Status: New Story!

Edge of Our Dreams

The Function

Lilly rocked from one heel to the other, the cold air of a city night biting through her tights. The only saviour was the fact the doorman at the hotel was letting people in quickly, and the girls were halfway through the line already. Tonight was a cocktail party for staff, friends and family of the universities music and drama departments, 4 major universities together making connections and seeing who had the very best students or the most money to donate. Taylor, Sarah, and Lilly had to go.

“I’m staying for the speeches then I’m out of here,” Taylor muttered checking her phone for the time. “I swear it is the same shit every time, lots of people who love the arts but aren’t willing to support us,”

“Same old, same old,” Lilly replied quietly. She was dreading tonight for a different reason, Owen was here, she’d seen him ahead of the crowd and ducked out of the way so he didn’t notice her. She hadn’t spoken to him since the date and he’d already been back two weeks. She knew he’d be upset, but hopefully had got the message she wasn’t interested. Lilly had taken the coward’s way out.
She’d not seen Tom since either. It was all up to him, she had no contact for him and he was the one who knew where she lived. Her mood had hit an all-time low, and no one deserved to be on the receiving end of her mood. Let alone a guy who she was letting down.

When they finally got into the party it was already buzzing with people. The function room was at the top of the hotel, with a large balcony to look out over London. Waiters hovered around with canapés and glasses of something pink and fizzy.

Taylor passed Lilly a glass as they wondered around the party, many old faces from the RADA’s past had joined in to campaign for more funding. As Taylor got caught up with the director of MA studies Lilly leant back against the wall and watched the people around her.

She never saw him though.

It was four glasses later by the time she’d found anyone intriguing to talk to.

“Hi,” Her eyes flicked up as a man she recognised smiled at her. “Your glass was empty, its Lilly right?” She nodded trying to place him.

“Alex,” He added noticing her questioning look. “I work on fitness with a lot of the BA students,”

“Ah of course!” She smiled. “I knew I’d seen you somewhere before,”

“You were doing the singing when I needed to borrow a few people,” Lilly nodded remembering him walking in supporting his gym attire. He worked on combat training with some of the students but mainly was a personal trainer.

“I-“ She stopped as someone moved beside her.

“Lilly!” Owen’s voice cut through her. “I’ve been looking everywhere for you,”

“You have?” She turned to stare at him her voice blunt. “Umm I didn’t know?”

“Always wondering off this one,” Owen said to Alex who raised his eyebrows. “You two know each other?”

“Not just yet,” Alex said simply looking questioningly to Lilly. “Just getting started,” He added noticing her smile. Owen didn’t smile he just stood there looking at Lilly.

“Did you want something?”

“We need to talk,” He said simply. “Outside?” Alex raised his eyebrows but decided not to say anything.

“Sorry,” She muttered plastering a smile on her face and following Owen outside.

“Owen what’s wrong?”

“You don’t phone, call, say a word all week! I’ve been back for a week and not a word,” He cut straight to the chase his eyes boring into her. Lilly had to admit she was surprised at his outburst, she’d forgotten all about him and the date. It was just another event that had passed her by, the fact he was back from holiday hadn’t even crossed her mind.

“I-I I’m sorry,” She stuttered. “I just have other things on my mind, I’m busy at the moment, I don’t have the time to devote to-”

“Flirting with other men!”

“Hey!” Lilly snapped glaring at him. “I said hi to the man! That was not flirting!” She did not like what he was implying.

“Whatever, I thought we were good, you know had something,” Lilly raised her eyebrows, she wasn’t quite sure what to say to that, but clearly her face said it all. “Stop leading me on Lilly!”

“I’m not!” She flung her hands up in the air. “I never have and I never planned on Owen, I wasn’t interested! You were!” She saw the anger cross his face, she shouldn’t have snapped and been so mean. “I’m so-“

“No you’re not, you’re a bitch, you said you’d phone! And yet here I am!” He glared at her. “I thought you were decent, I really liked you Lilly and you go and do this! Shit man, I thought! Ah god,”

“Owen!”

