Hope Is a Waking Dream

Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The next morning, everyone was up bright and early to help get ready for the run. Carol and Lori were making food packs and Glenn, Rick, and Daryl were loading up the SUV with weapons. Melissa watched it all. She noticed how they didn’t speak, just knew what to do. They could’ve been doing it blind folded. They were a well-oiled machine. Maggie walked up to her with a box in her arms. “I think there’s enough food in here to keep us if we have to stay out overnight. Hope we don’t though.”
“So, is there a list or do we just grab what we find?” Melissa asked her.
“We do have a list. Actually, we have two. One has all the necessities, the other is the ‘ladies list’. That’s why we always try to have at least one woman on each run. We can’t always though, but the men are getting better at knowing what we need and what we like. After we get all that stuff, if there’s time, we’ll grab extras, luxuries if there are any. Once we get there, we’ll break up into groups, me and Glenn and you and Daryl. We’ll split the lists between us. Could you put this box in the back? I’m gonna see if I can find some extra bags in case it’s a good haul.”
Melissa took the box of foodstuff and walked to the SUV where Daryl, Glenn, and Rick were talking. “Maggie thinks there’s enough shit in here to keep us all for the night if need be,” she said as Daryl took the box from her, brushing his hands against hers as they made the transfer.
“Hopefully we won’t have to stay out, but it’s always good to be prepared. It’s happened more times than I like,” Daryl said putting the box between a couple of rifles and his crossbow. “Saddle up folks. We need to head out.” Maggie drove with Melissa in navigator position, while the boys sat in the back. It took a little less than an hour to reach their destination. They hatched a plan before exiting the vehicle. Glenn tore each list in half and each person took a section. Daryl and Melissa would go to the pharmacy while Glenn and Maggie would try the small grocery next to it. When they were done, if they had time, they would drive out a little farther to check on a small housing development that Melissa had told them about. As the couples went their separate ways, Daryl led Melissa to the drug store’s front door. “I’m gonna tap the window. If there are any in there, it’ll draw them out. We put ‘em down and go shopping.” A couple minutes after he placed the edge of his crossbow against it, three walkers appeared in front of them on the other side of the glass. Before he could blink, Melissa was up and unsheathing her knives. Daryl scrambled to catch up with her as she busted through the door. She had a knife in each hand and stabbed two at once, while Daryl took the last one out with a bolt to the brain.
“Holy shit girl! That was some damn fine work. Never seen anybody do that before.”
Embarrassed, she hung her head shyly. “Thanks. We should probably get the stuff.” She took her half of the ‘ladies list’ and went in search of feminine products. Daryl went straight to the pharmacy. He threw every bottle he found in his bag, pain meds, antacids, and cold medicine. There wasn’t much behind the counter except stuff for bad hearts and diabetics. Meanwhile, Melissa was putting boxes of pads and tampons in her bag. She found razors, shaving cream, body wash, body lotion, shampoo, and conditioner. There was only one thing left on her list and it was something she knew nothing about. She stared at the boxes on the shelf. There were only a few left, but they were all different. “Why the hell are these on the list?” she mumbled to herself.
“Glenn and Maggie.” Melissa about jumped out of her skin.
“Goddamn it! Why do you always do that shit! Do you want me to have a damn heat attack?”
“Uh, no, just answering your question. They’re for Glenn and Maggie. They’s the only one’s fuckin’ around here,” he said, his ears flaming red.
“Well, what kind to I get? I don’t know nothing about these things. Do they come in sizes? Shouldn’t they be doing this themselves?” He stepped up, standing next to her and looked at the boxes. He grabbed all of them and shoved half of them in her bag and the other half in his. “Don’t have to worry about it now,” he said and walked toward the door. Before she could turn around to follow him, they heard gun shots coming from outside. They ducked down behind a display and Daryl brought out the bow, cocked and ready. Melissa put her pack on her back and drew her knives. They crawled to the door and looked outside. When they heard Maggie scream, they launched themselves out the door. Walkers surrounded Glenn and Maggie. The more they killed, the more came after them. Daryl and Melissa quickly went into action, stabbing and shooting as many as they could. This herd was nowhere near the size that took the farm, but it was much more than the four of them could handle. “Get to the SUV, NOW!” Daryl yelled and they all started running, shooting and stabbing as they went. Once they all were inside the vehicle, Maggie floored it, heading towards the direction the walkers had come from; which also happened to be the direction of the housing development.
They drove for thirty minutes before they reached the development. They had lost the last of the herd fifteen minutes ago. The houses had been brand new when the world went to shit. Some of them were not completed, though they saw a few abandoned cars; maybe they could find one that was furnished. There was no way they were making it back to the cabin tonight. By tomorrow, the herd would be out of their way. They drove down two streets before they found one that looked acceptable. Daryl and Glenn cleared the lower level while Maggie and Melissa took the top. Maggie found the only walker; a young man, college age looked like. He had been locked in the bathroom of the master suite. Melissa helped her fling the body out the window. The body exploded on impact and when Daryl and Glenn heard the thud of the body, they ran outside. They looked down at the putrefied remains of the walker and then looked up at the window. The girls were standing there smiling and waving like goofballs.
“What the hell did ya’ll do?” Daryl yelled up at them.
“We saved you boys the trouble of dragging his stinky, decayed corps downstairs.” Maggie answered. “You’re welcome.” Daryl and Glenn just grinned and looked down at the bits of walker strewn about the yard.
