Sequel: The Last Sunrise

Monster

Devan's Missing

"Do you remember what we taught you?" Jared asks Alex.

"Kind of," He says. "But I want to try something my own way." We all split up and I stay with Alex to make sure he doesn't get his ass kicked. I watch as he watches for his prey, setting his sight on a 17-year-old looking girl. He walks up to her and smiles.

"Are you new here?" He asks.

"Yeah, how did you know?" She asks.

"I haven't seen you here before. My name's Jonathan." He holds out his hand for her to shake it.

"I'm Autumn," She smiles, shaking his hand. "Who's this?" She asks looking at me.

"Oh, I'm...Cade." I lie. We all smile and act adorable as I roll my eyes on the inside at her stupidity. We both play along to get her to trust us.

"Hey, I know this really cool place that we can go. It's not far from here and you can really see the moon clearly. Want to come with us?" He asks looking cute and innocent.

"Ohmigoodness, sure!" She says and I nearly puke. I study Alex as he takes her hand so he doesn't lose her in the mess of people on the sidewalk. He slips his hand into mine and give me that smile with those eyes that tell me he loves me. I just smile back and watch as we turn down an alleyway. It's pitch black and only we can see where we're going. we change in the dark and start growling quietly to scare her.

"Guys, where are we?" She asks.

"Vegas." Alex says and I nearly burst out laughing at his smart ass answer.

"No shit, Sherlock. Where are we going?" She asks.

"Well, I can tell you what we're going to do and where you'll probably go-"

"Please don't rape me!" She begs, almost in tears. I look at Alex, not being able to hold it in anymore and burst out laughing.

"Is this a joke?" She asks.

"No, you're the joke, Autumn. You humans are disgusting." He says and takes a chunk out of her neck. She screeches out a scream and I slap my hand over her mouth. She tries to smack Alex off her but he just snaps her neck and kills her, continuing to drink. Once he's done, he wipes his mouth clean and we leave her body there and walk out of the alleyway.

"You did really good." I say.

"Thanks!" He smiles.

"For an amateur." I add quietly.

"Hey, I heard that!" He giggles and gives me a kiss. "I learn from the best." He says, looking into my eyes.

"Awwwwww!" Jared says walking behind us.

"Ah, shut up." I say dryly and we walk together.

"I don't know where Devan is. He should be back by now. We split up twenty minutes ago...It doesn't take that long to find someone, feed, and pray for them."

"Hmph, that is weird." I say, trying to think of where he could be. "Maybe he's in the desert?"

"We've made an oath not to go out there by ourselves." Jared says. "If he did, then our oath is broken, we have no more friendship, and I kick him out of the house."

"God, that's harsh but strict." I say.

"Yeah, I was raised in a strict house. Too bad I won't be able to have kids of my own to boss around." Jared says looking at the ground.

"But hey, we're 17 forever!" Alex exclaims happily.

"Yeah, but when you leave Vegas, you're not!" Some random person yells at us.

"Ah, fuck you!" I yell to them and flip them the bird. We keep walking around until the sun starts to rise.

"So, where's Devan?" Alex asks.

"I don't know. I can't find him. But we've got to run home or we'll die." Jared says. "Maybe he's there."

"Alright," I say and turn back home thinking to myself that one of us should've went with him to make sure he was okay.

We get back home and check the whole house for Devan and close all the curtains but nobody's there.

"Damn, where could he be?" I ask.

"Does he have a cell phone?" Alex asks.

"Yeah, but I've called him about twenty times already and he hasn't answered...I hope he's okay." Jared bites his lip and sits in a chair at the kitchen table.

"Don't worry, we'll find him." I say.

"I try to keep my hopes up but..." Jared paused, almost in tears.

"What?" I ask.

Jared looks in my eyes. "We had sex," He whispers. "And I enjoyed it. Billy, I think I'm in love." Alex and I stand there, shocked and don't know what to say.

"Jared, I-" I try to find words to say.

"We're sorry." Alex says. "We'll find him."

"I know what it's like to lose someone." I say. "I'm not trying to say that you lost him but if, by any chance, we don't find him, we'll be right here for you." I kneel down and kiss his forehead. Alex and I find seat to sit in and we wait.

After sunset, we go in search of Devan.