Status: New Story!

Edge of Our Dreams

The Chance

Tom stood by the bar watching her dance, he’d seen her stumble up the stairs when she’d first walked in, he kept his gaze down as she starred at him and then smiled slightly as Taylor had fell right into her causing both girls to nearly fall. He loved that less refined side of her as much as the well-spoken, beautiful woman he’d been able to take out. There was no way on this planet he couldn’t not fight for her. He might have played the lost cause card Oh she isn’t interested, it’s her choice but it wasn’t what he really felt; he was trying to be the gentleman not the knight in shining armour this time.

Until now.

He watched as Lilly’s hips moved to the music, her arms rising up above her head, a perfect flow of movement to the music. He sipped his whiskey watching her, Shell and Sarah dance. She was the girl he would always been drawn back to. There was other woman on the dance floor, taller, shorter, slimmer, bigger, longer hair, shorter hair, ones that had a perfect tan and beautiful make up and ones that clearly had more money than anyone else; but with Lilly it wasn’t any of that, instead it was all of it mixed together. The long wavy hair, the simple make up with the big smokey eyes, the soft smile that made her eyes light up, the freckles on her cheeks, the curves of her body and the length of her legs; all of it made him stare.

Until now.

He felt himself tense as he watched a guy whispering in Sarah’s ear, she shook her head and he moved away from her. His friend, however, was still speaking to Lilly. He watched again as this time Lilly shook her head, and inside he felt a little relief, the guy stayed there though and it wasn’t until Shell grabbed Lilly’s arm and pulled her towards her that the guy got the message. Tom kept hold of his glass squishing the urge to go over there and do something; it wouldn’t be what she wanted. But all Tom could think was the tightening in his chest, the pain in his hand as he squished up his fingers into his palm to try and stay calm. Someone was hitting on the girl he lov- liked. Girl he had. Had being the main word.

The two men walked towards Tom, he was stood by the bar, and ordered their drinks turning back to watch the dance floor.

“Well we tried,” One of them said sipping his drink. Tom looked over casually to see them still watching the girls.

“Both taken,” The other guy shook his head in amazement. “Well of course they are,” Tom turned his gaze back to Lilly wondering if that was a lie she’d told or the truth. It wasn’t helping the main growing through his body, the fear and anger mixed together. He’d not felt this for a while. Since the last girl, the girl who’d told him quite clearly, she was leaving because he loved his work more than her; maybe he had. He’d let her walk just like he’d let Lilly; yet this time it hurt seeing her again.
He finished the whiskey and slammed the glass on the bar.

“Woah,”

“Oh I am so sorry-“ He turned and there she was. Her eyes a little wide after the banging of a glass, his breath caught as the reality of the situation hit him. He was about to run out of the club, but now she was stood even closer looking even more beautiful. “You look beautiful,” She raised her eyebrows shocked by his bluntness. “Dance with me?”

“What?” No hello, how are you, or even a is it okay I am here? Should I leave. No Tom went straight in for the kill and rendered her speechless.

“Dance with me?” He repeated there was a soft smile on his lips, a glint in his eye and hope in his voice. Lilly wasn’t sure she was strong enough to turn him away when he looked like that.

“Tom you do remember we broke up?” He shrugged and held out his hand.

“Can I tell you something?” Lilly nodded not sure where this was going. “That night you never danced with me,” She knew which night he meant. “And I all I remember thinking was fuck I really missed out, you looked beautiful in that green dress, easily the most beautiful woman there and I never got the chance to dance with, let alone walk in with you, be with you. I regret that,”

“Have you been drinking?”

“Lilly for god sake, dance with me?” She nodded without even realising she had nodded; it was a completely involuntary action that her heart and decided on before her mind had any chance of reason. Tom leaped on the moment, taking her hand and leading her towards the middle of the club before she had chance of any stopping him.

Tom could really dance, and she actually felt her self-laughing and smiling as he danced with her. She forgot where she was.

