Status: New Story!

Edge of Our Dreams

The Ladder

“Oh come on now, this is not the time!” Lilly groaned as her phone started to vibrate in her pocket. She hopped off the bus and moved out the way of other bus goers before fishing her phone out and answering.

“You are coming right?”

“Hi to you too Taylor,”

“No time for pleasantries, far too much work to do to be ready for tonight!” Taylor snapped back, Lilly heard banging which sounded like footsteps and then Taylor shouting get out the way at some unlucky person. “Fucking London and the fucking tourists!”

“On your way home?”

“Yes, had to pick up some stuff from boots, but I’m finally ready, to at least start getting ready!”

“God you are making this sound epic,”

“Lilly it is!” Taylor screeched down the phone. “I want a permeant job, not this ad hoc lecturing and organising theatres crap, the people I meet tonight could decide my future! Plus, your boy is there, and I am hoping that he-”

“What?”

“What, What?”

“MY boy?!”

“Hiddleston,”

“What about him?”

“He’s the entertainment for the night?” Lilly stopped dead in the street. “Lilly? Are you listening?”

“He’s the what?” She almost whispered. “He didn’t say anything,”

“Did you?”

“No,”

“Well there you go dipshit, if you don’t say anything he won’t!” Taylor sounded even more exasperated than when she had started this conversation.

“But he knows I work there!” Lilly groaned. “My outfit what if-“

“Don’t even go there, I will have you looking a million dollars when the show is finished, just don’t let him see you beforehand!”

“Yes mam!” Lilly stopped on the kerb as a cyclist sped around the corner shouting at her to get off the
phone.

“Stupid fucking tourists!” The scream down the phone made Lilly smile.

“Hey Taylor,”

“Yeah?”

“Don’t let me mess up tonight,”

“Never sweetie, never, now go make that pretty ass of yours stage ready!” Lilly ended the phone call and sighed. She hadn’t even thought Tom would turn up at the event tonight, it was a fundraising event where a group of students would be showing off a production they’d been working on that would be put on in the summer gala. But tonight was almost like a dress rehearsal. There were drinks before and afterwards and everyone was expected to attend. However, Taylor was stage managing so she’d roped Sarah and Lilly in to help backstage, then their boss had told them they had to attend drinks afterwards looking presentable. The demands were never ending.

She flicked through her messages debating whether to text Tom or not. She showed some restraint for the first time and didn’t text him, she’d see him tonight and maybe the surprise would be a good idea. Only if he saw her afterwards, not when she was a hot mess backstage. He’d been away again, since the night that started with a bath and ended with a hot water bottle, they’d spent a week almost inseparable. He’d even come over for takeaway night, in which he’d marvelled at Sarah’s desert eating abilities and Lilly’s love of pizza. He’d stayed over.

But when that week drew to an end he had to go travelling again, this time America, he’d be over there for two weeks. She’d yet to see him since he’d come back and now it was Thursday and they had yet to make any plans; maybe he knew he was coming to this and would see her here anyway. Or maybe he just didn’t have time this week, maybe he’d got bored, maybe he’d found someone else, maybe…

She stopped herself from going there, she needed a good slap sometimes.

And then from the moment she put her phone back in her pocket her life was all go again, and she barely had time to worry about Tom. Let alone their relationship.
Taylor had phoned twice more remaindering her about her all black for before and stunningly beautiful for the party; not that she needed reminding every five seconds. Sarah had stumbled through the door screaming that she’d ordered a cab and that Lilly’s arse better be ready in 10 minutes tops. Needless to say 10 minutes later and they were both turning the apartment upside down for Sarah’s missing keys.

They were half an hour late when they’d arrived to set up and Taylor was already on the war path with nearly every member of her cast, plus lighting manager and the girls. It took mere seconds for Taylor to set them off on different jobs before people started to arrive at 7:30pm.

Lilly hid behind the curtains just watching the scene unfold. He took photos with everyone, flashing the beautiful smile, and turning on the charm. He elegantly swooped around, with purpose and meaning but in no rush. She watched him air kiss girls, hands on their waist and lots of laughter.

“What are you doing?”

“Shit!” She screeched grabbing hold of the curtain to catch her balance. “What are you doing?” She hissed at Taylor who appeared behind her.

“Looking for you,” She muttered peering through the gap in the curtain. “Oh thank fuck he is here!”

“He’s here,” Lilly whispered taking a deep breath in before letting out a long sigh. Taylor just rolled her eyes, she was not going to be sympathetic today.

“Well go and get him then,”

“What?”

“Go and get your fucking boyfriend and get him backstage!” Taylor hissed at her giving her a small push but getting nowhere. “Lilly!”

“No way!”

“What?”

