Status: Tryin' out something new

Once Upon a December

chapter 1.

There was the hard thunk of glass being placed on wooden tables, raucous patrons laughing or shouting to others. Red-cheeked and hazy-eyed, the elder men in suits watched as the lads in uniform celebrate their last night in California. The bombing of Pearl Harbour happened a week ago, and the rush to join the army and fight was tremendous.

The bartender closest to them gave a jovial grin, one that seemed to be infected by the soldiers' antics. But the smile never reached his eyes, a cold and distant emerald. He wiped down the counter, sticky from use and spillage, before he turned back around to check on the alcohol display. Noting that the brandy was nearly finished, as well as the bourbon, the bartender excused himself from the lively company to fetch some more form the cellar.

As soon as he was out of sight, his face contorted to a vicious snarl. Emerald eyes now filled with fire as he listened to the loud chatter. He remembered that his superiors told him that his job would be quite difficult, but mein Gott! They never said that the Americans would be so obnoxious. The way they went on about the war, it was like the world was their playground. The bartender gave a snort, because he knew of their arrogance.

The bartender, Zachary Baker, was a German spy. He was sent to America in order to gain knowledge of what their enemy was like, and, if possible, steal any intelligence they had. But of course, high-profile work like that was left to the more experienced agents that the Motherland had. Though Zack was very proud that his superiors put so much trust in him, he will not fail them.

Carrying the bottles, he went back up behind the bar with a smile plastered on his face. Smiling can hurt, he noted, as he put the bottles on the display before he went back to taking orders.

There was a new round of soldiers, these ones looking quite fresh. Amongst them, he took note of one man who was in casual clothing, as opposed to the smart uniforms his friends appear to be wearing. He was with two other friends, both taller than him. One was lanky, but with a kind grin and a mischievous twinkle of the eye. The other companion was burlier, but with a dimpled smile. Zack paid no attention to them at first, until the one in casual clothes came up to the bar.

Zack could feel his heart pound and his stomach lurch as he looked at the other. Chiseled face, with golden-tan skin and warm chocolate eyes. Zack felt horror curl in his stomach, but he pushed it aside and gave the other a smile.

"What can I help you with?"

The other man's eyes widened slightly at the smile, feeling warmth starting to gather in his cheeks. He was Brian Haner, a musician at heart whose best friends were going off to fight in the war. Brian did think of joining up with them, but his parents begged him to stay throughout the Christmas season and New Years before going off. His caved in after seeing his dad cried, and went off to bid his friends goodbye with one last drink.

The rather attractive bartender gave a quizzical tilt of the head at his staring, and Brian quickly shook his head to gather his thoughts.

"A round of whiskey for the boys 'n me before they ship off."

Brian shot the bartender a grin, tipping his hat politely.

"Boys and I would be the correct way of speaking."

Brian's head snapped up at the bartender, whose lips were twisted in an amused grin. An eyebrow raised, Brian leaned forwards with a smirk on his lips, chocolate eyes glinting.

Zack's eyes widened as he clenched his jaw and coughed.

"Is that so? And what would the name of Mr. Smartass be?"

He asked, leaning on the counter. He hasn't had a challenge like that in a while, and the bartender was easy on the eyes. It was a hit and miss when it came to his bed partners, since he couldn't exactly walk up and ask them if they swung for the home team. His sexuality was kept very hush hush amongst his most trusted friends, being Matt and Jimmy. Not even his parents knew, but he was certain that his dad would beat the living daylights out of him. He was glad that he moved out of the house a few months earlier.

"Zachary..."

The German answered timidly, occupying himself by drying glasses. He could feel the blood rush to his ears, his rationality telling him to keep strictly professional... He quickly got three glasses of whiskey, putting them on the counter.

Gathering them up in his arms, Brian sent a flirtatious smirk over to Zachary.

"How about joining us after you're done?"
~
He ended up going, drink after drink with the three other men. Soon enough, Matthew and Jimmy had to leave, leaving Brian and Zack together. The two exchanged heated glances, before Brian tilted his head to the door. An invitation back to his place. Zack's alcohol-fuelled mind nodded, both of them slipping quietly to Brian's apartment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Official chapter, fuck yeah!

My workload's insane these next few weeks, but keep an eye out for new chapters!