“Okay we don’t usually take requests,” Lilly’s eyes flicked up when the DJ broke the magically illusion of it just being her and Tom. “But this lady convinced me, this is for Tom and Lilly, your friends love you,” Lilly groaned turning around to spot her group. Tom just laughed noticing Lilly’s look of annoyance but he was grateful her friends had medalled. The song started playing and Lilly knew who was to blame for this straight away, she was sure she could even hear Sarah serenading Taylor and doing her very best Steven Tyler impression.

“Who slow dances at a club?” Lilly whispered with a little giggle as Tom pulled her comfortably into a hold.

“Me when I am trying to win back a beautiful woman,” Tom whispered in her ear his lips dangerously close. Lilly let herself relax in his grip, her head resting against his shoulder as he whispered in her ear. Words of comfort, plans, hopes and dreams for their relationship if she would give him another shot. Every word made her forget once again everything around her. It was just her and Tom in that moment.

One hand stayed on her waist as she rested her cheek on his chest. Tom pressed a soft kiss against the top of her head taking a deep breath in when the smell of her hair brought back so many memories. Tom’s finger tips stretched up from her waist brushing against the bare skin that her dress exposed. He wanted this, her, a relationship with her.

She felt safe in his grip, enjoying him guiding her slowly through the dance, she enjoyed the intimacy as his finger tips brushed against her back. His nose nuzzled in her hair and he whispered words into her ear. She’d really missed him. As the music changed she felt Tom’s grip loosen and he allowed her to spin round and hunt down her friends. She caught Sarah’s gaze and noticed the huge smile on her face. Lilly laughed and brought her hands up to form a heart shape with her thumbs and first fingers. Sarah winked at her and waved her off as Tom squeezed her hip.

“Drink?”

“Chat?”

“Both,” Tom agreed walking towards the bar but never letting go of her hand. She was quite happy for him to never let go.

“Lilly I don’t believe we can control who we fall in love with,” Her eyes flicked up and stayed trained on his. “I believe love is crazy, chaotic, difficult and yet so beautiful and wonderful that you shouldn’t run away from it,” He paused brushing a strand of her hair behind her ear. “I always seem to run away,” He admitted shaking his head at himself, his hand went back down to take hers. “But this time I think I messed up I should have fought for you, I know that, and I know no woman wants a man who runs away but please forgive me for that, and let me try again,”

“Tom I-I” She could not do words like Tom could, he was an expert at speaking. “I think I love you,” He smiled as she pulled a cute face. “And I ran because of that, and because your life scares me, I feel like I’m high maintenance that I couldn’t just see you now and then, I’d want more, I’d miss you, and that would annoy you and-”

“God I’d miss you too,” He chuckled pressing a kiss on her forehead. “But it could work Lil’ we could try it, it’s been bloody hard going away and knowing I am not coming back to you, however, going away and knowing I could come back to you might be a much nicer event,” She smiled at him everything he said was convincing her. “I am falling in love with you,” He said simply. “Give me another chance to prove that?”

“Give me another chance?” She questioned squeezing his hand. “I think I was the idiot that-“

“Never an idiot, just a beautiful woman who deserved better,” He dropped her hand and curled his own around her waist pulling her into him. There hips crashed together as he kissed her hard.

“What’s happening?”

“I can’t see,” Shell groaned as the two taller women were peering over the crowds to see through to the smoking area to try and see what Tom and Lilly were doing. “This is unfair,”

“Well they are currently snogging,”

“Snogging?” Taylor repeated hearing the strong British accent as the three girls spun round at once.

“Oh god not you again,”

“Well Tom has ditched me,” Benedict muttered looking over in the direction that Tom and Lilly were.

“I thought I’d hang out with you ladies, if that is okay?”

“Oh my god Sherlock Holmes!” Sarah screeched.

“Well actually Benedict but hey you recognised me before you recognised Tom-“ He smirked looking quite smug that he was clearly more famous.

“Actually,” Sarah spoke up. “We didn’t have a chance to recognise Tom,”

“They are going to be closing up soon,” Shell muttered checking her phone and noticing it was closing into 2:30am. “I’m surprised Lilly is still going.”

“Oh I think she’ll be-“

“Do not finish that sentence Taylor,” Shell muttered rolling her eyes as Sarah started clapping excitedly.

“Here they come everyone look casual,” Sarah and Taylor quickly picked up their drinks while Shell starred at them in amazement.

