Playing with Chronos

s e v e n

Beneath the silk sheets in Blake’s bed, Michaela waited and stared at the ceiling. Her mind was racing, full of the events that had happened over the last week. Despite agreeing with Zoe to do her best to fit in and give Blake a chance at being her boyfriend, something she really hadn’t considered before, it was all too much. Whenever she felt as though she was doing all right at lowering her barriers, Blake would ask her something about their past. It stressed Michaela out to no end as she tried to think of an answer when her memory failed her. Eventually Blake would change the subject and Michaela would zone out, cursing Zoe and her time travelling antics.

At the sound of the faucet turning off, Michaela’s body stiffened. She desperately tried to relax as Blake exited the bathroom and flicked its light off before heading for her, but it seemed impossible.

“You really didn’t have to wait up, gorgeous, you know Fridays are always busy,” Blake remarked as he slid under the sheets in only boxers.

“I’m not working tomorrow, and I couldn’t sleep,” Michaela muttered as his arm brushed across her waist and pulled her into a cuddle. No doubt she would have found his actions sweet had she actually wanted to be his girlfriend, but Michaela only had the urge to push him away. She felt awful, she knew it was wrong, but giving him a chance was much easier said than done.

“So I was wondering…” Blake said, pausing to place a few pecks on her neck. “If you maybe wanted me to come to the zoo next week? I could come in the morning, like last time, and visit you if you’re not too busy.”

“Um, yeah, I guess that would be okay. I could probably make some room in my schedule,” Michaela replied with hesitation. She didn’t really want Blake at her work, as that would no doubt make him an even bigger distraction in her life. Michaela kept her gaze on the ceiling as she tried to find a memory of Blake visiting her at her workplace in this timeline, the one she hadn’t truly experienced, but she was drawing another blank.

“I just had so much fun last time…” Blake trailed off and Michaela plastered a smile on her face.

“Yeah, me too,” she agreed, reaching up and placing a hand atop his forearm that was draped across her stomach, holding onto what little comfort she could find.

“Just as long as I stay away from that penguin enclosure,” Blake continued before laughing. Michaela gave a short, unenthusiastic chuckle and was met with a frown from Blake. “You haven’t forgotten already, have you?” Her stomach dropped with anxiety as her brain refused to provide her with a memory of Blake and penguins.

“My memory’s a little hazy right now, I’m tired,” she mumbled. “Remind me?”

“How that one penguin came up and knocked over my bucket of fish and ate way too much?” Blake said and Michaela nodded.

“Yeah, that’s right. Soph wasn’t impressed,” she agreed cluelessly.

“Well as long as I get to see the bears I’ll be happy,” Blake said and Michaela offered him a smile, hoping he would elaborate on his own. “You definitely need to get a few more in so I can see more of my favourite animal.”

“That’s not up to me. I do research there, you know that,” she replied and suddenly she felt Blake’s arm stiffen.

“I do know that… So why don’t you know what my favourite animal is, or what dates we’ve been on?” Blake questioned and Michaela’s heart skipped a beat from fear. She finally met eyes with him and saw the pain etched into the creases of worry on his face and the heartache in his bright blue eyes.

“What?” was all she managed to breathe in response.

“I hate bears; they’re terrifying. I love giraffes and that was the exhibit you took me to when I visited, not the penguins,” Blake explained and Michaela’s lips parted with shock that he had been testing her. “And it’s not just that. You’ve gotten other details wrong too, whenever I talk to you. I don’t understand what’s going on, Michaela. Why have you been so distant? Is something wrong?”

“It’s- I-” she stammered, uncertain of what to say.

“Please just be honest,” Blake sighed. “I’m not going to be mad, I just need to know the truth, okay?” Michaela brought a hand up to her face and rubbed her eyes, not seeing a way out of it. Surely she could tell Blake. He was Jayden’s best friend, which meant that Zoe trusted him too. Besides, she was backed into a corner. Michaela inhaled slowly and then confessed to Blake what her and Zoe had done.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for the comments guys! The next update is the final chapter, so let me know what you think is going to happen, or what you would like to see happen!