Hope Is a Waking Dream

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Melissa spent that night in her room, in her bed. She didn’t sleep well though. She thought about what Herschel, Carol, Carl, and Lori had said to her. She thought about all the things Daryl had said to her. She was so confused by that redneck. She still wasn’t sure about him, which him was the real him. However, she couldn’t deny that if the man she saw by the brook and the man who brought her dinner was the real Daryl, she could accept him. Well, try to accept him. She had known these people for one day and her whole perspective was changing. She didn’t know how to handle that. She had been forced to be alone, and then she had chosen it. Being alone was all she had known for the last fifteen years. She still wasn’t comfortable with them being here, but part of her was glad that her self-imposed isolation was over, for now at least. She could very easily get used to the company, and possible companionship. She didn’t want to get hurt. She couldn’t let these people in and have them turn on her and leave her to die. She couldn’t let them make her weak, make her forget that she was the only one who really cares about her.
Daryl spent that night on the front porch taking first watch. That woman confused the hell out of him. She was aggressive, yet he had been her vulnerable. He didn’t know what pissed him off more, her attitude, or her beauty. He lit his second cigarette. Maybe Herschel and Carol were right. She was good at hunting and tracking, she could be an asset. She could be his companion, in the woods. He might be willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, if it would benefit the group. The group, he thought. Who would have ever thought he’d be this concerned about people who weren’t his kin? Who’d have thought he’d find people who’d treat him better than his kin ever did? Daryl didn’t want to admit it, but they made him feel good about himself. He still missed Merle, sometimes, but he couldn’t think of ever leaving them. Regretfully, he depended on them too much now. He almost felt ashamed of it, but having people there people who’d have his back too, meant more to him than he could ever express. Maybe he could convince Melissa of that too.
When Rick came out to relieve him from duty, he quickly entered the cabin. Everyone was scattered on the floor, except for Lori and Carl. They had taken the second bedroom. He walked to the door where Melissa was sleeping He was tempted to look in on her. He knew he didn’t need to. He knew she would probably be offended by it, so he just sank to the floor in front of her room. He didn’t really feel protective over her; he now realized that despite what happened earlier, she could take care of herself. He just felt that spot was where he needed to be. Usually, he would find a spot by Carol, but tonight he felt differently. What Carol had started all those months ago, after Sophia had walked out of that barn, was beginning to affect him. He was feeling things now, feeling more than anger and shame. He would do what he had to, what was required of him, even if it put him out of his comfort zone. This group had forced Melissa out of hers; the least he could do was join her there.
The next morning, Melissa woke up before the sunrise. She grabbed her knives and her Beretta and opened the door. She nearly tripped over a sleeping Daryl. Actually, she kicked him in the arm. “Damn woman! Don’t you know a better way to wake someone up?” he asked.
“Oh my God!” she exclaimed. “I’m so sorry! I didn’t know you were sleeping there. Why were you sleeping there?”
“Only place left. This ain’t no castle ya know,” he replied half-annoyed.
“Do you still want me to go hunting with you? I mean, is that still okay?”
“Yeah, wouldn’t have asked it wasn’t. Let me grab my pack and we can head out.” Five minutes later, they were headed into the woods, the sun just starting to rise. Melissa knew better than to start a conversation, but she really wanted an explanation for what he said to her last night, right before he left her room. Maybe she’s better off not knowing. He was walking a few paces ahead of her and they hadn’t found any tracks worth following, so they were settled with a few rabbits and squirrels. On their way back to the cabin, Daryl spoke. “You said you been alone for a long time. How long is long?”
“Depends on your definition of alone,” she replied. “My parents were killed when I was thirteen. Drunk driver ran a red light and plowed right into them. Dad died instantly, mom went three days later. I became a ward of the state. Was only ever in one foster home, that didn’t last long. They said I was too weird. They had two kids of their own and said I was creeping ‘em out. It was just ‘cause I didn’t talk. I didn’t speak for three years after my parents died.”
“How come,” he asked her. “Psychological or some shit?”
“That’s what they thought, so I let them believe it. I just realized that there was no point in letting something in if it would eventually go away. Why invite people in if they’re just gonna leave anyway?”
“Mmm,” was Daryl’s only reply. He had felt the same way most of his life. “So why’d you start talking again?”
“They were gonna send me to another foster home; I didn’t want to go. I was able to convince them, somehow, to not make me go. I was almost seventeen. In a year, I’d be on my own anyway. So, I spent that last year on the streets practically. I’d go back to the state home a couple times a week just so they wouldn’t send cops after me.”
“So did ya drop out of school or something? You sleep on the streets?”
“Didn’t drop out. I graduated on time. Wasn’t about to put myself in a position where I couldn’t take care of myself. I knew no one else wanted to. Did a pretty good job of it that last year. Got a job bagging groceries at the Kroger in town. Not much, but it kept me fed and when I turned eighteen, I had enough saved to get a shitty one-bedroom apartment. I had that job and that apartment until the shit hit the fan. And yes, I slept on the street when I had to.”
“Mmm,” was Daryl’s reply, again. “ I’s in a foster home, couple of times. Merle, my brother, was in jail or in the army stationed overseas. Those didn’t last long either. I’s always sent back.”