“Oh yes they will never know,” Benedict muttered. Waving at his friend who walked towards them, his hand locked with Lilly’s. “I’d say they made up though,”

“Hey, hey team!” Lilly smiled as Taylor and Sarah finished their drinks and acted surprised when Lilly appeared at their side.

“Where have you been?” Sarah pretended. “Oh gosh Tom is hear, no, it was meant to be a girls night out!” She poked her tongue out at Tom who just laughed and pulled Lilly a little closer.

“Sorry for taking up so much of time,” He apologised to Sarah. “But I couldn’t quite control myself,” He muttered more to Lilly than anyone else.

“Well yes Sir,” Benedict laughed. “But quite frankly none of us need to know,” He clapped his hand on Tom’s shoulder. “Lilly it is a pleasure to finally meet you, I see why my best friend has been moping all week, quite a sorry lost cause he has been,” Tom inhaled deeply and shook his head as the girls raised their eyebrows at him.

“And on that note,” Tom replied shaking his head at Benedict. “I think it’s time to go home,”

“Umm no,” Shell shook her head looking towards Sarah, Taylor, and finally Lilly.

“More drinking?” Benedict questioned.

“Well maybe but takeaway first!” Sarah explained. “Come on now no time for dawdling lets go!” She shooed them out of the club and along the streets to find the first takeaway. Their journey filled with laughter, chatter, and Lilly holding onto Tom’s hand; never wanting to let go.

“Please, please, please Tom, order her cheesy chips in that accent!” Sarah begged Tom who was laughing at her reaction. “I honestly can’t think of anything more perfect!”

“You are weird,” Lilly muttered turning to Tom and smiling. “However, I do like cheesy chips, just saying,”

“I get the message, right come on let’s have the orders, my treat,” He walked up to the takeaway counter leaving Lilly to just smile. Her slightly tipsy state allowing her to completely enjoy this surreal moment.

“Ugh if you don’t claim him someone else will he is perfect!” Taylor muttered before checking out the menu. She just smiled pushing herself up onto one of the bar stools and watching Tom order everyone’s food with the help of Sarah who kept laughing every time he had to say something that wasn’t on the menu at Eton.

Lilly waited with Shell as they food was made. She watched on as Sarah and Taylor were laughing about something Benedict was saying and Tom was chatting to the guy at the counter severing them. It was a little bit surreal.

“Cheesy chips my lady,” She looked up as Tom handed over her greasy take away.

“You are my hero,” Tom just laughed sliding onto the empty barstool next to her. He watched as she placed the food on the counter before tucking her hair behind her ears.

“And mine! Thank you for the food, you know the way to a woman’s heart!” Sarah pushed between the two grabbing a chip and dipping it into sauce. She looked towards Tom as she took a bite of the chip and then back to Lilly. “You do know I am trained in the art of war Thomas, you mess her around and I will hurt you,” She took another hard bite on the chip and even Tom moved back a little bit; she was after all crazy. “I presume you are running away with him tonight?”

“Well umm-“

“Oh come on we know you are, so I expect brunch tomorrow or at the very least dinner, got me?”

“I got you,” Lilly smiled as Sarah wrapped her arms around her and hugged her tightly.

“Play safely kids,” She grabbed her own food from Taylor and waved at Tom, then Benedict. “Taylor, Shell and I have the taxi outside,” The girls said goodbye to Lilly, Tom, and Benedict before leisurely getting into the taxi.

“Your friends love you,”

“Oh yeah,” Lilly laughed at Benedict who took a chip gingerly. “You okay there?”

“I’m not sure how I feel about cheesy chips,” He muttered taking a bit and pulling a undecided face, twitching his nose and tilting his head to the side.

“Verdict?”

“You make good choices,” Lilly smiled nodding as her eyes trailed up to meet Tom’s; he was staring her. She hoped she made very good choices, because she was making the same choice again.
♠ ♠ ♠
While enjoying Baileys and watching Thor 2 (who doesn't love Loki, and Thor, oh and Jane and Darcy...well the whole damn cast!) I thought it was bloody well time I updated so here we go...don't get too excited it will take a while for the next one ;)
xxxx