Status: New Story!

Edge of Our Dreams

The Scarf

“It is so not my turn!” Lilly’s flat mate, Sarah, shouted as the buzzer went for the front door.

“Umm yeah it is! I got the post man earlier!” Lilly replied, trying her hardest not to raise her voice, everything hurt right now. The girls had been out last night, at a friend’s and quite frankly drank more than they should have!

She heard Sarah sigh in defeat; she clearly wasn’t capable of putting up a battle in her hung-over state. Lilly went back to staring at her laptop, she was watching episodes of Dawson’s Creek, with some hope doing nothing would cure this hangover.

Sarah opened the door slowly, not bothering to check who was there.

“Yes?” She starred at the man in front of her; he was tall and slim, with slicked back dark hair and a smattering of fair stubble. His eyes flickered up to Sarah and she was a little shocked at how gorgeous he was. However, he’d disturbed her rolling around in bed because she was too hung-over to do anything else moment, so he was on her hate list right now. “Yes?” She repeated.

“Umm sorry to bother you, is your flat mate here?” Sarah raised her eyebrows at the man scanning him up and down. “She’s about your height, long dark hair, a fringe, she owns this scarf?” He held up the mustard scarf for Sarah to see.

“Hang on,” She let the door close as she went back into the flat. “Lilly,”

“Yeah?”

“There’s a man holding your scarf?”

“What?” Lilly questioned sticking her head out of her bedroom door.

“Man at the door,” Sarah said simply before wondering back into her room. “It’s too early for this!” Lilly just groaned in response, feeling just as hung-over as Sarah. Wine was not her friend. She walked to the front door and tried to peer through the window but the dimpled glass made it impossible to see. She opened the door and instantly regretted doing so.

“Oh god,” She gasped realising it was the man from the tube, how the fuck had he known where she lived?

“Good morning,” He turned round and smiled at her, the beautiful smile that nearly had her on the floor. “Sorry to get you up?” He questioned taking in her attire. She wished she’d at least put a hoodie on before answering the door.

“It was a late night last night,” She replied with an embarrassed smile. “Sorry,”

“No need,” He smiled at her, his eyes flickering down to the t-shirt she was wearing, a smirk appearing on his lips. “Spooning leads to forking, I’ve heard that somewhere,” Lilly groaned wishing she hadn’t been wearing those PJ’s. “Anyway, I brought this back, you left it in the cab last week, I’ve been busy this week but I thought I’d bring it back, I had a free morning” He held up the mustard coloured scarf.

The cab! That was how he knew where she lived!

“Oh thank you!” Lilly smiled brightly, she’d been searching for it for days, and it had never crossed her mind she’d left it in that cab. “I love this scarf, that sounds stupid but it was a present, thank you,”

“You are welcome, I was going to ask-“ He paused and seemed to take a quick breath in. “Did you fancy a coffee?”

“Coffee?” She raised her eyebrows in surprise.

He nodded, his confidence seemed to come back quickly and the casual tone of his voice relaxed her.

“I know there’s some good little places round here, but if you aren’t feeling up for it, rain check?”

“No umm,” Lilly paused. “Come in,” He raised his eyebrows this time. “I mean I need to get changed I can’t really got out like this, but coffee would be great, I do owe you anyway!”

“I guess so,” He smiled again and Lilly had to turn away this time, that smile was too gorgeous to be around. “Um take a seat in here,” She led him to the girls lounge. “And I will be back in 5, Sarah my housemate might be around, she’s not in a fit state at the moment though so no loud noises,”
“Gotcha,” He stepped into the living room, and she instantly felt the room was too small for his presence. He was so grand and their small terraced flat was tiny compared to him.

“Five seconds,” She smiled before darting into her own room, as she shut the door she leant against it. Her heart was pumping fast, there was something so gorgeous about that man, but she just couldn’t pin what it was about him that really made her swoon. She’d not paid enough attention on the tube, but now he was in her flat she could hardly not! He was swoon worthy, with bright blue eyes, a winning smile and high cheekbones.

And here she was shorts, t-shirt and tied back hair. No make up, no bra.

She decided to go for a simple outfit; he was after all wearing jeans of a kind so she felt it was acceptable for her to do so. She pulled on a fitted striped top, and added her mustard scarf and bag to give herself some colour. Lilly pulled on her black skinny fit jeans, her jeans she wore when she wanted to show off her best assists.

As she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, she realised what she was doing.

“You are trying to impress him Lilly, that is a dangerous game,” She warned herself, applying some foundation and maraca in the process. She was already mortified he’d seen her in her pjs and without an ounce of makeup. She had a lot of work to do.

Why?

Lilly liked to impress people, she liked having approval, and one way was to look good.

When she stepped out of her room, she heard the shower turning on, and decided leaving a note for Sarah, would be better than shouting through the bathroom door. The man…

The man. She starred at him for a few minutes he was looking at their photo frame in the living room so couldn’t see her starring. The problem was he was just “The man,”. She could not remember his name.

Had he ever told her it?

She’d described him to Sarah as the gorgeous man from the tube; no name used.

He turned suddenly; he must have known she was staring at him.

“You’re ready?” He smiled at her. “I was just admiring your photos,”

“Yeah there are some pretty crazy ones on there,”

“You look better as a brunette,” He commented pointing to one where she was wearing a bright blonde wig.

“Thanks, I think so to,” She smiled stepping up to him. “I have something I have to ask, and if you said it before I’m really sorry but-“

“My names Tom,” He smiled softly at her, she narrowed her eyes at him in confusion, how had he known her question? “I had the same question for you, I think with all the tube fiasco, we never swapped names,” He was so understanding, so lovely, she just wanted to hug him. "But I guess you never expected me on your doorstep,"
He was right there, although he'd not strayed far from her mind, she doubted she'd ever see him again. So he was left to be a dream, a gorgeous gentleman she once met on the tube.

Now he had a name though, now that made him more real. She was stepping into dangerous territory.

“Lilly, my names Lilly,” He smiled that bright smile once again as he repeated her name.

“Lilly,” He tested it out on his tongue. “Beautiful, it suits you,”
The phrase stunned her, and from anyone else she would have said it was a cheesy chat up line, but it felt so genuine with him.

“So Lilly,” The way he said her name made her sound like some kind of royal princess. “Would you like to go for coffee?”

“Let’s go, I know a place!” She gestured to the door. “I just need to text my flat mate,”

“She’s in the same flat!” He raised his eyebrows in confusion.

“In the shower, she won’t hear me,” He nodded, clearly finding her relationship with her roommate interesting. “Right let’s go!” He let her go first through every door, he walked at her pace and stayed on the road side of the path as they walked. There was something very gentlemanly about him. They talked about the area as Lilly led them to a coffee shop near the market. She enjoyed listening to him tell stories, he was well spoken but able to speak quite animatedly about things; he intrigued her.

Being intrigued was dangerous, she knew it, and she saw herself falling hook line and sinker for this incredible man.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little midweek treat to get you to Friday!!!! (I so should be marking right now!)
Thank you to the lovely people who have read, commented, subscribed and recommended this story! It's so lovely to hear feedback!
So thanks to: Taylor, Sarah, Kristenmae89 and Missswede.
I hope you continue to enjoy it! xxx

Lilly
Lilly again!