“No go away,” He looked hurt, really hurt, and Lilly knew there was nothing she could do to make it better. She watched him walk away, leaving her alone on the balcony. Oh what a night!
She walked towards one of the square raised flowerbeds, and sat down on the edge. In front of her she could look out over the whole of London; Twinkling lights, speeding cars and the chatter of thousands of different people. It was a beautiful city with so many people. But now as Lilly sat on the side of the flower bed, friends all having a wonderful night behind her, she felt alone. She bit down hard on her lip, willing the tears not to fall, but it was no use.

She’d drank too much, and her emotions were shot.

Slowly tears welled in her eyes as she tried her hardest to stop them ruining her face.

From inside Tom had watched the scene unfold. He’d been there all night deciding when the right time to speak to Lilli was. He’d have to explain why he was here and he wasn’t ready to break the magic just yet.

As a woman in front of him rattled on about stocks and success in London; he’d focused on Lilly and the man outside. He’d had to hold himself back when their conversation got more animated, he could tell from her actions she was upset. The man suddenly turned on her, shouting something, before storming away.

Tom watched his face change; the man was upset, really upset and angry.

Intriguing.

He rotated back to watch Lilly, she’d moved to sit on one of the benches outside. He watched her eyes shut, as she took a deep breath in, before she dropped her head to her hands. Something inside of him snapped he couldn’t stay away any longer.

“Excuse me a minute,” He said to woman in front of him, who seemed shocked he was actually speaking to her. “I’ll be right back,” He added with a soft smile.

Okay a little white lie but the woman was gorgeous she’d find another bachelor to try her charms out on easily.

He grabbed two glasses from the nearest waiter, a pink fizzy drink that matched the theme of the party. He smiled at a few guests as he made his way through the patio doors and onto the large balcony. There were a few groups outside, the traditional couple making out, girls chain smoking, a guy on the phone to his partner and finally Lilly.

Her elbows rested on her knees and her head in her hands, her beautiful hair cascaded around her, sheltering her from the world. Tom sighed and placed the glasses to one side as he reached her. He crouched down in front of her, his hands going to rest on her thighs, only a thin pair of tights separating him from her bare skin.

“Hey you,” He spoke quietly and her head shot up, not expecting anyone this close; least of all him.
The expression of worry disappeared quickly as she saw his face; he shot her his best smile.

“Tom?” Her emotions spiked, she’d gone from angry to sad to broken, to shocked. It was all a bit too much at once. But to see Tom’s gorgeous face smiling back at her did a little too dull the spike, only a little.

“One and only,” He chuckled his hand going towards her face. “You okay?” He cupped her chin and ran a thumb over her cheek. “Smudged masarca,” He explained simply. He didn’t want to remind her of her tears so instead got up to grab their drinks.

“Thank you,” He watched as she flicked her head back and sat up straight, masses of wavy brown hair flicking out the way. “And thank you again,” She smiled softly as he passed her the drink. “Not sure I need much more,” She added taking a small sip. “I didn’t know you were here,”

“Ah the element of surprise, I saw you with some friends,” He added.

“Ah,”

“You sure you’re okay?” Lilly nodded. “He didn’t look so okay,” She knew Tom was talking about Owen.

“I used your line, it didn’t go well,”

“My line?” He chuckled, sitting down next to her. “I wasn’t aware I had a line,”

“I don’t have the time you deserve,” She waved her arm around as she spoke. “Yadah, yadah, yadah!”

“You say it so well,” He laughed remembering the tube journey he’d first met her on. “So that guy he was more than a friend?” Lilly turned as Tom spoke, one because she wanted to see his reaction and two because she wanted so badly to tell him no.

“No way, I just didn’t want to hurt him,” Lilly sighed and shook her head, the tears were threatening.
“But I so did, I suck as a person, and then I realised,” She bit her lip, she didn’t need to say anymore.

“You realised?”

“I felt really alone, drunk ramblings of a fool though,” She added, as he leant back. She tried to act as if she’d said was nothing, shrugging her shoulders and sipping her drink. Though for a few seconds Tom was silent, she held her breath, scared he would just walk away after she’d been so honest with him.

“It’s a big city,” He muttered. “People forget that it can still be lonely, you know what I find helps?” His voice softened at the end, sounding warming and more cheerful, helping her to relax.

“Snuggling up in bed with a good movie?” Lilly asked randomly, Tom couldn’t help but laugh at that. “Particularly when it’s raining, that tends to cheer me up,” He smiled, hoping he’d remember that scene.

