Status: Previously Wasted; being rewritten

Wasting Them

~105

McKenly stared at Constance. She was certainly frightened. They had never managed to find out how she reacted towards woman. Thankfully, Sam had never been unfaithful, or at least that’s what she knew of him. McKenly took in slow deep breaths, hoping that it would just leave the two of them alone.

“Take. Me. Home.” Constance demanded.

“No.” McKenly pressed.

Constance did not like that answer. She took control of the car, locking the doors so they couldn’t get out.

Sam tried his lock, but it wouldn’t budge. “I can’t move it.”

McKenly turned her body and tried her lock. “I can’t either. We’re locked in.” She pointed out. “Dean was right. You are a bitch. Let us go.”

The gas was pressed by Constance's spirit and the car drove itself. It drove in the direction they had been going, probably taking them to her house.

Sam was struggling, still trying to get the locked unhitched.

“She won’t let us out, Sam. You might as well get comfortable.”

The car stopped in front of the practically destroyed house. The car shut off as well as the lights. It had gotten even darker now that they were on the outside of town.

“Don’t do this.” Sam said, glancing back at Constance.

Constance flickered. She shook her head. “I can never go home.” She said sadly.

McKenly turned her head to look at her when she realized something about the spirit. “You’re scared to go home.” She stated clearly,

Constance quickly disappeared from the car.

McKenly let out a sigh. “Sam, that’s it. She ca - ” McKenly didn’t get to finish because she was flung out of the car and into the yard. “Sam!” She shouted before she hit something hard. McKenly didn’t know what she hit, but everything went fuzzy and then dark. She was shaken awake by Dean, who was standing over her, holding his gun and hers.

“Ken, wake up.” He pressed, leaning down to pick her off the ground.

“She’s got Sam.”

“Are you okay?”

McKenly nodded, taking the gun from him. “Just get Sam.” She regained her balance leaning against the rock that she hit. The two turned their heads quickly at the sound of Sam shouting in pain.

Dean quickly aimed his gun and shot out his front drivers’ window.

Constance glared at him and then disappeared, only to reappear a second later. She continued hurting Sam.

Dean kept shooting at Constance, taking steps towards the car, hoping that would make things better.

Finally, she disappeared.

Sam sat up in the seat quickly, turning the key in the engine. He glared forward at the house. “I’m taking you home.” Sam threatened, slamming his foot on the gas.

McKenly and Dean stared at him, confused as to what he was doing, until they realized that he was heading straight for the house. “Sam!” They called.

“What the hell is he doing?” Dean asked McKenly, hurrying off after the car.

McKenly thought for a second, before smiling. “He’s taking her home.” She chased after Dean, rushing into the house just after the car had crashed into it. “Sammy!” McKenly called, hoping he would call back.

“Here!” Sam shouted.

Dean walked to the passenger side of the car. “You okay?”

“I think.”

“Can you move?”

“Yeah, help me.” Sam strained.

McKenly watched as Constance picked up an old photo frame and stared at it longingly. The slamming of the car door, made Constance come out of her trance with the photo. “Guys, look out!” McKenly called warning them.

Constance became angry, throwing McKenly against a hard wall this time.

She groaned at the contact, falling to the ground, her leg getting scratched by a broken chair leg.

“Ken!” Dean shouted for her.

Constance threw the photo to the ground and made a heavy table slide across the ground, pinning the boys to the car.

“Dean.” McKenly yelled, in obvious pain. She whimpered as she reached to touch the cut. McKenly attempted to pull herself up to her feet, only to fall back to the floor.

Constance stepped forward, almost as if she was going to continue to torture the boys. She paused with the lights began to flicker.

McKenly heard the sound of water running. She looked to her right where the stairs were seeing the liquid falling down the stairs as if the tub was overfilling. McKenly’s eyes followed up the stairs where she saw two small shadowy figures. “Oh, my god.” she whispered, realizing these were Constance’s children.

Constance went to the bottom of the steps, staring lovingly at her children.

“Ken, what is it?” Dean demanded.

“I think it’s her kids.”

The children joined hands and spoke at the same time. “You’ve come home to us, Mommy.” they said. This seemed to scare Constance. The kids appeared down the stairs and grabbed onto their mother, hugging her.

Constance screamed almost as if in pain and the three of them disappeared into a puddle on the floor.

The three let out a huge breath.

