My Wife

A Short Story

“Honey, I’m home!” I yelled

Greeting me from the doorway was my wife’s heavenly cooking. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply, enjoying the most delicious, mouthwatering smell of my favorite dish; homemade lasagna.
Shaking my head back to reality, I closed the door behind me and walked in the dining room to place my black briefcase on the table.

“Smells lovely,” I said, taking my brown leather coat off.

Nothing but silence.

“Laura?”

Still with my coat in one hand, I began to make my way in the kitchen, passing the stairs on my way, but stopped when I heard a faint voice saying, “I’m in the shower,” coming from the upstairs bedroom.

With a sigh of relief, I put my coat in the hallway closet, then walked back to the stairs.
Feeling kind of weary, I slowly dragged my feet one stair out of time, while taking my tie off.
It has been a very long day. All I want to do is change into my pajamas and sit on my favorite couch and watch the football game.

My stomach suddenly growled letting me know it’s hungry.
Oh yes and enjoying my wife’s cooking in the process.

I stopped in the middle of the stairs and looked at a wedding photo of me and my beautiful, blonde haired, blue eyed wife, hanging on the wall.
I chuckled remembering how nervous I was that day. I must have been sweating a rain storm.
Countless of memories then started floating in my mind. What a wonderful four years. I wouldn’t change it for the world.

How did I get so lucky? I thought.

What seems to be forever, I finally made it all the way up. As I was getting closer to the bedroom, I heard the water running.

She must be in the shower.

I stumbled in the bedroom, making a fool out of myself, and began undressing.

“You will not believe the kind of day I had.”

While putting on my pajamas I told her all about it. She listened, not saying a word.

Then the sound of the doorbell interrupted.

Who could that be this late at night?

“Can you get that,” my wife uttered.

I put on my robe and started walking down the stairs.

Hmm that’s weird.

I stopped and glanced at the kitchen that you can see from up here.

It doesn’t look like it was even touched.

Ignoring my ridiculous thought. I walked all the way down and was about to open the door when I noticed my wife’s car keys wasn’t there.
The doorbell rang again. Brushing it off, I opened it immediately and was greeted by a police officer.

“Can I help you?” I said, confused.

“Are you Todd Mcguire?”

“Yes, yes I am.”

“There has been an accident with your wife..” He began to say, “Your wife has been hit by a drunk driver.”

He paused for a few seconds with a little sadness in his eyes.

“I’m so sorry… she died instantly.”