Sequel: The Last Sunrise

Monster

In Search of Billy

"What do you mean, 'he ran off'?" I yell after Jared and Devan tell me Billy's gone.

"Alex, we told you," Jared says, trying to calm me down. "We tried to help him but he kept screaming 'no' and then ran off."

"Do you know why he ran off?" I ask. So many thoughts are running through my head right now.

"I don't know," Jared says, rubbing his temples with his fingers. "He said he was a monster and we asked him why and he started backing away. Then he like, zoned out or something and and then started screaming 'no'. Is there something we should know?"

"I don't even know what's going on so how could I explain it to you?" I glance at the clock and notice it's 6:30. "The sun is rising." I say, half to myself, half to Jared and Devan. Then I give them my full attention. "Are you fully changed yet?" I ask.

"I'm getting a slight craving right now." Devan says. I look at Jared. He walks over to the window and and spreads 2 blinds apart with his fingers and peak out. He stumbles back with an 'Ah' and the blinds snap back shut.

"I am too." He says.

"So he could be burning outside and we won't be able to save him?" I ask, thinking of death.
Death. It comes to all of us sooner or later. It happens to everyone and 'releases the sufferer into complete heavenly happiness'. I happens in many ways. Tragic, hapilly, suicide, love, sacrafice. It all comes down on us whether we want it or not. How you cope with it makes it better or worse.

I try to cope. But I think of all the fun we had together and what I will do when he's gone. My eyes fill with tears and I try to hold it back but my breathing increases rapidly and I think to myself Jared and Devan are about to witness a meltdown.

Billy's P.O.V.

I smell burning flesh before I feel it. I wince at the pain and try to keep going but I can't.

"It hurts," I cry to myself. "Oh, God, please kill me now." I start sobbing at the pain and fall to the ground. Why did I have to run so far? I ask myself and lay there while the sun rises and takes my body away.

But then, I think of Alex. I think of what his 'mirage' said and all we've been through together; I can't throw it all away now. I get up and continue walking while the sun burns my back.
By the time I get inside, if they even let me in, I should have second degree burns. But I'll still have my Alex.

Jared's P.O.V.

We sit next to Alex and comfort him while he just lets everything out. All the drama that's been happening lately, the possibility that Billy might be dead, everything. He just sits there and sobs uncontrollably while Devon and I rub his back.

"It's okay, ALex," Devan says. "He's a strong kid. I'm sure he'll be fine."

"The sun is rising!" Alex screams, still sobbing. "How is he going to be strong and fine is the sun is rising?"

"Calm down, Alex. Calm down." I say and pat his back lightly. "Just take deep breaths and don't worry."

"FUCK THAT!" He screams and violently shakes his shoulders to get our hands off. He gets off the bed and storms out the door. I let out a sigh and look at Devan.

"Maybe he's right." I say and Devan's eyebrows stitch together.

"What do you mean?"

"What if Billy really is..." I don't want to say it but Devan finishes my sentence.

"Dead?" He pauses. "I don't think he is, and if he is, I don't know how we'll be able to deal with it. But he's too strong, too headstrong, and too in love to let everything go." He looks at the light switch on the wall, studying its figure and says, "I don't think he's dead."
It takes me a few moment to ingest all of this before I realize he's right.

"Devan, you're a genious," I say and grab his hand. "And that's why I love you."

"Awww, I love you, too." He says and kisses my cheek.

We get up and walk out to see Alex on the couch, still crying. Devan sits down next to him and rubs his back lightly and Alex's cries turn into little whines, showing he's still hurt but running out of tears.

"Alex, we think he's alive. We think he's fine. And if he does let go, then he's a stupid, inconsiderate, selfish, self-centered asshole." Alex lets out a short chuckle and then sniffles. "After all you two have been through, why throw it all away now?" Alex wipes his tears away boyishly and rubs his eyes.

"You look like you could get some rest." I say and Alex nods. Devan grabs his arm and guides him to the bedroom, resting his hand on Alex's back. Just as they turn into the bedroom and close the door, I hear a thump coming from the front door. It sounds as if someone threw a body at the door...wait a minute.

I run to the front door and pull it open and see Billy's burnt body lying there. He looks up at me with pleading eyes filled with tears.

"Holy shit."
♠ ♠ ♠
The end is closer than you think.