Hope Is a Waking Dream

Chapter 23

Chapter 23

"Where is Maggie?" Glenn asked desperately as soon as the door to the room opened.

"She's safe, don't worry. I've been taking very good care of her." The Governor slipped inside the room carefully and quietly. "I just came here to talk. You can have a calm, civilized conversation, can't you?" Glenn didn't respond, just glared at the seemingly intimidating man. "Now, I just want to know what you and your friends think you were doing sneaking around that house and my truck."

Glenn stayed quiet for another moment before speaking. "Tell me where Maggie is, let me see her and then I'll talk to you."

"Who is Maggie? To you, who is she? Is she your sister? No, a man doesn't get that look in his eyes when he talks about his sister. She your wife? Yeah, I think she is. I know that look. You're a man who is willing to do anything to save his women." He circled the chair Glenn was tied to. "I was that kind of man once. Now I'm willing to do anything to get what I want, and I want to know who you people are. How many people are in your group?" He paused and knelt down in front of his prisoner, "I'll let you see your wife, no talking, no touching. You initiate anything between the two of you and I'll kill her. Don't think I'm joking about that."

"I wouldn't imagine you have a sense of humor," Glenn replied and received a hard fist to the jaw for it.

"Killing her or killing you, doesn't make a difference to me. There will still be one of you left. Now can I trust you, or should I just kill you now?"

Glenn just stared at the man. He didn't trust him, and was pretty sure the Goververnor didn't trust him either. "Let me see Maggie and I'll talk to you." The Governor opened the door and a large black man came inside. "Shumpert will take you to see your wife." He put his finger on the giant man's chest, “Take him the back way. He draws any attention to himself, you can kill him. If you do, make sure his wife sees it."

**********************************************************

Merle woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed the next morning, eager to get on the road and find his baby brother. He snatched up the quiver with half made bolts and put them in the back seat of his truck. As he stepped outside, he could see the gated entry of the community. There was something beyond the tree line reflecting the early morning sunlight. He was being watched, by someone who didn't know the first thing about hiding themselves. He had a suspicion of who it was, but couldn't be sure just yet. He went back in and made a sweep, gathering his own things and looking for anything else he could take with him. He pretended to not see the truck that he recognized as he pulled through the gate.

After forty-five minutes, he stopped in the middle of the road. The remnants of a campsite on the side and two sets of tire tracks in the center. He got out of the truck and investigated the skid marks first. Definitely two vehicles, and by the size and spacing he knew they were trucks, heavy duty by the look. He looked around as he walked to the stack of logs that had made a fire. He kicked them around a bit and searched the surrounding area. What looked like a crumpled piece of paper caught his eye and he walked the four feet or so to pick it up. When he turned it over in his hand, he smiled and laughed. "Well baby brother, looks like I'm on your tail. Now I just gotta find out who this bitch is tagging along with you."

**********************************************************

When Daryl woke up the next day, Melissa's naked legs were wrapped around him. He took a deep breath and smiled. Every morning when he woke up with her was a miracle for him. She was still sleeping soundly and he felt her chest against his own as she breathed. This was a perfect moment for him and he didn't want to lose it or forget it. He very carefully unwound himself and went to her bag to retrieve the camera. She stirred slightly, but her position didn't change. She was on her side, head resting on an outstretched arm, her other hand palm down in front of her. Her hair was spread wildly around her, some covering her face, some draped down her back and the rest splayed across the floor. The blanket was haphazardly covering only bits and pieces of her body. Her ass, one breast, and one leg were on display for him. He told her that they would never be separated and there wasn't really any reason to have the camera, but this was an image he wanted to keep. Maybe one day he would grow old and forgetful, and he would look at this picture and remember that a beautiful woman loved him once. Or maybe, he just wanted something to inspire him on those long hunts he would be taking once they found their friends and everyone was back together.

The sound of the shutter woke her, but her eyes didn't open immediately. She rolled onto her back and stretched, revealing more of her body to him. Then she looked at him and smiled, he was standing above her waving a Polaroid in the air. She grabbed the blanket and pulled it up on her. "What the hell are you doing Daryl?"

"I'm not doing anything," he said with a smirk. "Already did it." He tossed the photo down to her and went to the kitchen to find them something to eat.

She quietly looked at the photo and was surprised that she didn't feel disgusted by the image. Her face was barely visible, and her body was covered for the most part. She stood, wrapping the blanket around her and went to the kitchen. "I thought you said we didn't need pictures of each other, why did you take this?"

"Don't be mad. You just look so sexy laying there. That's an image I don't want to risk forgetting." He sat two bowls of canned fruit on the table and sat down.

"I can't believe I'm going to say this, and I never thought I would, but this picture isn't bad. Probably the only one I've ever been able to look at. You did a good job hiding the bad bits."

Daryl sat his plastic fork on the table and leaned forward. "You listen to me, I've told you this before, and this is the last time. There ain't no bad bits. I fell in love with you the day I saw you at the brook, the day I saw you bathing. All the women I'd ever seen were Merle's junkie whores. They's not the prettiest girls in the world, ya know. My brother would fuck 'em just to get a piece. I fucked 'em because they'd let me. Never aspired for anything better than that. Weren't no classy women running in our circle. Tell ya the truth, I thought you was pretty the first time we met. You're kinda cute when you're pissed, and you got a beautiful body. Your skin is the softest thing I've ever touched, and I've never seen breasts that fit in my whole hand,” he blushed and looked down at the floor. “I know I ain't supposed to say shit like that, objectifying women or something, but I never even dreamed that a woman as beautiful, sexy, and smart as you would give two shits about me. I love touching you and kissing you. You doubt any of that and we're gonna have a problem."

Melissa was on the verge of tears, “I’ve never loved anyone before, and no one's ever loved me. How can someone see good things in themselves if nobody else does? Boys, men, never looked at me. They always ran as far away from me as they could get. Never wanted to talk to me much less touch me. I hated myself because they hated me. I've never been good enough for anyone and wanted to kill myself so many times. I still can't believe you're here with me, that you love me. I can't possibly tell you how that feels."

"You don't have to; I know how that feels. My daddy spent almost sixteen years trying to beat into me the fact that I was worthless and nobody could love me. I accepted that and didn't even try to fight it. I'm kinda glad though, in a way, that none of those men wanted you. It means that I was the first one to see you, first one to kiss you and touch you. When we're together for real, I'm gonna be the first man to ever have you like that. That is the most mind blowing feeling I've ever had."

Melissa was speechless, she looked at him with tears in her eyes. "All this because of a picture," Daryl said and shook his head. He pushed his bowl away and stood. Pulling her up to stand, he cradled her tear stained cheeks in his hands. "I ain't never letting you go, never. I ain't letting anything happen to you. If I lost you I'd die. I just found you, can't live without you no more." He kissed her slowly, trying to convey his emotions through it. He had laid himself bare before her, and she had done the same with him. He wasn't scared or angry anymore. He was hopeful, something he had never been in his life.

**********************************************************

Glenn was being pulled down a hallway blindfolded. A couple of times he tripped over his own fast moving feet, and the giant black man just pulled him up by his shirt collar. Soon they stopped and the Asian man was thrown against the wall. "I'm gonna take the blindfold off, you make a sound and you're dead. Do you understand?" Glenn nodded his head and the blinder was ripped from his eyes. He was standing in front of a two-way mirror. He saw her, tied to a chair in only her bra and pants. A rage began to build up inside him and he almost lashed out, until he heard the man behind him cock his gun. "See, she's doing just fine. Now I'm gonna take you to the Governor and you can tell him everything he wants to know."