead. Daryl shone his light across the room and saw two walkers he gratefully did not recognize. He took one out with a bolt and Melissa took out the other with her knife. They kicked the bodies to the side and looked over the room. There were three chairs laying on their sides with cords of rope still attached to them. They found a few droplets of blood on the floor, but nothing that would indicate a fatal injury. It was on a bench along the back wall that she found evidence that their friends had been there. Shining in the dim light of Daryl’s torch was Rick’s Colt Python. He wouldn’t have left it behind if he hadn’t been forced to. Daryl nor Melissa said a word to teach other, there was nothing to say. They could only look at each other sadly and hope that their friends were still alive somewhere. He shoved the weapon in the back of his pants and led her back upstairs.

When they arrived back at their house, Melissa went straight upstairs and Daryl followed her. They disappeared into the room that would have been theirs two nights ago. He put the gun in his bag and caught a glance of something he had forgotten he had. Suddenly, he felt Melissa’s arms wrap around him from behind. His hands covered hers and he hung his head down. She rested her cheek between his shoulder blades, “We’ll find them and they’ll be alive. I know they will.”

“I know. Rick and Glenn, they’re tough sons a bitches. And Maggie, she’s a fucking badass. I’m just . . . . I don’t know. Rick wouldn’t have left his gun behind unless he was forced to. Whoever those motherfuckers are, they took ‘em. If they weren’t still alive, they’d a been walkers in the basement.” He turned around in her arms and rested his forehead on hers. “We’ll stay here tonight, head out in the morning. I can track ‘em. I know I can.”

“Sshhh, I know. Let’s go back downstairs. I’ll get us something to eat, okay?”

“Naw, I’m not hungry. Just wanna lay down for a bit. Would you stay with me?”

“Of course. I think we both need some rest.” Melissa went to the bed and took off her boots and jeans. Daryl took something out of his bag and stood in front of her.

“Hey, smile for me,” he said and she did. The flash from the Polaroid startled her.

“What the fuck Daryl? Where the hell did you get that thing? Give me a warning next time.”

“I found it at the gas station. Just thought I’d like to have a picture of you, ya know, if anything happened.” He put the camera and the developing picture on the dresser by his bag. She stood up and took his hand leading him to the bed.

“Ain’t nothing gonna happen. We ain’t gonna lose each other, but I want one of those of you, maybe the two of us together?”

“Yeah, that’d be nice.” He took off his boots, pants and vest, debating with himself whether or not to shed the t-shirt also. She deserved to see all of him, especially now. He pulled the cloth up and over his head, then bent down to pick up the rest of their clothes and walked to the dresser, laying them next to his bag, knowing she was looking at his scars. When he turned around, she was sitting on the bed smiling at him, crooking her finger at him to come closer. He climbed into bed with her and covered them both with the sheet. She put her hand on his face, “Thank you for trusting me with that.” She ran her fingers along the scars on his chest and stomach. “They made you who you are. I don’t think I would have fallen in love with you if you hadn’t experienced what you did. I’m the woman I am because of what happened. It happened to both of us and now here we are, on the other side, together.” Her words put a broad smile on Daryl’s face.

“You’re in love with me?” he asked moving his eyes up to hers, looking at her between his quickly growing bangs.

“Yes. I’ve never felt this way. You make me feel . . . . happy, alive, you make me smile. No one, no man, has ever wanted to be near me. No one ever talked to me or even looked at me until you. I was invisible to everyone, but you saw me, you saw all of me and you didn’t run away screaming. You kissed me, you touched me. You did all of that willingly. You’ve protected me, you’ve saved me, and I fell in love with you.”

He took a deep breath and held it for a few seconds. Cupping her face in his hands he spoke, “No one’s ever loved me before, except my mamma. Never thought there was anything worth lovin’. Never thought I’d find somebody I’d want to love.” Feeling bold, she pushed him down onto the bed and hovered over him.

