Playing with Chronos

t w o

“How was your meeting with your girls?” Jayden asked his fiancée as they exited their house and headed for the tennis court. His muscular arm was relaxed across her shoulder, pulling up the sleeve of his t-shirt just enough to reveal some of his tattoos.

“It was great,” Zoe beamed before giving him a kiss. “Don’t suppose you organised much with your groomsmen?” Jayden chuckled before glancing over his shoulder.

“You know Blake too well,” he said with a grin to his best friend and best man who was walking out the back door with a water bottle in hand. Blake raised his shoulders nonchalantly as Michaela walked out after him, knowing to always bring up the rear so she could shut and lock the door behind Blake who always forgot.

“I just don’t see why it’s more important to decide on what shoes you should wear instead of what stripper you want at your bachelor’s party!” Blake justified with an innocent tone.

“Stripper?” Zoe questioned and Jayden shook his head.

“No, no stripper, he’s just joking,” Jayden replied before opening the gate to the courts. Michaela had caught up to them and was tying her hair into a ponytail, smiling at the banter.

“You have to shave your scruff before the wedding, otherwise I won’t let you in,” Zoe insisted with a glare at Blake as he leaned lazily against the fence. She unlocked the cabinet and handed out the racquets to her friends.

“The ladies love the shaggy look,” he shrugged. Zoe began to wonder if she could convince him to cut his mop of dirty blonde locks, but figured that that would be pushing it. She grabbed a tube of tennis balls before heading onto the court. Michaela paused but Blake gestured with a nod towards the gate. “Ladies first.” She gave him a knowing glare, but when he didn’t move she decided to chance it. Her trust was rewarded with a splash of water on her back, coming from the hose Blake was holding.

“If it’s not Zoe, it’s me,” Michaela grumbled, annoyed by Blake’s childish antics.

“You girls are so hot, I can’t help but try to cool you down,” Blake laughed as he slammed the metal gate shut behind them and strode across the court. Michaela rolled her eyes at Zoe, understanding from experience that there was not much point in starting an argument.

“It’s a warm afternoon, you’ll be dry in no time,” Zoe said with a sympathetic smile. Michaela joined Blake’s side to verse Jayden and Zoe, and Jayden began the game with a powerful serve to Blake.

“So tell me again, how did Jayden propose? I need it for my best man toast,” Blake called out a few minutes into the game as he jogged after a stray ball. Zoe’s face perked up with delight as she recalled the events.

“Well you all know that I’m an aeroplane enthusiast,” she began, turning to face Jayden with adoring eyes. “So on the weekend he took me out to the recreational airfield where they were flying around a warplane, of all things.”

“Courtesy of moi, of course,” Jayden added. He didn’t want anyone to forget that he had spent a lot of money on making the proposal thoughtful and memorable.

“We had a quick lunch in the hanger and he gave me a red rose before we went outside for a better view of the plane,” Zoe continued, her smile widening as she spoke. “And it came in really close, dipping down towards the ground, and I watched it pass us, only to turn and see Jayden holding a ring.” She stepped closer to her fiancé, not breaking eye contact.

“And I didn’t even get a chance to ask her to marry me, she just screamed ‘yes’,” Jayden grinned before kissing Zoe.

“You guys are sickeningly cute,” Blake joked as he hit the tennis ball onto their side.

“I haven’t said the best part!” Zoe exclaimed.

“You got to ride in the warplane, we know,” Blake and Michaela chorused before everyone laughed.

After the game of tennis, the men went to Jayden’s gym to lift weights and the women entered the kitchen to have a glass of chilled orange juice. Instead of sitting on a stool as per usual, Zoe rushed to her handbag on the bench and pulled out the Chronos 300.

“What are you doing?” Michaela questioned as Zoe turned the device on, checking the doorway over her shoulder. “He doesn’t know, does he?”

“Of course not,” Zoe snapped before holding out the silver gadget. “Are you coming or not?” Michaela reluctantly grabbed a hold of the Chronos and Zoe hit the hourglass button, turning her kitchen into a flurry of colours. Zoe held her focus on her memory, and Michaela had to hold onto the Chronos even tighter than the last time as she felt as though she was slipping off it. Eventually the world around them stopped spinning and solidified into the scene of the airport where Jayden had proposed. Michaela smiled, taking in the lovely sun and smell of fresh air as they walked through the long grass towards the couple watching the warplane.

“What could possibly be wrong with this moment?” Michaela genuinely wondered. It wasn’t how she would want to be proposed to, but Jayden had clearly put a lot of thought into it and it was practically perfect for Zoe.

“He didn’t go down on one knee,” Zoe answered as she found the same instruction in the Chronos’ commands menu.

“Why does that matter?” Michaela asked while stealing a look at the expression on memory Zoe’s face. Her smile was priceless. Michaela doubted that Jayden kneeling could possibly make Zoe any happier.

“It’s just something I’ve always dreamed about, ever since we planned our weddings when we were little girls,” Zoe shrugged and her friend raised her eyebrows with uncertainty. “I said I was going to make a few minor tweaks. This is one of them.” Michaela nodded, understanding that it must mean a lot to Zoe, and guessing that such a small alteration wouldn’t noticeably change Jayden. Zoe selected the command and aimed the Chronos at the memory form of her fiancé. She then pressed the lightening bolt button and watched as the silver beam disappeared into Jayden. After a few more moments, the memory played out and past Zoe was transfixed by the warplane. Instead of simply holding out the engagement ring, Jayden casually ducked down onto one knee to propose. The memory Zoe still squealed her acceptance before past Jayden could pop the question, and Zoe watched as they still shared the same hugs and kisses as she originally remembered.

“Unbelievable…” Michaela whispered to herself, still shocked by the whole concept of altering the past. “Do you think he’ll be any different? Like, maybe he’ll go down on one knee just to ask normal questions now.” Zoe laughed at the thought and then held out the Chronos to her best friend. Michaela stole one last look at the beautifully romantic scene and then took a hold of the silver device to be returned to the present.