Status: Active

Petrichor

Echoes

A voice dragged me out of my reverie. It was faint, barely a whisper, carried by the wind that came from my window. I set down my bow and violin. Even over the fast paced rhythm of Caprice 24 I heard it.

“That girl is really starting to annoy me.”

Once again I heard it, this time it was louder. It was enough to make me jump and head to my window. I looked out of my two story house; there was no one outside except for Mrs. Davis, who was sitting on her porch across the street. I hated her, ever since she laughed at me when I fell off of my bike when I was seven. She probably hated me too since I got accepted into St. James Boarding School and her daughter didn't.

I remember Shelby and I getting our letters on a bright Saturday morning. She waved at me as we both went to our mailbox, as if she knew she was going to get in and I wasn't. That’s what our minuscule of a friendship was made up of. Everything was a competition between us, who had the best grades, and even who had the best looking boyfriend. I was always runner up in that department. I've only had two relationships in my life so far, both ending in disaster.
I didn't even smile back as I got my mail and paced myself back to the house, pretending not to be excited and worried at the same time. I threw the rest of the mail on the kitchen counter and that’s when I saw it. The small dove stamped on the envelope. It was small, which I've always heard wasn't a good sign. I tore it open, reading the introduction I felt my mouth drop.

“Emma what did it say?” my mom asked as she combed back her long ebony hair.

“I got in.”

It was my choice to apply. My parents had no problem with me graduating from an ordinary public institution, and attend some ordinary state college, but when I found out about St James from my mother’s co-worker and that it combined General Ed requirements into their academics, I had to look into it.
St James reminded me of the kind of boarding schools only found in Gothic novels. Old architecture with great big buildings made it look more like a castle than a school. Don’t get me wrong it was beautiful, but that wasn't what made me fall in love with it. St James took schooling to a different level. As a student you were able to choose a major of your choice and actually integrated it into your studies. They took off two years of college, so when you graduated and pursued a higher education, you can immediately work on your major. Almost too good to be true, right? You still had to apply and only the best of the best got in. I mean, I got good grades, I was a 4.0 Sophomore taking Junior classes, but I always imagined myself too plain. I wasn't in any other extra-curricular activities besides orchestra. If anything Shelby Davis should've gotten in. She was a 4.0 student, homecoming queen, and famous for her photography that sometimes appeared in the local newspaper.
Boarding school wasn't too far from home. About an hour away from my small town in Maine. I noticed it was mostly secluded in the mountains, which worried me. I never liked the mountains. I think the idea that it was so easy to get lost scared me the most. I hated camping even though my father loved it. Since I was the only child I think it disappointed him that I wasn't the outdoorsy type.

Sitting on my bed now bare bed I started feeling the nervousness rise up from the pit of my stomach. Starting tomorrow I was going away, for two years without my parents; I was basically on my own. I was leaving my friends, which in retrospect wasn't all that disappointing. I never made close friends. The idea of solitude comforted me. I never had a problem being alone on Friday nights, when I should've been out to see a movie or go to the mall. The only comfort I needed was my violin. The slow humming when I drew my bow across her brought me somewhere else. Somewhere peaceful. There was no other feeling to describe that. It made me want to play more. I quickly stood up at the thought and brought up against me. The soft melody flowed around the room, with no intention of stopping. I wanted to move faster and louder. And I did. It wasn't until my mother called me down for dinner, four hours later, that I finally set my instrument down.

For my last meal her at the Parker residence, my mother cooked all my favorites. As every mother should when they’re about to send their daughter away for two whole years. I could barely contain my excitement when I smelled the orange chicken and stir fry vegetables at the table. I ate as much as I could. Desert was even better, homemade macaroons of all different flavors.

“I love you guys. “ I began to see my vision blur.

“We’ll miss you honey. We promise to call every day.” My father embraced me. I could see that he wanted to cry too. Like father like daughter we wouldn't allow the tears to fall.

The rest of the evening consisted of playing the family game: Uno. When it was finally time for bed my mother came to my room. She kissed my head and sat at the edge of my bed. I would miss the smell of her, lavender and fresh linen.

“I have something to you.”
She carried a small black box in her hands, “Open it.” She smiled.

Inside was a small gold bracelet that was brought together by a light lavender rock. It was jagged and uneven except for the bottom that was smooth.

“My mother gave that to me the day that I got my very first apartment. I think this would be an appropriate times to hand it over to you.” She drew out my arm and latched it for me. It sat perfectly on my wrist, almost like it was made for me.

“It’s engraved with something, but I never could make out what it said,” she shrugged, “She never explained what it said, not matter how times I asked. Maybe you can figure it out.”

I never learned much about my grandmother. She died around the time I was born and my mother rarely talked about her. I knew she was odd in some ways which made my mom leave all the more quicker.