“I love you Daryl.” She kissed him gently, but he quickly made the kiss more passionate. He ran his tongue across her lips and they opened for him, giving him access to explore her mouth. He pressed them together and their hands roamed each other’s bodies. She moved her hands across his back feeling the puckered and broken skin. He tensed when he felt her soft hands on his scars, but relaxed when he realized he didn’t have to be scared anymore. Her touch was giving him confidence and he flipped them over and floated above her. Their hands and mouths never left each other. He trailed kisses across her jaw and down her neck, sucking on the skin there. He tugged at the hem of her shirt and pushed it up and over her head. Pulling the cups of her bra down, he cupped her breasts and squeezed them tightly, making her moan against his skin. She began to buck her hips into his body.

“Touch me please,” she begged him. One hand trailed down her body to the waistband of her panties. He pushed a finger under the material and rubbed it against her opening gathering her juices, then rubbed her clit at an agonizingly slow pace. Her back arched upward and off the bed. “Fuck yes! Yes! Yes! Harder please!” He removed his finger only for a second before he moved it back down to her entrance. She growled in disappointment until his thumb took over at her clit. He rubbed his finger over her entrance teasing and she whined. “Fuck Daryl. What are you doing to me?”

He leaned over her body and licked the shell of her ear. “I’m gonna put my fingers inside ya and I’m gonna fuck ya.” He pushed one finger inside her unbearably tight hole. “AAAAHHHH,” she said loudly. He stilled his finger, “Am I hurting ya? I’ll stop.”

“No, don’t stop. Just go slow.” He nodded his head and very slowly started pushing further inside her. When he was in up to his knuckle, he gave her a minute. He had never been with a virgin before and had no idea how tight the fit would be. He was wondering if he would ever be able to fit his cock inside her. He would just have to make sure she was well prepared.

“Tell me when you’re ready baby. I’m gonna fuck you nice and slow.” She took a few deep breaths as he continued to rub her clit. When she was ready, he began to pump his finger inside her gently, never completely pulling out. He kissed her mouth, neck and chest and he moved his fingers on her and inside her. Her breathing quickened, her moans became louder, and she moved her hips on his finger. He was so focused on her body, he ignored his own growing erection. He sat back on his knees and watched her body writhe on his finger. He moved another towards her hole and nudged it inside. She was so amazingly wet that it slid in without a problem. He moved his fingers faster losing the rhythm he had on her clit, but she didn’t seem to notice. She was making the most beautiful sounds and her body was hypnotizing. He watched her breasts move up and down as she squirmed. The look on her face was ecstasy. “I love you. I love you. I love you so fucking much Melissa. You look so beautiful like this.” He was still having a hard time believing that he was the one doing this to her. He didn’t think he was capable of making a woman feel like this. He growled deep in his chest with pride and possession. She was his woman now, no other man would ever have her like this, or any other way. “Cum for me.” His fingers moved faster inside her and he moved his face down to her cunt and flicked her hard with his tongue. Her body stilled and stiffened as she screamed his name and came on his fingers. He fucked her through her orgasm and licked her juices. Her eyes were clinched shut as he removed his fingers. “Open your eyes,” he told her and when she did, he put his wet fingers in his mouth and sucked them clean.

His cock was still hard, but he still managed to ignore it. All he wanted now was to hold her in his arms and fall asleep. He collapsed next to her and pulled the sheet around their bodies. He pulled her to him and wrapped his arms around her resting her head on his chest. He felt her body relax and before she let sleep consume her she said, “I love you so fucking much.”

The first thing Rick noticed when he regained consciousness was that he was in a vehicle on a very bumpy road. There was a hood over his head, his hands were tied behind him, and there was something stuffed in his mouth. The last thing he remembered was being tied to a chair in the basement of that house. Glenn and Maggie had been with him then, he didn’t know where they were now. They had been officially introduced to The Governor, who seemed to be an arrogant, delusional asshole. When the vehicle stopped, he heard men talking outside, he couldn’t tell how many there were, but it sounded like maybe five or six. Suddenly, the door opened and he was pulled out of the car and thrown to the ground. He felt two sets of hands grab his arms and pull him up. He was dragged forward and taken inside somewhere, he wasn’t sure what kind of a place it was. They walked him down a long corridor and threw him into a room. He heard the door close and lock and felt a presence standing over him. He was jerked up by his shirt collar and the hood was ripped off his head. It took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the light, but before they did, he heard a very familiar voice

“Well, if it ain’t Officer Friendly. Bet you thought you’d a gotten rid of ol’ Merle for good huh?”