Tom leant in close to her, his nose brushing up against her ear. “I was going to say finding someone who gives incredible hugs, but maybe we could combine our ideas,”

“Do you give good hugs?” Lilly questioned, not moving, just enjoying how close he was to her. She could feel Tom’s breath softly caressing her neck.

“Come and find out,” He whispered moving away and taking a sip of his drink. He stood up slowly and opened his arms. Lilly had never felt awkward at hugging someone before, but he was new, this was different. The cheeky grin on Tom’s face made her feel this was a friendship blooming.

She bit her lip, smiling cutely at him before stepping into his arms. He was taller than her, easily over 6 foot, something she’d always thought made someone good at hugging. She was right, as she rested her had against his chest she took in everything about the hug. From his long arms wrapping around her and holding her tightly, to his hard chest, and the warm scent of cologne; it was a perfect hug.

“So? What’s the verdict?” She bit down hard on her lip, she knew she’d drank too much her head was spinning as soon as she’d stood up. Now the emotions were hitting her again. His hugs were incredible though.

“Lilly?”

“Mmm,” She whispered holding onto him a little tighter.

“You okay?” She shook her head but didn’t want him to see how upset she was getting.

“I need to go,” She blurted out going to step away from him but he caught her arms before she could run.

“I’m that bad?” He chuckled not quite realising the emotions in the situation, she was really upset.

“You’re not bad,” Lilly took in a deep breath and looked up to see his concerned face. “I need to go home; it’s all a bit too much,” She gazed in to the party and saw Owen watching her. She caught his gaze and he quickly turned the other way. She could only imagine what he was thinking right now.

“Come on then,” Lilly paused as he stepped towards the entrance back to the party. “I’m taking you home,” He said simply as if he was expecting no argument for her.

“It’s early Tom you can’t leave now,” She was ruining his night!

“Watch me,” He said simply, his hand cupped her upper arm with only a little force he led her towards the exit. They went through the large event room towards the exit and the lift. As soon as they stepped in Lilly gasped, her face was a mess, blotchy and red from the tears that had threatened before. Who thought putting mirrors in lifts was a good bloody idea? She stepped closer checking her appearance and trying to decide what to do. Tom caught her gaze and just smiled at her.

“Don’t worry, you look beautiful,” He said simply. Lilly just shook her head in reply and rolled her eyes. “And you’ll be home soon,”

“I’m hoping it leads to more hugs,” Lilly smiled back earning a chuckle from Tom.

“Ha, I knew I was good!“ He watched her smile brightly, glad there were no more tears. She couldn’t see him shamelessly checking her out. She had gorgeous long legs and a full butt, he wasn’t sure if he was an arse or boobs guy, but for her he could easily be an arse guy. Not that her boobs were-

“Cold shower for one,” He muttered to himself trying to shake the image of Lilly out of his head. He fished his phone out and checked the time, it was gone midnight now and he had an early workout session booked for the next morning. He sighed as the elevator shuddered to a holt and the doors opened slowly.

“You okay?” Lilly questioned as she stepped next to him.

“Of course,” He put an arm round her waist, she clearly hadn’t expected that. He felt her flinch under his touch but as he looked down she smiled back. “Let’s get you home,”

“Everything is still spinning,” She muttered.

“Oh good, let me know if it gets worse,” He replied hailing the first taxi he saw and guiding her in.

“Thank you,” She smiled such a real and cute smile. “So why were you here tonight? I thought this was all boring university people,” She questioned as she leant back on the seat.

“I have connections,” Tom replied as she turned her head to watch him. “How about you?”

“I am a boring university person,”

“And your friend,”

“Ah Owen,” She sighed. “He works for one of them too, as does Taylor, my friend she was around here somewhere, so is my housemate” Lilly muttered. “I should have said I was leaving,” Tom just smiled, turning his own head so he could watch her. “Thank you for this,”

“That’s okay, remember lots of water when you get in,”

“I plan to be snuggled up in bed with a good movie,” Tom raised his eyebrows knowing he was about to say something ridiculously stupid.

“I thought we were combing that with my incredible hugs?” Lilly kept his gaze, challenging him almost to see how far he’d go. He knew how far he’d go, he just had one simple rule that he was going to enforce with this incredible woman. He knew he was falling for her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took a while! Busy times.
Thanks for all the support! xxx
Sarah
Taylor
Lilly