“It’s beautiful mom, thank you.” I embraced her, trying not to cry.

“I know you’ll do amazing things Emma. I’m so proud of you and I always will be, I just want you to know that.” I felt her wipe away the tears from her eyes.

She sniffled and pulled away, “Get some rest okay? You have a big day tomorrow.”

She kissed my forehead one last time and shut my door. I waited a few minutes and flipped the light on. The engraving was on the bottom of the rock smudged, like someone wanted those words gone. I couldn’t make out anything on the rock. With a sigh I gave up and slipped the bracelet back on. My eyes grew heavy and soon I fell into a deep sleep.

In the morning I awoke to somber faces. I quietly ate my breakfast along with my father. The house was usually filled with chaos; the television would be blaring out the morning news, my mother shouting at my father to come and eat, but not this time. The TV was off, my father came straight to the table, and my mom quietly set down breakfast. After I was done, I told them that I was going to go shower and get dressed. They murmured their okay’s and I left the dead silent kitchen.

My parents had checked out the room I’d be staying in two weeks ago. I had my own, which I didn't think was going to be possible. They also checked out the classes I’d be taking, talked with my teachers, the only person they didn't meet was the Dean. He emailed my parents letting them know he’d be us personally when we arrived. Upon doing my research on The Dean of Students three weeks prior, I noticed he received a doctorate in Genetic Research. I caught that was strange. His name was Dr. Kell Hanson; there was no picture anywhere on the web, the only thing that was there were his numerous awards in Genetics. You’d think a man with those kind of credentials would be doing bigger things than be the Dean of some old boarding school, but who was I to judge? I made myself wave it off since it was my way of being paranoid. I always came up with a worst case scenario for everything. Bad habit as I would call it.

The morning was cold, but bright. Not a cloud in sight, but I knew that would change, I heard it was going to rain all week. As I got into the car I could see Mrs. Davis waving my mother off. She was putting on that fake smile; Shelby was standing right behind her, looking at me with pure jealousy. I knew this would be the last time I’d see her, so when Mrs. Davis called out to her dogs, I took my chance and stuck my tongue out. Shelby returned the favor by flipping the bird. My smile grew wider; I almost liked the feeling of superiority. As we drove off I slipped in my ear buds and drifted asleep to the sound of Bach.

My father shook me awake. I stepped out of the car, taking my buds out I gasped. The school was even bigger in person. Huge pointed towers reached for the sky, along the edge stood gargoyles at every corner, like they were watching over the grounds. Kids all wearing the dark navy blue coats gathered just outside and I knew I’d have to wear the same navy blue coat and plaid skirt. I only had three boxes to take since my parents had already moved my stuff in. As we headed toward the east wing, a tall scrawny man stood on the steps. He had sand pepper hair and dark eyes. He had the kind of eyes that looked like you were up to something.

“Hello, Mary and Frank, I’ve been so anxious to meet you!” he smiled and stuck his hand out. My father shook it with vigor.

“This must be Emma, I’ve looked over your file personally and I can say you are one amazing girl!” his smile was almost too bright, but I had no choice but to go along with it.

“Thank you so much, that really does mean a lot to me.” I smiled as hard as I could.

He gestured us to come inside, and then he started explaining some things to my parents about the school. Most of the information I already knew, like how there was a curfew (6:00 pm sharp), and visiting days are every three weeks. As I started to grow bored, I started to hear whispers. They were so small I could barely make out what they were saying. I tried to focus on Dr. Kell as he led us into my room. It was huge with bright white walls that almost made my eyes burn. I knew I was going to have to fix that. The sun came through two wide bay windows that overlooked the courtyard. I knew I’d love it here; it was everything I could wish for.

“I hope you find this room to your liking.” The man smiled wide.

“Are you kidding? This is amazing!” I grinned, “Thank you.”

“My Pleasure, I’m sorry to leave in such a rush, I have other matters to attend to. Miss Parker, I’ll see you next week for our weekly session.” With that he closed the door.

“He was a very lovely man, don’t you think Frank?” my father nodded in agreement, “I do, Emma if you have any questions, he said his door is always open.”

“I guess it’s time for us to go now.” My mother’s eyes were glassy, but before a tear could fall, I embraced her.
“Don’t worry about me mom, I promise I’ll be okay, and I’ll call. You won’t have to worry.” I heard her choke back a sob, “I know Emma, and we love you.”

I gave my dad a hug and before I knew it they were gone. I had never felt so alone in my life. My parents were everything to me, they were all I had.

After packing and arranging all of my things to my liking, I noticed it was already dark. I didn't eat; the nerves of my first day beginning tomorrow didn't allow me. I set out my uniform for the morning and next thing I knew was in bed and asleep before eight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Your feedback is always welcomed! Please comment and tell me what you think so far:)