Dean had Sam help him push the dresser over and he was at McKenly’s side in seconds. He crouched down, pushing the hair out of her face. “You’re okay?” He asked, in a slight panic.

McKenly squeezed her eyes shut, shaking her head, pointing to her leg.

“Can you walk?”

She shrugged. “I haven’t even been able to get up.” McKenly admitted. She put an arm around Dean’s shoulders, as he pulled her to her feet. McKenly tested out her leg and found that she could walk on it, if she was limping. She groaned. “This is not the job that can handle a handicap.”

“You’ll be fine.” Dean smirked. “I’ll stitch it up when we get the car outta here.” He led them to the place where Constance had disappeared. “So this is where she drowned her kids.” Dean suggested.

Sam nodded. “That’s why she could never go home.” He explained. “She was too scared to face them.”

“You found her weak spot. Nice work, Sammy.” Dean congratulated, slapping his brother on the chest where Constance had hurt him.

Sam laughed through the pain. “It was McKenly who had figured it out. She tried to tell me before she was flung from the car.”

McKenly shrugged, not wanting the credit. “It was a group effort.” She saw, pointing to the car for Dean to take her to it so she could lean on the vehicle. “You know, I wish I could say you did good, too.” McKenly smiled. “What were you thinking? Shooting Casper in the face?”

“It saved Sam’s ass!” Dean defended.

“Sure.”

Dean leaned over the car, looking into it. “I’ll tell you another thing, Sam: If you screwed up my car…” Dean faced Sam. “I’ll kill you.” Dean climbed into the driver’s seat. “Help me get this thing out.” He ordered of Sam.

Sam obliged, helping him back out the car with little to no more damage to the car. It took them about a half an hour before they could get it back on the road.

McKenly had managed to stay standing on the porch, watching as Dean slowly backed the car out. “Took you long enough!” She shouted to Dean as he exited the car and trudged up the stairs to her.

Dean smiled at her. “You try backing a car out of a house.”

“Can’t. Bum leg.” McKenly gestured to it. “Probably won’t be driving for a couple days while it loosens up.” She looked to the stairs, wishing that had been something Sam had broken when he crashed into the house.

Dean followed her gaze and a playful smirk came to his face.

McKenly looked at him warily, wondering what he was thinking. “Dean?” she questioned, laughing.

The dirty blond approached her, wrapping an arm around her waist, and threw her over his shoulder, making McKenly laugh.

“You know, I coulda gotten down those steps myself.” She pointed out, earning a headshake from Dean. “Watch the leg, would ya?”

“You’re too tense, Ken.”

McKenly laughed. “Yeah, well, it’s not like I have the money or time to get a professional massage.” She paused. “And before you even think about it, your hands will not be touching my body in that way.”

Dean laughed. “How’d you know that’s what I was thinking?”

“I know you too damn well.”

Dean placed McKenly in the backseat of the car.

She pushed her way to the other side of the car so Dean could sit next to her after he’d retrieved the first aid kit from the glove compartment. McKenly had her leg over Dean’s lap so that he could stitch it up.

“Okay, here’s where Dad went.” Sam said, from the passenger seat, showing and pointing to the spot he found on a map. “Blackwater Ridge, Colorado.”

Dean nodded, wrapping the gauze around her leg. “Sound’s charming.”

“How far is it?” McKenly asked, wincing as Dean tightened the fabric.

“About six hundred miles.”

Dean nodded to Sam. “Hey, if we shag ass, we could make it by morning.”

Sam looked back at Dean, smiling, but hesitating. “Dean, I, um…”

As Dean taped the gause down, McKenly looked to Sam and his facial expression. “He’s not coming, Dean.” She pointed out, looking to him.

Dean looked to her for a second then to Sam.

“The interview is in, like, ten hours. I gotta be there.”

Dean nodded. He removed McKenly’s leg from his lap and put it in his place after he’d exited the vehicle to go to the driver’s seat. “Alright then. Lets get you home.” Dean started the car and it roared to life before Dean quickly pulled away from the Welch house.

McKenly knew that Dean was disappointed. She could see that Dean wanted to spend more time with his brother. McKenly reached a hand out to place a comforting grip on Dean’s shoulder.

Dean looked back at her in the rearview mirror.

