Status: One and Done

Untitled

1/1

Erik Karlsson stopped dead in his tracks and stared.

Open mouth, jaw to the ground, wide eye staring.

It was not an attractive look he knew, but there was no other way to respond to the giant beast of a dog tied to the lamppost outside his favorite Ottawa coffee shop, wearing a sweater, winter scarf and hat, sitting obediently and ignoring all of the people passing by.

A dog he knew. A dog he had picked out as a puppy and given as a gift the year before. It knocked him on his ass. Which is exactly what happened when he tripped over his own feet a moment later and fell into the damp snow.

He muttered a curse in Swedish and the dog looked over at him. He let out a happy bark as he stood, wagging his tail and looking at Erik expectantly.

"Hey, Linus," he said as he found his footing and stood. "Long time no see, big guy." He stepped closer and let out an amused chuckle. The patterned hat was tied under his chin and the scarf was wrapped once and looped loosely through itself. The fleece sweater he wore looked vaguely like it had come from the kids department of a store, which it probably had since Linus was a rust colored French mastiff who had to weigh close to 150 pounds by now.

Emily Randolph saw the man approach her dog but knew Linus would do nothing except maybe lick him to death. Despite his size, Linus was nothing but a gentle giant. She had wanted a French mastiff of her own for years and when she got him as a puppy, it had made her life. Linus was the best companion a girl could ask for, infinitely better than the last man in her life at least. And he let her dress him in a winter hat and scarf without ever once trying to get the articles of clothing off.

Emily stepped out of the coffee shop just as the man reached out to scratch Linus under the chin. She watched him squat down and then she heard him. The soft, Swedish words that tumbled out made her stop in the doorway.

"Erik?" She asked when her feet finally responded to her brain again and moved towards him. It had been five months since the last time she had seen him. Five months to think back over their year long relationship and everything she had thought it meant. She thought she was over it but seeing him now made her realize she wasn't.

Erik stood and turned to see her. Emily was everything he remembered and then some. "Hey, Ems," he responded, lifting his hand in greeting. "You're back. In Ottawa I mean."

"I was only gone a week."

"But you...I haven't seen you around."

"I don't live anywhere near you and I don't go to your games. Why would you see me?"

"I sent your things to your moms, like you asked though."

"And then I had her send them to me."

"You're not living back home?"

"No."

"He's huge," he said, looking down at Linus with a smile. He had been a sixty plus pound puppy when Erik adopted him and surprised her with him as a Christmas present.

"He's almost eighteen months now. 146 pounds."

"You weren't kidding when you told me he was going to be big."

"Mini horse," she smiled. "Still a big baby."

"I see that," he replied as Linus nuzzled his hand, demanding attention.

"Isn't the team on the road right now?" Emily asked.

"You follow us?"

"No," she replied quickly with a blush.

"I'm just a little banged up from our last game. No big deal."

"They said you were fine..." She trailed off.

"You know they never fully disclose an injury. Think I've got a concussion so they're being cautious."

"A concussion? Erik," she started, taking a step towards him before quickly realizing what she was doing and taking two steps back. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, just some headaches but they haven't bothered me in a few days. I'm going to see a doctor; hoping he clears me and I can fly out and join the team in Buffalo."

She nodded as she moved towards Linus, unwinding his leash. "It was nice to see you. I hope you're able to get back on the ice soon." She started away from him and he watched her go before calling out her name and hurrying after her.

She stopped to wait for him. The last thing she wanted on her conscience was that the Senators handsome captain had further injured himself chasing after her and taking a spill on an errant patch of ice on the sidewalk.

Erik continued in his rush towards her, thinking about when he had first met her. His marriage had been over since before he came back to Ottawa prior to the season before and had been finalized only a few days prior to his meeting Emily. She had been so unlike his ex, and she made him feel like living again. That feeling hit him hard upon seeing her exit the coffee shop. Fate might have brought him to this moment and he wasn't going to let it pass him by.

He grabbed her around the middle when he reached her, pulling her body to his. She let out a gasp just before he lowered his lips to hers. "I miss you," he murmured against her cheek before he nuzzled his face into the crook of her neck . "I need you. I love you, Emily."

"Erik..." Her voice was soft and far away as she pulled back from him.

"You left and didn't let me explain."

"I didn't need you to explain. You were very clear."

"I was wrong."

"You asked me to move in with you and on the day I did, you told me we were moving too fast, even though we had been dating for a year. Even though you had met my family. Even though you took me with you to Sweden that summer and I met your family. Yeah, we were absolutely moving too fast."

Her tone was biting and it tore at him. He had caused her so much pain and hurt, over nothing but his own insecurities. In August, just weeks before their anniversary, he asked her to move in and he had thought it was the right step. They had been seeing each other for nearly a year and he loved her. It felt right.

But in September, as he helped her pack up her apartment and moved a few of her things during the month, he started having second thoughts. His failed marriage left behind a lot of self doubt and her things in his space started to feel claustrophobic. He told himself it wasn't the same, that Emily was different, but on that day at the end of the month, as the movers he hired pulled up in front of his home, he told her that he didn't think it was a good idea to move in together.

"I freaked out, Ems, and I was wrong. I was scared, scared I'd mess it up, scared what we had would be ruined. It was dumb and stupid and I regret it, so much."

"You haven't called."

"You changed your number."

"How do you....you tried to call?"

"Yeah, I did. Because I'm miserable. I screwed up. I was wrong. And stupid. And dumb."

"You said that already."

"I miss talking to you, and having you be there after a game for me. I miss going to the dog park with Linus, and him hogging the bed. I didn't want things to end up like they did with my ex and... I didn't want things between us to end up like that."

"Yet that's how things ended up between us."

"I know."

"Why didn't you tell me you were scared? We could have talked about it, together."

"Could you...I mean, would you maybe give me another chance? I still want you to move in with me."

She smiled sadly and reached to touch his cheek. He leaned into her touch as she cupped his face. "We can't jump back into what we had, Erik. It wouldn't work."

"You're seeing someone?"

"I'm not seeing anyone. Are you?"

He shook his head. "I can't. Not when you're all I want."

"Do you want to get dinner tonight?"

"Really?" He said hopefully.

"Really. We can stay in if you want. I'll cook."

"I miss your cooking."

"Because you're a terrible cook."

"I'm not terrible."

"But you're not great either," she smiled. "We can talk about everything tonight, okay?"

"Okay."

"You have to be a hundred percent honest with me."

"I will, as long as you are with me."

"You know I will be."

"So what are we then?"

"I'll let you know before the nights over but I've got a good feeling, Erik Karlsson. Because I still love you too."

"You do?"

"I do."

Seven months later, in August, with Linus beside them, they were two words she repeated to him.

FIN