“Sent back where?”
“My old man. He’d stay sober long enough to convince some social worker he’d changed, but as soon as I got home, he’d get drunk and leave for days, or . . .” Daryl trailed off.
“I guess Herschel was right,” Melissa said, stopping in her tracks. Daryl took a couple more steps until he stopped too.
“Right about what?”
“He told me that you and I are alike. That we have a lot in common.”
“That old man don’t know shit about me. Thinks ‘cause he’s old he knows everything.” Daryl was thoroughly annoyed. He liked Herschel, he really did. Wished he’d been his dad, but he knew what he’s trying to do and Daryl didn’t want any part of that horseshit.
“Well, he don’t know me either, but there’s something he knows or sees. Them old people got special gifts. My great-grandma was a spell caster. She died not long before my parents and she taught me some stuff.” She said and started walking again.
“You a witch?”
“No, I never tried those spells. Never had a need to. They were mostly for financial success and love. Thought I’d never have either so why bother?”
They were getting closer to the cabin and remained silent the rest of the way. Daryl had to admit, it hadn’t been a bad hunt. She held her own and didn’t whine and complain about anything. He suspected she wouldn’t. When they reached the tree line, he took her kills from her and handed them off to Maggie and Beth, who were sitting by the fire. He saw Rick motion for him, letting him know they needed to talk. He was halfway there when Rick pointed behind him to Melissa and mouthed, “her too.” He walked back and poked her on the shoulder. “Rick wants to talk to us,” and craned his neck in Rick’s direction. She agreed and followed Daryl around to the side of the cabin.
“How’d it go out there?” Rick asked them.
“Fine,” Daryl said. “Nothing big out there, but we got enough for today if Lori don’t go overboard.” Daryl said and Rick chuckled. “She’ll take what she can get. There’s still some deer left from last night if she needs more.” He looked at Melissa and said, “I don’t think I’ve thanked you yet for your hospitality. It means the world to my family, and I think Carl has a crush on you.”
Melissa laughed out loud, “He has a what! There’s no accounting for taste, huh. He was just excited to go hunting yesterday, that’s all.” Rick and Daryl just looked at each other and gave a collective sigh.
“Anyway, I wanted to talk to ya’ll about a run. Are there any towns close by that we could check out?”
Melissa thought about it for a second. “Yeah, there’s a little place about twenty miles or so east of here. I don’t know what it’s called, but if you got a map, I could show ya where it is. I think there’s a drug store/pharmacy, a small grocery store and library, I think.”
“Good. Daryl, if you could help me organize it, we’ll head out tomorrow. I’ll grab the map and meet you by the cars.” Rick patted his shoulder as he walked passed him.
“You gonna go to the brook?” Daryl asked her when he was sure Rick was gone.
“I was thinking about it.”
“Want me to go with you? To watch for walkers, I mean. So you won’t have to worry about it.”
“Thank you, but that’s not necessary. I’ll be just fine.”
“Ok. Imma talk to Rick. I’ll probably be down there later myself. Just keep your eyes open. Don’t wanna hafta keep savin’ your ass.” He smirked.
“Yeah, don’t want to be a burden to you,” she said, as she turned and walked away, half hurt, half annoyed.
Daryl felt like a giant ass. Stupid mouth; couldn’t go a whole day without pissin’ that girl off. She’d actually been nice to him, told him a lot of things she probably hadn’t ever told anyone and he just took ten fucking leaps backward and shit all over everything. He’d go talk to Rick, then spend the rest of the day trying to figure out how to make it up to her.
Rick was leaning against Maggie’s SUV when Daryl rounded the corner. “What’s wrong with her? What happened? She looked pissed.” Rick asked a shameful looking Daryl.
“My fault. Opened my damn mouth before my brain kicked in. Just can’t talk to people Rick. I been trying, I really have. Herschel thinks that I can get through to her. Help her out with whatever she’s got in her head, but I don’t know how. She’d been trying too and doing a better job than me. I can’t do nothing but fuck shit up.”
“You talk to me just fine, and Carol and Carl and all of us. You’re getting better at this Daryl. Ya’ll are just too much alike is all. Now you know what it was like dealing with you at the quarry.”
“Shit! I wasn’t that bad, was I? Hell, I aint’ never gonna make this work.” Daryl said, aggravated.
“You’ll figure it out, just give it time. Listen, about this run, I’m thinking Glenn, Maggie, you and me. If Melissa gives us the directions, we should be in and out within the day.”
“Whose gonna stay here, in case something happens? We need someone here who knows what to do in case a herd comes through.”
“Your right. I’ll stay. Who would you feel comfortable with?”
Daryl thought about it and could come up with only one logical answer. “Melissa,” he said. “If she’s gonna draw the map, she obviously know her way around. She’s tough, she’s strong, and she’s quiet. She’d be an asset.”
“Alright, if you feel comfortable with it and she’s willing, she goes too. Do you want me to tell her?”
“No,” Daryl said, with a sick feeling in his stomach. “I’ll tell her. I got to find a way to fix my shit anyway.”