McKenly showed him a one-sided smile, which he returned. She dropped her hand into her lap and put her head against the window, enjoying the cool feeling from it. McKenly stared out the window at all the green that passed quickly. It all turned into a blur as she dozed off to sleep.

!@#$#@!

“Ken.” Sam said, gently, shaking McKenly’s knee that wasn’t on her hurt leg. “Hey we’re almost there.”

McKenly opened her eyes, examining her surroundings. She had slid down so that she laid completely on the back seat. McKenly sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

Ten minutes later, Dean pulled up to the apartment. He still had the sour look on his face from when Sam said that he wasn’t going to Colorado.

McKenly sighed and pulled herself into the passenger seat once Sam was clear of it.

Sam leaned in the window. “Call me if you find him?”

McKenly crossed her arms over her chest as she felt a feeling she had felt the first time Sam had left them. She nodded anyway.

“And maybe I can meet up with you later, huh? Get another gig. The three of us. Maybe four of us. It’ll be like when we were little.” Sam smiled.

Dean and McKenly didn’t. McKenly was bitter about Sam leaving again. She had to bite her lip to keep from saying anything that she would regret.

“Yeah, alright.” Dean said, not looking back to Sam.

Sam pat the car door and turned away, walking to the apartment building.

Dean leaned over with a hand on the seat between him and McKenly, so he could see Sam through the window. “Sam?” Dean called, making Sam stop and turn in his place. “You know, we made a hell of a team back there.” He said.

McKenly smiled and put one of her hands over his.

Dean looked to it and smiled.

“Yeah, we did.” Sam admitted.

McKenly watched as Sam went into his apartment building. She felt something different in the pit of her stomach as Dean drove away, so she kept her hand over his.

Dean let out a breath. “Guess it’s just you and me again.”

McKenly nodded, staring out the windshield.

“Unless, you wanna go to?” He asked.

McKenly looked to him and smiled, shaking her head. “I like this life.”

“Good.”

The feeling McKenly felt, grew stronger and she almost felt as if her stomach was on fire. “Dean, could you drive back around. I’m not feeling too well. Something’s wrong.”

Dean nodded, doing an illegal u-turn. “You alright?” He asked, with worry in his voice, earning a nod from McKenly. “What is it then?”

McKenly shook her head. “I don’t know. I just have this awful feeling. I think Sam might be in trouble.” This caused Dean to push a little harder on his gas pedal.

“Are you sure about this feeling, Ken?” Dean questioned to clarify. “I don’t wanna bust in on my little brother bangin’ his girl. Talk about sights you can’t un-see.”

“Has my gut ever been wrong?”

“Not yet.”

“Then we need to get up there. Now.” McKenly pushed out of the door before Dean could stop the car and turn it off. She quickly limped up the stairs as fast as she could. It was then that Dean had the chance to catch up to her. “Besides, do you think that I would want to see that? God, I’ve spent so much time with the kid, he’s practically my brother.”

“What about me?” Dean asked while McKenly knelt down to pick the lock on the door. “I mean, you spend a lot of time with me, too. Am I a brother to you?”

“Nah, you’re just my best friend. It’s different with you.” McKenly insisted, getting a weird look from Dean. “I don’t know, Dean. It’s complicated. We’ve known each other since we were tykes. I know everything there is to know about you.”

Before Dean could respond, the two heard a scream from Sam.

McKenly threw the door open and ran towards the bedroom.

Dean was faster than her because of McKenly’s hurt leg, but she had managed to stay closely behind him. Dean burst through the bedroom door to see Sam on the bed, staring at the ceiling, screaming at it.

The two followed the younger boy’s eyes and saw that Jessica was burning on the ceiling.

McKenly stood at the door in awe, unsure of what she should do. She continued to stare, unaware of the things that were happening around her. Suddenly, Sam’s girlfriend turned into McKenly’s parents and she was three years old again, crying on her bed. McKenly watched as her parents burned up, their skin bubbling against the fire, just like the accident she had on the case before Constance. She felt her own arm burn, but she couldn’t move to make it feel better.

McKenly didn’t notice when Dean pushed Sam out the door and down the stairs. She didn’t notice Dean going back up the stairs for her, shaking her to get her attention. McKenly hardly even noticed Dean pick her up over his shoulder, running down the flights of stairs to get her out of the building, pushing Sam with his other arm.

The three of them were outside. Dean had placed McKenly into the back seat of the car with the door open. He knelt in front of her, trying to get her to say something.