“Look out there Taylor! He looks amazing, like a fucking Disney prince, and here I am in jeans covered in make up and a top covered in dust, my hair pulled up in a messy something or other, and I bet my face is red!” Taylor rolled her eyes and shook her head. Yes her face was red but now really was not the time for harsh truths.

“Lilly he likes you, he doesn’t care what you look like,”

“Compared to the vogue models out there he does!”

“Go! I’m not taking any more fucking excuses, backstage 10 minutes!” Sometimes Taylor’s tough love was what you needed, other times maybe not! Lilly took in a deep breath and stepped into the crowd; no one noticed her. She slipped through the crowds, towards Tom, she’d already picked him out and was focusing on his tall frame to get her through. In her head everyone was watching her, waiting for her to slip up, to make a fool of herself.

In reality none of that was happening they couldn’t care less who she was.

“Tom,” She reached him pressing her hand against his upper arm, encased in a smart blue suit jacket. He was talking to two women, and a man, one of the woman looked over Tom’s shoulder and glanced at Lilly before shaking her head and going back to the conversation. “Tom,” He turned and beamed at her.

“Hello you!” He put an arm around her waist and hugged her. He leant down to kiss her but she turned so he hit her cheek.

“You’re needed back stage,” Tom gazed at her for a few seconds, before nodding and returning to full beaming smile; something was up.

“Well I better get moving,” He turned back to the others and said goodbyes, as they bid him good luck. As soon as he was ready Lilly set off towards the back-stage entrance, Tom took big strides just to keep up. “Hey speedy gonazalas slow down,” He caught her arm and pulled her back as they got past the crowds and were in an empty lobby. “Lilly,”

“What?” She heard her tone and cringed. “Sorry,”

“What is wrong?” He questioned keeping her hand linked with his.

“I’m just feeling a little stupid,” She muttered as he raised his eyebrows.

“What? Why?”

“Tom!” They both turned hearing the voice, one of the Dean’s at RADA was walking towards them.
“Lilly,” He looked at Lilly. “You backstage tonight?”

“Yes,” She smiled politely at him.

“Well you better get back there, Taylor is already whipping everyone into a frenzy, I’ll sort Tom out don’t you worry,” Lilly just nodded, looking at Tom for a split second before darting off, she could see the question and concern in his eyes.

“Lilly can you grab the spare pins from my bag,” Sarah shouted when she finally saw Lilly appear backstage. She was quickly thrown back into the manic preparation behind stage and not given a second to think about Tom. Or at least that was the aim. And it half worked, the girls had her doing all sorts of odd jobs and they left the worst to last.

“I am serious Taylor is taller than me, and you are! And yet I am the one up this ladder trying to reach the box,” It was only 10 minutes before curtains up and Sarah had Lilly looking for some old costumes that she could use to repair a rip in a dress.

“Hey I’m holding the ladder,” Sarah replied looking around as more people started walking back stage.

“She’s around here somewhere, she was meant to get you but-“

“Oh she did, the Dean appeared though,” Lilly heard his voice and froze at the top of the ladder.
“Don’t worry I am sure she is busy,”

“Well she better be!” Taylor replied to Tom leading him through. “Now you’re made up, do you need anything else, there is water under the lectern and there is loads backstage when you come off, anything else you need?”

“No you are very well prepared,”

“Well yes I am,”

“Found it,” Lilly muttered pulling on the box and losing her footing slightly. “Shit!” Tom, Taylor and Sarah all turned at the same time. She dropped the box, making it fall to the ground as she grabbed hold of the ladder letting out another squeal. Tom made a grab for the ladder to help Sarah while Taylor dodged the falling box.

“Lilly?” Tom questioned, his voice full of concern, as she gripped the ladder steadying it as she gripped tonight. Others around gave her a quick glance before carrying on with their jobs.

“Mhmm, I’m alive,” She replied slowly taking steps down the ladder as Tom held it tightly still.

“Hi,” He said simply as she reached the bottom turning around to be face to face with him. “I don’t believe you should ever be allowed up a ladder,”

“Well out of the three of us I’m the least likely to fall, apparently!” Tom raised his eyebrows a hand going to softly cupping her face but she looked away.

“Lilly tell me what is wrong please,”

“I can’t do this right now, and you need to go on stage,” She said simply moving out of his grip and walking away to leave him alone. Taylor and Sarah starred at Lilly’s retreating figure and then awkwardly at Tom.

“Not use to girls walking away Hiddleston?” Taylor asked earning a groan from Sarah.

“Well possibly not,” He muttered looking to where Lilly had been. “I should-“

“No way not now! You have to work to do,” He sighed, he knew in the end he never had time for relationships. “Sarah will make sure she is okay,” There was always someone else picking up the pieces when he walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy! It was a bit of a long one but it's all building up to the drama! ;) xxx

Sarah
Taylor
Lilly