“At least the smell should keep them away from us tonight,” said Glenn and went back inside with Daryl. After about an hour, Maggie and Melissa has filled two large duffle bags with toiletries and clothes, while the boys had done the same downstairs with non-perishable food and a few weapons. They all met in the living room, where Daryl started a fire in the fireplace. Glenn passed around various cans of food and they ate in relative silence around the fire. Glenn and Maggie cuddled together, feeding each other like fucking lovebirds while Melissa and Daryl sat with enough space between them to fit another person. Daryl was feeling very uncomfortable with the situation and could tell Melissa felt the same. She kept looking down at her lap, trying to scrape food from an empty can. He stared at her until she looked back at him. He shook his empty can at her and stood up holding his hand out. She took his hand and they walked into the kitchen together. The cans went into the trash and neither of them moved to go back to the living room. “Are they always like that?”
Daryl half smirked, “Yeah, whenever they get the chance, they’re all over each other. They don’t usually do anything in front of other people, but I guess they forgot we was here.”
“Must be nice to feel that,” Melissa said looking way from Daryl. “Being so involved and connected to another person that you forget the world exists. I wish I could forget the world exists.” Daryl just looked at her and didn’t speak. He wanted to say that he felt the same way, that he wanted the same thing, but he didn’t.
“I’m gonna take a walk around the perimeter, ya wanna go? Nobody should be forced to watch that shit in there.”
“Just let me grab my knife and we can go.”
“I’ll get it. You stay here.”
Glenn and Maggie didn’t even hear them leave. As soon as they were far enough from the house, Daryl spoke. “Ya doing alright? I mean, we’re not making ya uncomfortable or nothing are we?”
“Not really. Uncomfortable isn’t what I’d call it, more like nervous.”
Daryl stopped walking. “What ya mean, nervous?
“I just mean that I didn’t know what to expect with ya’ll. I never expected that display in there, and I still don’t know what’s gonna happen. I’m glad I came with ya though. I guess I’m starting to get used to ya. Ya’ll ain’t so bad.”
“I’m gonna do whatever I have to do to keep everybody safe. I believe you can take care of yaself though. After seeing ya go all Rambo in the pharmacy, I may get ya to be my bodyguard.”
She smiled. “I’d consider it. I don’t come cheap though.”
“Never imagined you would,” Daryl said and shyly looked at the ground. “Come on, best finish up and get back inside. Gonna let the lovebirds take first watch and we can get some sleep before it’s our turn.”
“Remind me to leave out one of those boxes of condoms, just in case they’re not tired when it’s our turn.”
Daryl laughed. “Don’t worry, I won’t. Times like this, I wish I still had my old headphones to drown out that God awful noise.”
Maggie and Glenn were in the kitchen when they returned. Daryl asked Glenn if they could talk and they went into the living room. “What were ya’ll doing?” Maggie said and wiggled her eyebrows.
“Checking the perimeter. Everything looked good.” Melissa replied, oblivious to Maggie’s meaning.
“I’m glad that you and Daryl are getting along now. He’s not so bad if you can get to know him. He’s a different man. The one I first met would just as soon shoot an arrow in your ass as look at you. He talks to you. I know he does. The only other people I’ve seen him talk to like that are Rick and Carol, but he’s known them longer than us. You’re new and he already seems comfortable with you.”
“I don’t think he’s comfortable, but he’s trying, and so am I. I’m starting to like ya’ll, I guess that includes him too.” Just then, Glenn and Daryl walked into the kitchen. “You guys are not gonna believe what we just figured out,” Glenn said excitedly.
“We’re not guessing. Just spill it Glenn.” Maggie said impatiently.
“The couch pulls out! We don’t have to sleep on the floor tonight and we don’t have to worry about getting stuck upstairs if something happens. We can take sheets from one of the upstairs bedrooms to put on it, and pillows and blankets!” They thought he was gonna explode.
“It’s okay sweetheart,” Maggie said sarcastically. “It’s gonna be tough on all of us, but we’ll survive. We just have to be strong.” Daryl and Melissa giggled under their breath as Maggie put her arms around Glenn supportively.
“Fuck all of you!” he said. “Maggie, you and I are gonna take first watch.” He grabbed his rifle and machete and stalked off toward the door.
“Aww, poor baby. I’m gonna go see if I can cheer him up.” Maggie was out the door faster than a NASCAR driver.
After Melissa and Daryl made the pull out couch into a bed, they extinguished their lantern and lay on their backs next to each other. “I think I’ve missed out on a lot. Ya’ll really are a family, ain’t ya?”
“I guess, as much as we can be. We look out for each other, protect each other. It’s not a bad situation. I can understand you not being so sure ‘bout things, being able to trust ‘em. I didn’t, for a long time, but Rick and Carol wouldn’t let me go. I was gonna leave the group, but they kept bringing me back in. Rick gave me responsibility; no one’s ever trusted me like he does. Guess he earned my trust and my respect too.”
“It may not be so bad being a part of your family.” She started to shiver and Daryl pulled the blanket over her shoulders.”
“We’ll take care of you, I promise. Won’t ever let anything bad happen to ya. Better get some sleep. The lovebirds will be back in four hours, and then it’s our turn. Gonna need to be alert.” They turned their backs to each other and fell asleep. When Maggie and Glenn came in to get them four hours later, they couldn’t contain their smiles when they found Daryl and Melissa on the fold out with their arms around each other.