Sequel: The Last Sunrise

Monster

HUMANS!!!

I look around and see Alex next to me screaming and I roll over on top of him to shade him. Yeah, it hurt me more but I'd rather die happy to know I attempted to save him. Devan pushes Jared on top of me and he pushes us into shade. All we see is a circle of sunlight that we just came out of. I hate the sun. He got most of the sunlight. His skin's almost black and steaming. I actually feel really bad.

"Devan!" Jared yells and hugs him.

"Ow!" Devan yells and winces in pain.

"I'm sorry." Jared says and quickly pulls away. Devan doesn't look all that well.

"Devan? Are you okay?" Jared asks quietly. All we hear is his wheezing and I don't think we can help. He looks very weak.

"Does he maybe need blood?" I ask and look around for an animal.

"He might." Jared says. He turns back to Devan.

"Devan, sweetie, wait here. We'll be right back." Jared kisses his forehead and searches for an animal with me. Alex stays with Devan while we search. We find an animal but it's in the sunlight and we can't go back out there.

"This sucks! We'll never find something in time!" Jared says and next, we hear a scream.

"Alex?" I say to Jared and we look at each other for a minute, then run. "Alex!" I yell as we run and stop when we see Devan walking in the sunlight.

"What the-"

"Fuck?" Jared finishes my sentence.

"What happened?" I ask. Alex sits there with wide eyes like he did something and he hides his left arm behind his body.

"Alex, what happened?" I ask. "I didn't mean to!" He yells and bursts into tears. He shows us a slit in his wrist that he was hiding from us.

"You gave him your blood?" Jared asks. Alex nods slowly and looks down in guilt.

"Alex, that's freaking amazing!" I yell and run to him, squeezing him into a hug.

"You can bring the dead back to life!" I yell and kiss his forehead. He smiles like a little kid getting a gold star on their homework and hugs me back. Jared just stands there staring at Devan. Devan looks back at him. They stare at each other for a little while until Jared makes up his mind.

"How did you do that?" He asks Alex.

"You said he needed blood so I gave him mine." Alex says.

"I've always wanted to feel the sunlight on my skin once more." Jared says.

"Well, here!" Alex shoves his wrist up and Jared bends down, taking in very little blood to keep Alex alive. Something happens and Jared smiles.

"I can feel the warmth." Jared says. "I can feel the warm breeze in my face." He smiles. He walks, slowly, out of the shade and Devan smiles.

"I've missed this." Devan says.

"I've missed you." Jared says.

"What are you talking about?"

"Devan, remember that one night we-" Jared cut himself off. I don't think he knows how to explain it. "Devan, I love you." He says. Devan looks uneasy.

"What's wrong?" Jared asks.

"Nothing, it's just - I don't want to get rejected for loving someone."

"I really don't think we'll go to Hell for one little kiss." Jared says.

"You know what? Screw this crap. I'm going antitheistic." Devan smiles and wraps his arms around Jared. "I love you too, Jared." He says. They share one kiss and next, we hear a loud bang. I look around and see Devan drop to the ground.

"Oh, my God!" Jared screams. Another bang and Jared falls to the ground. I grab Alex's arm and pull him close to me.

"That's fucking sick!" A man walks out of the forest.

"You're vampires, for Christ's sake!" The man yells. Jared and Devan aren't. Jared gets up and runs, tackling the man to the ground. He grabs the man's gun and hits him in the face with the handle, knocking him out. Devan and Jared walk into the shade and sit with us.

"I don't know how it works, but I am very thankful for this." Jared says.

"No problem." Alex says tiredly.

"We should get you some blood." I say. Jared turns around and grabs the man who shot at them. He drags him over to us.

"Are you two okay?" I ask.

"Yeah, we were faking it. It's this safety thing we practiced so if someone really was shooting at us, they'd think we're dead nd then we can kick their asses." Jared smiles. I smile and Alex digs in. Someone must've been hungry. I think to myself and smile. He's just too cute. He offers me some and I take it. I feel a little tired, myself. We finish him off and sit there until the sun sets. I want to get home fast so I pick up Jared and Alex picks up Devan and we run back to the house, just a blur to everyone.

"I'm so glad we're home!" I exclaim, collapsing onto the couch. Alex shuts all the curtains so we don't wake up screaming and watch TV. We cuddle on the couch and after a while I look around.

"What is it?" Alex asks.

"Where's Jared and Devan?" I ask.

I should've never asked because the next thing we know we're hearing "Oh, Devan! Don't stop! Please, don't stop!" from the basement.

"Did I have to ask?" I ask myself. Alex giggles and shut off the TV.

"I think they have a great idea." He says and sits on me, straddling me. Our eyes lock for a second before we attack each other and end up on the floor.