Status: New Story!

Edge of Our Dreams

The Mirror

Lilly starred in the mirror.

Nothing looked right. Every outfit she tried on was too horrible, her hips stuck out under the short jacket giving her the look of someone a good few sizes bigger than her, her skirt cut her at just the wrong point; this was the fourth outfit she had tried on. She hadn’t got the energy to try again.

Her hair was poofy, sticking out at all the wrong angles, and really frizzy. Her make up looked caked onto her face, thick and gross, with dark circles showing off under her eyes; no amount of concealer would cover them.

However, she hadn’t really changed at all in the past two weeks. If you asked anyone else who knew
Lilly they’d say her hair was fine, lovely as ever, the waves and curls still there and not that frizzy at all. She looked slimmer if anything, her face in particular, though that was not helped by the dark bags under her eyes.

Yes, the eyes did let her down, she looked tired and unhappy. Eyes were as everyone said a great window to the soul, and right now looking through that window there was a storm battering down on Lilly.

She was split in two, one part of her wanted nothing more than to cry, to let every sad, broken emotion in her out and mope about the lost love of her life. Though the other half of her thought love of her life was far to overdramatic, and actually she had had a wonderful time with Tom but now it was time to move on. He was a movie star and she worked behind the scenes. That was how it would and should always be. She did not want to be the girl who was pathetic over a guy, fuck, she had never been that girl. She always tried her hardest to just get on with life; but for some reason with Tom she couldn’t quite get on.

She hadn’t slept properly, eaten properly or really socialised. Instead she’d worked, and worked, and worked so that she had something else to think about. But when this storm settled and the work calmed down that wold be when the true impact of Tom and her would show. If anything Lilly would probably be fine. So she hadn’t battened down the hatches with Tom and instead she’d let herself go full flow with the relationship right up into the moment she realised it wasn’t right, she’d enjoyed their time. Now she just needed to work through the aftermath and keep going, because in any storm it was how you dealt with the recovery that made the huge difference.

And this recovery operation had some outside agencies throwing in aid, including an international contingency….

“Lilly your ass better be fucking ready,” Taylor shouted banging on the bedroom door. “Even Sarah is ready, and she’s been attempting winged eyeliner!” Lilly had to smile at that comment, knowing that the eyeliner probably did not go as planned multiple times but Sarah was if anything persistent. For example, three times now Lilly had refused to go out with her and Taylor today but Sarah had ignored every comment and now here she was ready to go out.

“I’m ready,” Lilly replied as the door opened and Taylor poked her head in.

“Nice,” She smiled looked at Lilly before opening the door wider and glancing round the room. “This is clean, like super clean,” Lilly shrugged grabbing her bag.

“I’ve had some extra time on my hands,”

“Oh god enough with the fucking violins already,” Taylor muttered flinging her head back over dramatically and sighing loudly. Lilly just smiled at her friend.

“Is she ready?” Sarah bounced into the room clapping excitedly when she saw her house mate was in fact dressed, with make up on and wearing shoes that meant she would be leaving the house with them. “This is a massive positive step in the right direction!”

“Oh god would you two stop it already I sound like an addict who is trying to stay clean, I broke up with someone that is all-“

“Ah huh,” Both girls nodded raising their eyebrows and looking at each other knowingly.

“I am fine!”

“And I’m giving up alcohol!” Taylor muttered sarcastically as she linked arms with Lilly and walked forcefully towards the door. “Right time to leave the house and not go to work!”

“Now we are only taking baby steps today!” Sarah spoke up as the three of them walked down the house lined street and towards the main road. “Tiny weenie steps but majoring important in operation Hiddlebum detox!”

“And what exactly is this tiny step?”

“Cocktails!” Taylor clapped excitedly, while Lilly could only roll her eyes. Of course alcohol was the answer…or at least a way to silence the questions.

“It’s 2pm and we are going to start drinking?”

“Yes!”

“I really don’t think this is a good idea,”

“Of course you don’t! You’d rather be mopping over Prince William,”

“Tom,”

“But tough luck because we are young, attractive and somewhat rich-“

“Due to it being pay day yesterday,” Sarah added in.

“Twenty somethings ready to party hard, and fuck even harder,”

“Taylor!” Lilly groaned in disappear. “I am totally up for the drinking but no setting me up with
anyone, do you get me?”

