Like You Do

new life

march 19th, 2013

_____

Leaning back in my chair, I clasped my hands behind my head and let my eyes close for a moment. Instant, searing pain invaded my dry eyeballs and I knew I'd been staring at my computer monitor for too long. Sighing, I moved my hands to my eyes, pushing up my glasses and rubbing mercilessly until tears sprung forth to soothe the mini deserts in my skull.

The rustle of bedsheets met my ears and I swivelled in my seat, looking over at my bed where Genevieve lay, curled in a ball, her mouth wide open as she snored noiselessly and drooled onto the long, brown curls that sprawled out on my pillow. I choked back my laughter, knowing that even the slightest noise would wake her, and twirled back around to face my desk again, reaching for my headphones and adjusting them over my ears. I snuck a glance at the clock in the corner of my computer monitor.

1:52A.M. Guess that means she's staying over. I rolled my eyes and smiled sadly to myself. It wasn't a new or uncommon thing for Gee to crash here. It had been happening on a regular basis for almost two years.

I returned to the video editing that had been interrupted just hours before, cutting out the superfluous bits of extra, boring footage and smoothing out the flubs in the audio. I let the process sweep me away, let it take my brain and whisk it away. It was like second nature or instinct to me now. Nothing could distract me once I was in the flow of things...

... Save for my ravenously growling stomach. Shit. I stopped mid-keystroke to clutch it with my right arm as hunger pains shot through me like lightning. Removing my headphones as quickly as I could, I pushed my chair back and stood, padding on bare feet across the room to my door, being careful to close it quietly behind me as I slipped out into the narrow, picture-cluttered hallway.

Shuffling my way into the dark kitchen, I reached the fridge and opened it, retrieving the milk that was stashed behind a questionably dated Tupperware container filled with green mush that may have once been meatloaf.

Setting the milk down on the island to my left, I reached up to grab a bowl from the open shelving above the fridge, which I set beside the milk before moving to the pantry and going for the prize: a brand new, unopened box of Reeses' Puffs.

Knowing that I would have the pleasure of experiencing that first, virgin spoonful made my stomach growl once again, and I hurried back to the island, opening the box on my way.

_____

Five minutes and one full bowl of Puffs later, and I was sitting on the kitchen counter, my second bowl in my hands, swinging my legs as I contemplated everything that had been said between Gee and I not even twelve hours ago.

Her being accepted to U.C. Phenomenal. A great opportunity. But I had never doubted that she'd get accepted.

In fact, I had hoped she would. Getting out of Ohio, away from that aunt of hers, would do her some real good.

And, she'll be in L.A. Right there with you.

I chewed a mouthful of cereal thoughtfully. Blurting out "you'll know me" and sounding like a total weirdo creep was not how I had planned on telling her that I was looking at places for myself in L.A.

The decision to move to L.A. had been solidified 6 months ago. It was best for networking, for my career. It was what I needed to pursue the course that I had chosen. I just hadn't quite worked out the details yet on how to tell her.

I guess they worked themselves out for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
World's most boring chapter alert.

Poor Mark. He thought of moving to L.A. first. And she stole his idea. Hipster.