Status: New Story!

Edge of Our Dreams

The Colleague

Lilly’s smile hadn’t fallen since Saturday morning. Her coffee date? Catch up? Meeting? Thing?
Anyway the coffee with Tom had been perfect. They’d gone to one of her favourite cafes in Camden, a tiny vintage tea shop. She’d felt with his perfect upper class accent Tom would fit in very well. The men and woman that worked there were all lush, and dressed for the occasion with 50s inspired outfits. Lilly and Sarah often went there when they were out just to enjoy the atmosphere.
Tom had been impressed by the café and enjoyed their homemade cakes in particular. This had helped her relax a little and let the chit chat flow between the two of them.

She’d felt the butterflies fluttering as they’d been in that café. Two hours of tea and cake and Lilly had known for sure she liked him. Who wouldn’t? He was funny, polite, and charming. He’d talked about family, friends and life in London. He’d quizzed her on literature, film and music. She’d laughed at his extremely good impressions, and been amazed by his in-depth knowledge of the arts.

“You look far too cheerful for a Monday morning,” Lilly looked up as her colleague spoke to her. She just smiled broadly and dropped her stuff down onto her desk.

“I had a good weekend!”

“Good weekend? You got laid!”

“Taylor!” Lilly hissed as people in the office turned round at the other girl’s outburst.

“Ah god you British such prudes!” Taylor grumbled. Taylor worked in the same department at the university as Lilly. She moved to London a year ago from America, and was the kind of person who you either loved or disliked, mainly because she was brutally honest and to the point. Lilly loved her for that, she was really a sweetheart and incredibly loyal but it was rare anyone saw that side of Taylor. Lilly liked her though and the two worked well together and got on outside of work.

“So who is he?”

“His names Tom,” Taylor nodded clearly waiting for more interesting gossip. “And I met him on the tube, and he’s pretty damn awesome!” Lilly explained with a smile, Taylor gave her a knowing smile.

“Ah huh and what does he look like?”

“Well, “ Lilly turned her computer on and pushed her chair to the right so she could see Taylor opposite her. “Tall, slim,” She paused imaging Tom for a few seconds. “Bright blue eyes, gorgeous smile, and dark hair, I think it might have a bit of a curl to it cause-“

“Wow you’ve thought a lot about this,”

“Oh yeah,” Lilly bit her lip. “I am such a school girl with a crush! Fuck I’m worse than the students,” She muttered.

“You’ll be doodling love hearts all over that note book next,” Taylor mocked her. “By the way I’m away this afternoon, RADA want a stage manager to kick ass for their students,” Lilly smiled.

“And they thought of you, wanna come kick my students asses?”

“With pleasure! So this Tom guy, what does he do? Not another lecturer?” Lilly shrugged logging into her computer and waiting for her emails to pop up. “You don’t know?”

“No, that’s weird isn’t it!” Lilly muttered. “We never talked about work,”

“Huh! How refreshing,” Taylor replied.

“Maybe he has an exciting job,”

“Maybe he has a really boring job,” Taylor deadpanned. “Ya know like accountant, or tax man or something you’d hate,” Lilly nodded with a sigh.

“Oh well, he’s really lovely, funny as well, can accountants be funny?” Taylor just shrugged. “I guess it doesn’t really matter,” She ignored Taylor’s eyebrow raising and went through her emails, lots of junk, a few excuses from students about deadlines and rehearsals. She fished out her diary, changing a few meetings around and generally adding stuff to her already busy calendar.

By break time she was craving caffeine and something ridiculously fattening.

“Tay, I’m going to starbucks, do you want anything?”

“I’ll come with,” Taylor replied shoving her phone in her bag and grabbing her jacket. “I need out of this office, and sugar to get me through this afternoon,” Lilly just smiled grabbing her own bag and following Taylor out of the office.

“Hey ladies!” Lilly froze as she heard his voice, the one man she hadn’t had time to think about.

“Owen!” Taylor smiled brightly with a wave. “How ya doing?” Lilly groaned to herself, of course Taylor would start up conversation with Owen, because didn’t have a problem with telling men where they stood with her.

“Hey! Good thanks, you?” He smiled jogging down the stairs as Lilly turned round to smile back at him. “Hi Lilly,” He added looking her up and down. Owen was a classic lad in her opinion, he was a lovely guy, but just not her type. He was tall, about 6 foot, with cropped brown hair, sharp cheek bones and grey blue eyes. He was good looking, he was intelligent and well bred. But she couldn’t care less because in Lilly’s eyes he was as dull as dishwater.

“We’re just going to get coffee,” Taylor said simply, catching the board look on Lilly’s face and trying not to snigger.

“Ah cool me too,” He invited himself along and then took over the conversation discussing his travel plans for an upcoming break. No discussion on his invitation to Lilly over a week ago, which she was grateful for. Of course Taylor knew about it, but she seemed to leave it be.

Until they got to starbucks.

“So I was thinking we should have that drink, ya know, before I leave,” Owen said turning to Lilly as Taylor ordered her drinks. Lilly put her best smile on and nodded. She felt horrid for saying no, so instead just agreed. She’d hoped nothing would of come of it, but she was so wrong. “So Thursday night?”

“Thursday?” Lilly questioned trying to rack her brain for an excuse.

“Yeah La Bonita, it’s got a great atmosphere on a Thursday, I can pick you up or meet there?”

“Meet there,” So she’d agreed. Taylor had clearly been listening to every word because as Owen ordered his drink she pushed Lilly towards the sugar and milk island.

“Don’t look so glum! Go out, tell him it’s not right, and then hook up with hot Tom afterwards,” Lilly smiled slightly at Taylor’s solution. “When is it Thursday?” Lilly just nodded taking a sip of her luke warm drink. “Well text Tom, or whatever, and ask him out for Friday! Then Saturday we have the work thing, and Sunday you can sleep!”

“Thanks for planning my life!” Lilly chuckled, loving Taylor’s idea. She considered what she would say to Tom, what she would wear, what they would do; a little fantasy played out in her head.
It took until they got back to the office and Lilly threw her empty cup out for her to realise the failure of Taylor’s plan.

Lilly’s heart sank as reality crashed down around her. She had no way of contacting him. No phone number, no email, no facebook, not even an address for an old fashioned letter!

She sighed and closed her eyes, wishing she hadn’t become so invested so very quickly. She thought she’d get hurt but just not so soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another two important characters within the story. Taylor is my favourite character in this I hope a lot of you will love her too.
Thank you for reading, subscribing, recommending and commenting! Love it =) Xxx