“No,” Taylor shook her head. “No hablo ingles!”

“Oh be quiet,” Lilly muttered shaking her head and following Sarah towards All Bar One, a chain that had a good deal on cocktails during happy hour. The bar was relatively empty, the lunch crowd clearing off and leaving those who had no work to do behind; which was not that many. The girls started off slow, no Long Island Ice Teas just yet, but that was just what Lilly needed. She found herself relaxed and forgetting about the break up and focusing on Sarah and Taylor’s lives.

She was grateful for good friends.

By 5pm they were joined by the work crowds, people leaving work and stopping off for drinks with co-workers or food with friends. Sarah ended up spotting someone she knew and darted off to chat leaving Taylor and Lilly to chat.

“Put the phone down!” Taylor spoke up as Lilly reached for her phone and quickly put it down before rolling her eyes.

“I was checking the time,” She replied calmly.

“Yeah you might well be but I’m not taking any risks on my watch!” Lilly had to laugh at that comment.

“You have nothing to worry about I really haven’t heard from him for the past two weeks and I don’t
expect to any time soon,” Taylor nodded with a supportive smile. “And that is what I need!”

“I couldn’t agree more,”

So in came more drinks.

Lilly scanned the bar her eyes falling on where Sarah had wondered off to. She was at the end of the bar, leaning on a tall table, chatting to some guy. The guy said something and Sarah slapped his arm playfully as she laughed at his comment; at least she was happy. The guy was tall at least six foot, slim build, dressed in skinny jeans, converse, and a checked shirt. The shirt was rolled up to his elbows to show off some pretty brightly coloured tattoos though Lilly couldn’t make out what they were from her distance away from the pair.

“What ya watching?”

“Sarah flirt shamelessly with that guy,”
“Huh,” Taylor followed Lilly’s gaze to spot Sarah and nodded in understanding. “Cute,”

“Yeah looks like her type,”
“She doesn’t have a type,”

“Yeah she does, tall, cute, funny, arty, it’s you that doesn’t have a type!”

“I so do,”

“Oh yeah male and taller than you!”

“Hey my standards are higher than that!” Taylor pouted earning a smirk from Lilly. “That is why I can’t even find someone to peak my interest in here!” Lilly nodded in agreement gazing around the room her heart missing a beat when a tall, broad shouldered guy with short hair, wearing shirt and trousers caught her attention. It was the rolled-up sleeves that made her freeze mid sip and crane her neck to take a good look.

He turned. It wasn’t him.

She shook her head downing her drink and picking up Taylor’s empty. “More?”

“Here here!” And that was how the night continued. Chatting with boring business men, trying disgusting shots and dancing badly; all in the hope of a good night out.

“Hey, Lilly, Taylor this is Adam,” Lilly and Taylor both smiled at the guy who was behind a slightly tipsy Sarah. “This is Lilly my house mate, and our best friend Taylor,” Adam smiled at them and waved a hand in a small hello.

“Nice to meet you both, my friends and I,” He pointed towards a booth where a group of people were getting coats and bags together ready to leave. “We were thinking of moving on to a new place, wondered if you three wanted to come with us,” He looked towards Lilly and Taylor before down to an eager looking Sarah who was bobbing from one foot to another and looking at her friends hopefully.

“Well,” Taylor shrugged looking to Lilly who just smiled at Sarah. “Oh go on then,”

“Thanks girls,” Sarah muttered as Adam lead the way and Sarah fell back to talking to Taylor and Lilly.

“Anytime,” Taylor shrugged. “Who is he?”

“A friend of a friend,” Sarah explained. “Remember Katie from work, well not work with you guys, but work with me, I mentioned her once or twice she was prop design when I interned for six weeks at the globe,” Both Taylor and Lilly stayed silent realising this was one of those stories it was easier to nod along to than actually question. “Well we still chat and she was out tonight, that’s her,” She pointed towards a petite brunette girl who was ahead with Adam’s friends. “She introduced me to him at the bar and we’ve just got chatting, I think I’ve met him a few times before, he’s cute right?”

“Right,” Lilly smiled. “Let’s go party with the new kids,”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it has taken forever! I shall now go update my new story as well!

x

Lilly
Taylor
Sarah