McKenly’s eyes were still glued to the fire that had begun coming out of the bedroom window. She saw her parents, begging for her help, but she couldn’t help them.

“McKenly!” Dean shouted, shaking McKenly’s shoulder hard to pull her from her trance. He paused to look at her.

McKenly swallowed the lump in her throat, feeling Dean hand on her face, wiping away a tear. Her eyes finally strayed from the fire to meet Dean’s. “Dean?” she questioned, her voice cracking. McKenly was crying. She lifted her own hand to her face, wiping away more tears.

Dean grabbed McKenly’s shoulders, pulling her into him, hugging her tightly.

“What the hell just happened?”

“It was him, Ken. The thing that killed our parents. It kill Jess.” He pulled away with his hands on her shoulders. “I don’t know why it’s doing this.”

McKenly shook her head, pushing Dean out of her way so she could stand up from the car. She walked over to what had become a crime scene since the fire department arrived. McKenly hardly noticed anything but that room.

Dean followed her. As they approached the caution tape, he paid special attention to her to make sure that she didn’t go under it and run back up to the room. Dean held her by her elbow so that she couldn’t go anywhere.

McKenly had actually contemplated going back to the room. She wasn’t sure why or what was telling her to do so, but it was strong. Eventually, she blocked the urge from her mind and leaned into Dean.

Dean’s arm went around her shoulders and hers went under his jacket behind his back. He kissed the side of her head and moved to whisper in her ear. “What happened to you up there, Ken?”

McKenly shrugged and turned her body so that she was hugging Dean again.

Dean held her shoulders, continuing to talk to her. “C’mon, don’t give me that shit. You could fool Sam with that, but not me. I know you too well.”

McKenly sighed. “It was them.” She said, quietly into his chest. “On the ceiling, it was them all over again. I didn’t see Jess. I saw my mom and my dad.” McKenly felt Dean’s hold on her tighten. “They kept screaming at me, begging me to help them. I couldn’t help them.”

Dean turned, leading McKenly back to the Impala. He kept her latched to him, not wanting to let go. “You gotta believe me when I say, there was nothing that you could have done, Ken. You were just a kid.” He comforted. “We’ll find whatever it is.”

“I know.”

“In the meantime, you’ve got your best friend to protect you.”

“I know how to use a shotgun. You don’t need to protect me.”

“I know, but I want to.”

McKenly looked up to see that Dean was smiling at her. She nodded and looked at the back of the Impala, seeing Sam load his own shotgun. “How is he?”

Dean shook his head, unsure. “I know he won’t talk about it.”

“I feel terrible.”

Dean nodded. “We gotta get some sleep. You and Sam especially.”

“We should stop somewhere.” McKenly agreed. “Sam should stay for the funeral. You think we could spring that?”

Dean nodded again. The two of them joined Sam at the trunk of the car.

Sam finished loading his gun and dropped it in the mess. “We got work to do.” Sam said, closing the false bottom and shutting the trunk.

“We agree.” Dean said. “But, Sam, we all need some sleep. It’s been a long day.”

Sam looked to Dean with a look that proved to both McKenly and Dean that sleeping was the exact opposite of what Sam wanted to do.

“We can stay here for a few days.” McKenly encouraged. “Maybe you can stop by for the funeral.” McKenly’s eyes met Sam’s as she practically begged him with the look.

Sam nodded. “Alright.

All three climbed into the car, Sam taking the backseat behind Dean.

Dean drove with one hand on the steering wheel and the other arm around McKenly’s shoulders. She was tucked into him with her head laying on his shoulder.

As soon as they got a cheap room, McKenly changed quickly and threw herself onto a bed. She looked around the room, noticing Sam on the other bed with his dad’s journal.

Dean checked the room, making sure everything was locked up tight. When he was done, he looked to McKenly, questioningly.

McKenly figured he was asking if she wanted him to sleep with her. She nodded and moved the sheets from the other side of the bed out of the way for him. Both ignored Sam’s strange look as they turned their backs to him.

Dean laid down with his arms around McKenly.

McKenly felt his breath on the back of her neck and focused on it until she drifted quickly to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! I’m sad to say I have yet to have any commenters. Sure there are readers and subscribers, but no commenters yet. I’m hoping that will change. I love my silent readers even if they’re silent.